AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My current receiver is starting to give me trouble, so I think it's time for something new. I need your help. I currently have a pioneer vsx-1120. Movies/shows is pretty much all I use my setup for; very little music.

Anyhow, I've done some research on here and it looks like I can't go wrong with one of the higher end yamaha units. My setup is 7.1 Polk Monitor 70 towers, CS2 center, Monitor 30's all the way around and a PL-200 sub.

Would I notice any difference in sound from 30 more watts with the 2060 vs 1060? What's the difference between 2060 and 2070? What do you suggest? I'm only powering one room, and 4k content is a priority.

Thanks,

Casey

·
Registered
317 Posts
Tiforce. Patience, the site is not real time response, LOL. Hey, yeah are you thinking about about ATMOS in your future? If so, I would recommend the Yamaha 3070. This would cover your current 7.1 set up and give you options to try out Dolby Atmos down the road. Also the latest models will be the ones that end in 70's(1070,2070,3070). The previous model is the 60's and honestly you can even go back to the 50's and probably be fine.

The 70's model adds Dolby Vison I believe which is good to know if that is important to you.

As a rule of thumb 35 watts probably would not make too much of a difference at all, but it is the holiday season. :)

ATMOS Summary
1070. Capable of 5.1.2
2070 Capable of 5.1.4 (I owned the 2050 version)
3070 Cable of 7.1.4 (with an additional 2 channel amp) Currently own this one (3050 verison)

I stand corrected..did a little research. Firm ware update solves the Dolby Vison thing on the Models

see below

Owners of Yamaha AVRs including the RX-V83 family, plus RX-V681, RX-A860, RX-A1060, RX-A2060, RX-A3060 and CX-A5100 models are getting a firmware update that adds exciting new capabilities. These include compatibility with Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) and Dolby Vision flavors of HDR, as well as the addition of two music streaming services: Tidal and Deezer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey James! I figure once this thread moves to the second page of this sub forum it's much less likely to get a reply. I posted last night but the post either got deleted or who knows. Anyhow thanks for your reply. I'll check into Atmos as you suggest. So it sounds like the power level to speakers will pretty much be the same with 1070, 2070 etc as my current vsx-1120. That's nice to know because if the other offered features are not really worth it to me, and the power difference is a moot point I can save a lot of cash lol...

Thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hey James! I figure once this thread moves to the second page of this sub forum it's much less likely to get a reply. I posted last night but the post either got deleted or who knows. Anyhow thanks for your reply. I'll check into Atmos as you suggest. So it sounds like the power level to speakers will pretty much be the same with 1070, 2070 etc as my current vsx-1120. That's nice to know because if the other offered features are not really worth it to me, and the power difference is a moot point I can save a lot of cash lol...

Thanks

Yeah I get the cash thing. Just bought a used rx-3050 for the same reason. Look, you really need to give ATMOS a try if you have not heard it. The sound difference for movies is nothing short incredible. Best Buy Magnolia has it set up at most of their locations and you can get a demo of it. I went in not expecting it to be that big a deal and was blown away. I am set up now for 7.2.4 and love it. Just think 7.1 with four speaker over your head. Hey, turns out the 60's models DO support Dolby Vison via firmware update. Checked it out and updated my thread for you.

Give at least the 2070 a good look because it supports 5.1.4 with no additional amps. I ran this for a long time and giving up 2 speakers on the sides to gain four above you an true ATMOS is a win. OR your can go with a 7.1.2 set up and keep the side speakers. Nice to have some upgradeability to play with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts