AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Look for projector recommendations and I'm willing to spend up to $1,200 (whether buying new or in the used market).
My current projector is a 10+year old JVC DLA-RS35.
My current screen is a 120" 2.35:1 Carada "Brilliant White" (1.3 or 1.4 gain - can't remember).
Throw distance, from screen surface to projector lens, is just over 13' (I think).

My usage is as follows:
90% Movies
10% - Music Videos (Youtube)
0% - Gaming
0% - Sports

Right now, I set the zoom on my projector so the 16:9 image falls outside the 2.35:1 screen. Since 90% of my usage is movies, it's never really bothered me that I'm losing some of the 16:9 image due to current zoom settings.

I have two windows in the room - so not 100% light controlled - thus I do most of my watching in the evening hours.

Ideally, it would be nice to find a projector:
a) that is brighter than my current JVC
b) has lens zoom memory (for occasional switching between 16:9 and 2.35:1)
c) maybe go with E-shift technology, as opposed to true 4K - I don't feel like going through the process of upgrading every component of my home theater system. A better option for me would be to still provide the projector 1080p contact, the projector can then "enhance" the image via pixel-shift technology.

While I could care less about input lag, true 4k, etc. - one thing that is important for me is a decent contrast ratio. My JVC may be ancient, but it still has excellent black level.

Lastly, while I'm okay spending up to $1,200 for a projector, I would love to find a budget projector (say $600 - $800 range). I'm hoping that a budget projector today will exceed both the contrast/brightness of my JVC from 10+year back.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
No, JVC is still king in the contrast department and has no competition. You might be able to find a used JVC RS400 or better in your price range as they are much brighter then your model. The only other option is the Epson UB series, only the refurbished 5040ub is in your price range and is getting hard to find. Expect to take a hit to contrast but a very bright projector. The used JVC market from private sellers tends to be way over priced but if your diligent reasonable prices do come up.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Ideally, it would be nice to find a projector:
a) that is brighter than my current JVC
b) has lens zoom memory (for occasional switching between 16:9 and 2.35:1)
c) maybe go with E-shift technology, as opposed to true 4K - I don't feel like going through the process of upgrading every component of my home theater system. A better option for me would be to still provide the projector 1080p contact, the projector can then "enhance" the image via pixel-shift technology.
You literally described an Epson 6040UB.

Expect a drop in contrast/black level but other than that, yeah, go for it. Used JVC is another option but for your budget, I don't think you will get the brightness you want and likely will have to replace a lamp sooner than you'd like to, in order to get the brightness you want.

6040UB should have warranty on the PJ and bulb still too which is helpful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts