AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, it's been a while since I posted here. I'm turning one of my bedrooms (10.5x10) into a mini home theater. Dark paint, carpet, everything! But I need a new receiver for that room. Being so small, alot of power is not needed, but clean power is. I am thinking that a model like the Onkyo TX-SR500 is best for me. It is rated at only 65 watts/ channel ,but I expect that this amp will outperform all those other cheap $300 amps that are rated at 100 watts channel. This receiver simply has less bells and whistles. Any thoughts on this? Other recommendations? I also like Pioneer and Kenwood stuff.

·
Registered
195 Posts
check out yamaha HTR-5540 $299.00 it has dolby digital, dts and dolby pro logic 2, cinema dsp circuitry.Rated at 75wattsx5 into 8 ohms

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Denon 1602 or 1802.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Denon models are out of my price range. This is a low buck theater. Wait till you see pictures, though. I am a GC and therefore can do all work myself. It's going to have advanced electronic lighting, maroon and green walls, night sky blue ceiling, midnight blue curtains and gold rope piping! It's going to be sweet. I'll get the Denon 3802 for mt next house, but this has to be low buck. I looked into the Yamaha. Same price range, but it has one less digital input. It make up for that with the "Quad-Field Cinema DSP" that supposedly makes a phantom rear surround for matrixed Dolby EX and DTS ES matrix sountracks. does this work, or should I stick to the Onkyo?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Shahram72 the Quad-field cinema dsp sounds pretty impressive, Im not familiar with onkyo TX-SR500 but have heard other Onkyo recievers which are also very impressive.If you auditioned the onkyo and it meets your needs stick with it.Ht setup sounds very cool.Good luck sure you will make the right choice.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Saw the Pioneer 811, it has true EX, but does it detect the DTS-ES flags and do a true ES, or does it do a matrixed center for DTS-ES? Isn't my little room to small for 7.1? And I already have my surrounds and they're not dipoles, which I would need for 7.1. They are RCA PRO-LX55. The ones with the Linaem ribbon tweeter. I think they'll make good surrounds. I'm using a good but older Infinity center I already have, but need front speakers. I'm leaning toward Infinity Entre ones, I think?

·
Registered
54 Posts
i am using the same speakers, i have six of 'em(actually the pro l-x 5's)along with the matching cntr. chnl.spkr. the 8lls preforms quite well with these spkrs..of course these are helped with 2- 8 cubic ft. subs. hey what can i say all total i have about 150-175 bucks in the speakers . not counting the subs.(diy'ers.).

·
Registered
216 Posts
some authorized dealers (other than big chain stores) sell denon 1802 at $400 maybe you can get 1602s for less (they usually sell it 20% off the MSRP check the denon website for authorized dealers around your area.

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
stay away from panasonic technics at all costs

they have the worst customer service in the industry

i bought a sada10 in jan 02 its been in for repairs for all but 15 days in 6 months-yup true

when they sent a replacment they sent the lowest model they make

now they want to refund my money but that will take another 6-8 weeks

they never give a straight answer-if you call about the same thing and talk to different people you get totaly different answers

its not worth taking a chance on a company that treats you like dirt when you have a problem(i got so mad i took my 1 year old panasonic vcr and beat it to a pulp with a sledge hammer just to get some kind of sattisfaction)

they are -well you get the idea

if you think its only me its not i did some research on coplaints .com and found 8 other people with service problems on different panasonic-technics products

people dont realize how important customerservice until they deal with a company like panasonic

my 10 year old yamaha broke- when i went to buy the part yamaha said that the bad part should not have broken and gave me a free replacment

the part cost 200$ i only paid 300$ for the reciever new but i liked it so i was willing to fix it

thats why i now have a rxv1 yamaha and wait 6-8 more weeks for my panasonic headache to end

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why recommend a Denon 1602 over the lowest Onkyo. So far I like the Onkyo. It's high quality and has 3 digital inputs while others in this class have 2.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A store here has a last Denon AVR-3801 for $360. Should I jump on it? Does this unit do DD5.1 EX and DTS ES Discrete or matrixed?

·
Registered
366 Posts
A 3801 at that price is a steal. If you want a DPL II unit, I got a Denon 1802 for my bedroom theater and it serves my purposes very well. I paid $330 online (but no warranty). This or the 1602 are probably the best units for what you are looking for. I was not overly impressed with the quality of the lower priced Onkyos.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Onkyo and Denon receivers have different characteristics in the sound they feed to the speakers. Onkyos tend to sound a little bright while Denons tend to sound warm. It all depends on your preference.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, went to get it this afternoon and it was a 2801, not a 3801. Still a good deal. But I didn't need it. So now I'm still confused. I am still considering Onkyo or Yamaha, but the Yamaha has one less digital input which is a concern. How about Pioneer 711 or 811. Are these same quality sound or am I sacrificing sound for features? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I am now leaning toward the Yamaha HTR-5550. MSRP of $400. It has plently of digital inputs and binding posts which both lacked on the $300 HTR-5540. It also has that Quad-Field Cinema DSP for 6.1 tracks. I have heard that Yamaha's DSP modes actually work well. I have used them on my Kenwood and on a Sony and prefered the untouched sound. I think this is the best model for me. Unfortunately, no store stocks it, I have to buy online. Crutchfield if I want service, or save $100 and get no service.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ive been using a Yamaha htr 5140 for 3 years now and been very happy with it. I think it performs well in dolby digital playback and it has great dsp modes for it's price range (In my opinion, you would have to spend as least $800 for better dsp processors if you want something better). Have you checked http://www.audioreview.com for opinions on receivers you are considering? This is a good website (if you want inputs) that provides opinions on A/V components by owner's of these products. But word of advise, don't take anybody's word for it, try it yourself before purchasing. good luck

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How can you try something yourself? Store demo's are useless. And there are no stores locally that stock Yamaha that sell at anything less than full retail.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.