AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a pair of polk Monitor 70's and am looking for a receiver to match it with. i'm probably going to stick with a 2.0 setup for a bit before adding a center channel (the CS2 from what i've been reading) or even a powered sub later. they're mainly going to be in a 12x12 room for movies/music (hooked up to a tv/boxee box for video and a laptop/ipod for music) and occasionally a 25x15 living room during smaller house parties for music. what would you suggest for a receiver in the $400ish range or less?

also, these questions may be for another subforum and i'll continue googling for answers but hopefully someone can briefly help with these as well...

speaker wire suggestions? banana plugs? benefits from adding a center channel/powered sub?

as you can probably tell this is my first time investing in home audio gear... thanks for the help!

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Speaker wire...

Get some lamp cord from your local hardware store in 12 or 14ga. (as in yes, lamp cord. The same stuff plugging the receiver and all your lamps into the wall)

Banana plugs...

Waste of money unless you plan on moving this thing all over the room all the time.

Center channel...

Directed voices and centralized action is why you get one.

Subwoofer...

Save your pennies. The 70 is already a stout speaker, so a "beginner" subwoofer won't do much for you. I'd shoot strait to $300+(anything under that won't really do anything the 70's aren't).

As far as receiver, we need to know what you plan to use/hook up to it...

Wii?

VCR?

Networking(pandora/slacker/itunes)?

Ipod?

BD?

DVD?

Victrola?

Magnavox Odyssey?

RCA CED?

Laserdisc?

HD cable/sat?

HTPC?

Need/care about 3D? (if this comes "off the table", you can look for used receivers as far back as 2008...and yes we can help with that)

Need/care about 2nd zone?

Need/care about macro remote?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'll probably just get a roll of speaker wire from monoprice. as for banana plugs, i think i'm going to spring for some as well simply for the convenience factor when moving the speakers from upstairs in my room downstairs to the living room. the inputs will be an HD cable box, a boxee box (like a roku player if you're unfamiliar with it), and a laptop/ipod most likely using an rca to aux cable unless there's a higher quality way of going about it. airplay would be nice but it's definitely not required if a physical input is going to be of higher quality. don't care about 3D or any of that jazz...

·
Registered
1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepanther /forum/post/20805451

i'll probably just get a roll of speaker wire from monoprice. as for banana plugs, i think i'm going to spring for some as well simply for the convenience factor when moving the speakers from upstairs in my room downstairs to the living room. the inputs will be an HD cable box, a boxee box (like a roku player if you're unfamiliar with it), and a laptop/ipod most likely using an rca to aux cable unless there's a higher quality way of going about it. airplay would be nice but it's definitely not required if a physical input is going to be of higher quality. don't care about 3D or any of that jazz...

There any number of receivers in your price point.

You mentioned Airplay, so you might look at receivers that handle that.

·
Registered
29,190 Posts
Pioneer and Denon both use Airplay. You should be able to get the Pioneer VSX-1021 right around $400 and if you call places like Electronics Expo you may be able to get the Denon 1912 in the range or the 2112 for about $50 more. Both feature Airplay.

All three of these receivers have a USB input for iPod.

http://www.buy.com/prod/pioneer-vsx-...220428225.html

This Marantz may also interest you. Doesnt to Airplay but is a very solid receiver.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Quote:
they're mainly going to be in a 12x12 room for movies/music (hooked up to a tv/boxee box for video and a laptop/ipod for music) and occasionally a 25x15 living room during smaller house parties for music.

If your main use is movies I'd want a subwoofer. It really adds to the experience in action/adventure movies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ended up springing for the Denon AVR-2112CI after a bunch of research. was ~450 on EE after shipping. also got a polk CS2 for the center channel so i'll be running a 3.0 setup for now. i'll think about a sub after i set everything up. pretty hyped. thanks for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts