AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've posted this similar topic before w/o any solid replys. I am looking for a good receiver that is HDMI 1080p, supports truehd lossless sound... a level 6 receiver, at a decent price/ would prefer to pick it up in a store, but websites are fine too.

My problem is im not receiver savvy. And reading future proof receivers, I still can't get a solid answer.

"Hey the SONY DENON YAMMY model #____ will do 7.1 and sound great for BD/HD and work good with comcast hdmi cable". Is kinda what i'm looking for, simple is great for me hehe.

Please help if anyone can, I want to buy midrange, so $500ish would be great, as I have a yammy (5.1 - $299 when I bought it) now with a 6.1 JBL speaker pack... (sounds fairly good for our room size) so i would need 1 more speaker, and suggestions here also would be great =P. (the JBL's came in a box deal for $300 USD I believe, I don't know the model # though
)

I'll be buying today/tomorrow, if at all possible, so any help guys would be greatly appreciated! I know I've missed some posts that prob. mention a few good receivers, but its hard to surf them all with my lil one =P so again, help is appreciated.

~~room size is prob. considered small to med, but its a loft so it echos and sounds really good where we are. Our HDTV is a 60A2000, and hd dvd is the hd-a1 or the xbox 360 add on hddvd player, and our blu ray is the PS3, the cable is comcast digital hdmi, if i'm missing any more needed info please tell me and i'll get it on here asap.

Thanks in advance!!

-S-

·
Banned
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpoet35 /forum/post/0

Hey guys,

I've posted this similar topic before w/o any solid replys. I am looking for a good receiver that is HDMI 1080p, supports truehd lossless sound... a level 6 receiver, at a decent price/ would prefer to pick it up in a store, but websites are fine too.

My problem is im not receiver savvy. And reading future proof receivers, I still can't get a solid answer.

"Hey the SONY DENON YAMMY model #____ will do 7.1 and sound great for BD/HD and work good with comcast hdmi cable". Is kinda what i'm looking for, simple is great for me hehe.

Please help if anyone can, I want to buy midrange, so $500ish would be great, as I have a yammy (5.1 - $299 when I bought it) now with a 6.1 JBL speaker pack... (sounds fairly good for our room size) so i would need 1 more speaker, and suggestions here also would be great =P. (the JBL's came in a box deal for $300 USD I believe, I don't know the model # though
)

I'll be buying today/tomorrow, if at all possible, so any help guys would be greatly appreciated! I know I've missed some posts that prob. mention a few good receivers, but its hard to surf them all with my lil one =P so again, help is appreciated.

~~room size is prob. considered small to med, but its a loft so it echos and sounds really good where we are. Our HDTV is a 60A2000, and hd dvd is the hd-a1 or the xbox 360 add on hddvd player, and our blu ray is the PS3, the cable is comcast digital hdmi, if i'm missing any more needed info please tell me and i'll get it on here asap.

Thanks in advance!!

-S-

I thought the Pioneer 1016 is a pretty exceptional receiver, 100w x 7 and THX certified.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read a lil about this via a cnet review, good midrange receiver, but will it do all the things I'm looking for? playing nice with HD and BD and HD cable? PCM lossless sound. Just want to make sure i'm getting that "level 6" receiver
BTW I can go upwards of $1000, if that is the problem, but just want a really good deal. Quality, as I've learned, doesn't have to always be the most expensive.

So Bump! Any other suggestions> or advice> or is the pioneer mentioned above work as a level 6 receiver?

Thanks again

-S-

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:

Hey guys,

)

Thanks in advance!!

-S-

Working with Comcast cable is the tricky part. If you can verify that your Comcast box (assuming you are connecting over HDMI) works with the Yamaha 1700/2700 I can reccomend either. You could wait for the 2700 review on Audioholics to be sure it does not have the LFE bug as there are conflicting reports. If it doesn't, chances are good that the 1700 doesn't have it either.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank [email protected]

Yes the comcast is over HDMI, it is a motorola make I believe. Yammy is sounding good, I saw:

Yamaha HTR-6090 1080p 7.1-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver on Universal LCD for $649.00, is this a good model? The post I was reading from stated it was "just like a" v1700/ I dont know much about either... heres the link though.

http://www.universallcd.com/index.as...ch=6090&Page=1

http://www.universallcd.com/index.as...ch=6090&Page=1

-sorry link is not working only gets you to their home page, the second one here works.

I'm going for the sale today if at all possible, so any last min. advice would be great. I'll Check out the 2 you recommended, and then hopefully be a proud new owner heh.

Thanks again.

·
Read the FAQ!
36,618 Posts
Beware.

Many HDMI cable TV boxes, and some satellite boxes, have a bug in their implementation of the HDCP (copy protection) portion of HDMI. The moment they discover they are not DIRECTLY connected to a TV (i.e., discover there's a receiver in the middle) they simply give up!

This is a bug in the cable box -- not in the receiver or TV. There are VERY few HDMI receivers and pre/pros out there which have implemented a way to work around this bug in the cable boxes (the trick is for the receiver to lie to the box and tell it that it is directly connected to a TV, but this is difficult to do and still maintain the AVR's own HDCP-compliance and not introduce other problems). This bug in most such cable boxes has a fix implemented by the actual manufacturers of the boxes, but it is often hard to impossible to get cable providers to make the bug fix available to you.

And the Motorola HDMI cable boxes used by Comcast are big offenders here.

--Bob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ugg~! I did not know this. Well, I could use the 2 HDMI's for the PS3 and the HD DVD player, and just use optical for the Comcast...

I just want incredible sound watching blu ray and HD Dvd with the wife, after all the coin we have spent on upgrading our "lil home entertainment area" I just don't want to make a mistake here with the receiver.....

·
Read the FAQ!
36,618 Posts
Yes, optical digital audio and Component video from the Comcast will work fine for you.

Some Comcast local markets have actually released the fix for this bug for some of the Motorola HDMI boxes. You might want to just try it and see what luck you have. But be sure you have a free Component video and optical digital audio input on the receiver just in case you are not so lucky.

Also consider whether you want to get a receiver that will "up-convert" (more properly "transcode") Component video input to HDMI output. If so, you can run Component video from the Comcast to the receiver and have all video go via HDMI to the TV. If not, you will ALSO need to run Component video cables from the receiver to the TV or from the Comcast direct to the TV. And with that type of connection, when you want to watch Comcast you will need to change input selection both on the receiver and on the TV.

--Bob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bob-

I really appreciate all the help. What would you recommend >receiver-wise I really want to order today if I can so I can get the receiver here asap

I am trying to get "that level 6 future-proof receiver"... but still get very confused about lossless sound, PCM, 7.1 all channel and able to do 5.1 too, it's all very hard to absorb....

I want to be able to connect it all easily, and enjoy BD/HD dvd with the wife and really hear a difference that blows us away
Guess basically what everyone wants... heh. From what I gather reading as much as I can here, with several intermissions (Daughter) that the dennon and Yammy are good solid choices or Onkyo... Now for some model numbers. Also, if possible, I would love to pick this unit up form a store rather than ordering and having to wait. We have several stores near-by, i.e. Best buy, Magnolia, Circuit city, and a few others, so if you, or anyone for that matter, might know a good receiver, placed at one of these stores that meets the level 6 "status" please pop in.

Thank you!

·
Read the FAQ!
36,618 Posts
I'm sorry but I don't have any specific recommendations to offer you. I just haven't investigated units in your price range.

I'm using an Anthem Statement D2 pre/pro myself, and it works very well. But be sure you are sitting down before you look up the price.

--Bob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bob-

Are most level 6 receivers over 1000 USD?

I'm, again, not receiver savvy enough to know this off the bat...

If that is the case, then as close as I can get to solid 7.1/5.1 capable HDMI sound for BD and HD movies would be perfect.

Otherwise, I hope someone who knows a good deal about the "future proof" receivers jumps in heh. I'm looking at sites now to try and make a purchase, and it's getting harder as alot of them advertise 1080p sound, 7.1 channels, BD and HD ready.... heh.

·
Banned
43 Posts

Quote:

I read a lil about this via a cnet review, good midrange receiver, but will it do all the things I'm looking for? playing nice with HD and BD and HD cable? PCM lossless sound. Just want to make sure i'm getting that "level 6" receiver
BTW I can go upwards of $1000, if that is the problem, but just want a really good deal. Quality, as I've learned, doesn't have to always be the most expensive.

So Bump! Any other suggestions> or advice> or is the pioneer mentioned above work as a level 6 receiver?

Thanks again

-S-

I honestly dont know what level 6 means. I if thats a THX thing, I doubt a $400 reciever meets the full blown THX. I dont need the HDMI swithing it offers cuz I already have 2 inputs on the TV. I think I heard it doesnt send switch the audio over the HDMI. I sure more $ gets you more. This one is aobut $400 which is what I thought was the range you were at. I send SPDIF (coax and optical) to it. It has 5 inputs, way more then I need. Digital audio sounds great. TV, DVD, DVR all digital input. Very flexible in assignment audio inputs to wherever you want. I really like the auto calibration. I can set the provided mic right next to my ear where I sit and it automatically adjust volume, phase etc. It also does auto equalization but not very many bands, maybe 6 bands I think. I dont think it does a subwoofer equalization. I like the result but I do tweek the highs up a bit to compensate for my high end hearing loss from too many rock concerts. Watching master and commander, which I think was nominated for academy award for sound is fantastic with the sound. It really demonstrates the dynamic range from quiet to cannons blasting out bulkheads. And in that movie they did a great job of positioning the sound and you can hear the creaks of the boat and other sounds in perspective to the video position. Add tremendously to the movie watching experience.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry,

To clarify- level 6 receiver, as in the one that is mentioned "stickied" at the top of this forum... the one about future proof receivers. But I do appreciate your taking the time to reply as I am still very much at a loss, as I go out tomorrow to pick one up... guess it will be a shoot/miss thing.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:

Sorry,

To clarify- level 6 receiver, as in the one that is mentioned "stickied" at the top of this forum... the one about future proof receivers. But I do appreciate your taking the time to reply as I am still very much at a loss, as I go out tomorrow to pick one up... guess it will be a shoot/miss thing.

Well, both 1016txv and SR604 are not level6. 1016txv does not do audio over HDMI, so I guess that can be classified as level2 and Onkyo SR604 as a level4.

Per sticky thread, the cheapest confirmed level6 receiver is Denon AVR-887 (MSRP $699). You should be able to get it below MSRP though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.