AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm close to purchasing an HG10.

But I have a question. After recording and hooking it up to a computer, is it simple to convert the video files to a common format such as .wmv or .mov? And will they still be in HD after that is done?

I mainly want to take videos and put them on a data cd to send to my friend. I want it to be as simple as her putting the data cd into her laptop's disc drive and watching the videos fast and easy. Is this easily doable?

Thank you!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes, The Canon includes Corel software that allows you to convert the footage to a DVD for regular DVD drives or a AVCHD disc for Bluray players, unfortunatly your footage will loose some of its quality when converting to regular DVD.... you can also just drag the footage from the camcorder onto your computer and play the RAW AVCHD clips with the softwares included player, you can use any software such as Pinnacle , Nero and others to convert the AVCHD footage to any format of your choosing as well, The HG10 is a great camcorder, I love mine....

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorking /forum/post/14182269

Yes, The Canon includes Corel software that allows you to convert the footage to a DVD for regular DVD drives or a AVCHD disc for Bluray players, unfortunatly your footage will loose some of its quality when converting to regular DVD.... you can also just drag the footage from the camcorder onto your computer and play the RAW AVCHD clips with the softwares included player, you can use any software such as Pinnacle , Nero and others to convert the AVCHD footage to any format of your choosing as well, The HG10 is a great camcorder, I love mine....

Question though. While a PS3 will play raw AVCHD, my Sharp Blu-Ray player will not.

So does that mean I'd have to do a time-consuming conversion to some high def format, like mov or wmv, in order to play back in high def? I heard it can take like 10 minutes to encode 1 minute of AVCHD, on a dual core like my PC.

So if I have to convert the files anyway, I'm wondering if the HV30 is better for me since I don't have a way to play back AVCHD on my TV.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong /forum/post/14196382

Question though. While a PS3 will play raw AVCHD, my Sharp Blu-Ray player will not.

So does that mean I'd have to do a time-consuming conversion to some high def format, like mov or wmv, in order to play back in high def?

It is already high def, no conversion is necessary. You should be able to play it on any Blu-ray player (Samsung is a wildcard here, its "BD on DVD" support is sketchy). All you need is to create a proper Blu-ray disk structure. This is what I do: http://www.elurauser.com/articles/avchd_to_bluray.jsp You don't have to follow the procedure exactly, just take a look what the BDMV file structure looks like.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann /forum/post/14197769

It is already high def, no conversion is necessary. You should be able to play it on any Blu-ray player (Samsung is a wildcard here, its "BD on DVD" support is sketchy). All you need is to create a proper Blu-ray disk structure. This is what I do: http://www.elurauser.com/articles/avchd_to_bluray.jsp You don't have to follow the procedure exactly, just take a look what the BDMV file structure looks like.

That's still AVCHD, my Sharp Blu-Ray player won't read AVCHD. I think only the Sony Blu-Ray players can read them, so far.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong /forum/post/14199509

That's still AVCHD, my Sharp Blu-Ray player won't read AVCHD. I think only the Sony Blu-Ray players can read them, so far.

No, this is not AVCHD, this is Blu-ray. Well, OK, this is not strictly Blu-ray as Blu-ray assumes BD media. This is "BDMV on DVD" and most players accept it as real Blu-ray. Many if not most Sony, Panasonic and Samsung players accept this format, including the PS3 as well.

The difference between AVCHD and Blu-ray is just directory structure and file names.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann /forum/post/14199727

No, this is not AVCHD, this is Blu-ray. Well, OK, this is not strictly Blu-ray as Blu-ray assumes BD media. This is "BDMV on DVD" and most players accept it as real Blu-ray. Many if not most Sony, Panasonic and Samsung players accept this format, including the PS3 as well.

The difference between AVCHD and Blu-ray is just directory structure and file names.

My Sharp is first gen, and I think Sharp didn't implement that capability. So I'm wondering how to play back HD camcorder files on my Sharp, or on the 360? Will you have to transcode them to mpeg4 or something?

That link you posted has a file I can burn to DVD and try though, thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whoa, now, wait a second. Is that accurate?

What I want to do is convert the movie files to a common format, like .wmv, so that I can put them on a data dvd for my friend to watch on a laptop.

Is it really going to take 10 minutes to convert 1 minute...?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts