AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tapping into my wiring for my ceiling fan, that was installed when my house was built 3 1/2 years ago. The fan is controled by a couple of switches. One controls the light one controls the fan.

* In my ceiling were the fan was I have the following wires: Red, Black, White, Copper. I know the Black is HOT, White is Neutral, Copper is GROUND. But what is the Red one for? Is that the second HOT wire?

* If the Red wire is a HOT wire too, I'm only going to use the Black, white and copper wires for my projector outlet. What do I do with the Red wire? I can't leave it bare, can I? Do I disconnect it from the out on the switch?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Yes black & red are hot, one controls the light & the other the fan. Disconnect at the switch. Just put a wire nut on each end to stub the wire.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA /forum/post/13011516

Yes black & red are hot, one controls the light & the other the fan. Disconnect at the switch. Just put a wire nut on each end to stub the wire.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks. Will do. I just finish fishing the romex about 6 feet.
Well. I'm about to make my connections and then give it a try.

I'll post some pics late tonight. I have a birthday dinner in about 2 hours. For a friend of ours not for me.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My projector outlet is connected to the fan switch.

Now I'm trying to connect a light fixture to the light switch.

I connected the Black from the light to the red from the switch.

I connected the copper wires from both (projector and light fixture) to the ground screw.

So what do I do with the white wire from the light fixture? Do I connect it to the other whites?
Simmilar to what I did with the copper wires.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Yes the white (neutral) goes with the other whites.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I think this is what your trying to accomplish.

Note: I have not shown grounds as hopefully you know they all need to be pig-tailed toghter in each both and connected to the grounds on the switch, recepticle & light.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah but I have 2 switches. One for the Light and One for the Projector. The switch for the Projector I bypassed so I don't have to worry about someone turning off my projector when their trying to turn of one of the lights on the same switch panel. (4 switches total) I took the Black coming into the switch and the one coming out of the switch and connected them together with a wire nut, bypassing the switch. Leaving the copper wire that was chained through the whole switch panel connected. That switch doesn't do anything now. I have constant power to the projector outlet.

Well I got it done last night when I got back from the restaurant. It worked on the first try. Both the projector and light.

Thanks for all the input. I love this site!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts