AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be hooking up several sources to a Sony Qualia 004 projector. The projector can output a 1080p24sf image.

I am looking for a processor/scaler with excellent image quality which will provide at least 2 DVI/HDMI inputs with HDCP, at least 2 component inputs, at least 2 S-video inputs and at least 1 composite input, all for output to the projector.

Image quality is the most important.

What should I be looking at?

Thanks

· Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can anyone comment on the Picture Quality of the Lumagen?

Does it actually accomodate 1080p24sf (24 frae progressive - segmented frame)?

Thanks

· Registered
128 Posts
If PQ is most important,

you should be looking at a Teranex.

A 3RU would be a great choice,

as would be a scaler fitted with Realta,

e.g. Algolith Dragonfly.

· Registered
128 Posts
$50 GRAND if you need a professional Teranex unit.

But if you're not in post-production, you can stick with an affordable device with the [$xx] Realta.

· Registered
879 Posts
I second the motion and recomend the coming OEM boxes carrying the Silicon Optics Realta chip .

The dilema is if you want a scaler now then the Lumagen is it for quality vs price .

If you can wait untill Q2 2005 then there will be lots of choice with TERANEX on a chip boxes .

There is perhaps depending on license restrictions for proprietary algorithim value added features the possibility that Lumagen will have a model replacing there sigma design chip with this exciting Realta one .

One can only hope someone will offer the right combination for under $2K .

· Registered
17,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by REWJR
I second the motion and recomend the coming OEM boxes carrying the Silicon Optics Realta chip .

The dilema is if you want a scaler now then the Lumagen is it for quality vs price .

If you can wait untill Q2 2005 then there will be lots of choice with TERANEX on a chip boxes .

There is perhaps depending on license restrictions for proprietary algorithim value added features the possibility that Lumagen will have a model replacing there sigma design chip with this exciting Realta one .

One can only hope someone will offer the right combination for under $2K .

I guess timing is it.

If you're an installer, and you have a job pending, then you have to move sooner rather than later. And as much as I would like to believe that a well functioning realta based box would be available in Q2, lets be honest. How likely is it that it'll happen with a first generation device. The Dragonfly won't have SDI input on their first model and that's the only one that's announced at this point. By the time someone comes out with a scaler/deinterlacer that's has most the features you really need and has most the bugs worked out, you are looking much further out.

If you're looking at a $30K projector, then buying one of the currently solutions with the plan of upgrading in a year(more or less) would be the thing to do.

(other crystal ball sessions are available by calling 1-800-GET-FUTURE) :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.