AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know a couple of things. First off, I have a 65" RPTV that I use for movie watching and HD viewing only. I wish to upgrade to a DLP Projector.

My theater room is always pitch dark, as I have the windows blocked off and drapes closed. Light is not an issue.

I only watch:

DVD movies

DirecTV and OTA HD broadcasts (also 16:9)

NEVER any standard broadcasts, etc or VHS or anything

I do spin my LD player at times for Star Wars but that is it now.

I sit about 12 feet back from where my screen would be. I would prefer to go with a screen that is at least 96" diag (16:9). Will this be to close? I think I would need a more powerful projector than the X1....

My questions is, which DLP projector would work best for me? I have seen the Yamaha DPX1000 but that is over $10,000 and I cannot afford that.

I need to keep costs around $3,000 and then maybe another $500 or so for a screen. Is this reasonable?

I assume I need a PJ that has a 16:9 lens, since that is all it will be displaying.

Is there a projector that is worth $2k more than the X1? The X1 does not have the 16:9 lens, correct?

Please post your comments, etc.

Thank you!

·
Registered
754 Posts
The HS10 isn't DLP.

The HT1000 is out of your stated price range.

I think the Infocus SP5700 would be an excellent choice to have a look at.

It's still a bit out of your price range, but that'll happen, won't it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have you thought about an X1 and an anamorphic lens? That would allow you to use the full resolution of the X1 while displaying 16x9, and it would save you quite a bit too. I think you can get an anamorphic lens for 500 or so.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I know the HS10 is not DLP but it was one I was considering.

As for the X1 with anamorphic lens, will it be able to push a good enough picture at 96" or 120"??? I though once your screen was over 100" the X1 really lost quality.

I will look into the 5700....please keep your replies coming!

-Jeff

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gruson
Sorry, I know the HS10 is not DLP but it was one I was considering.

As for the X1 with anamorphic lens, will it be able to push a good enough picture at 96" or 120"??? I though once your screen was over 100" the X1 really lost quality.

I will look into the 5700....please keep your replies coming!

-Jeff
I'm not sure about the quality deterioration, but I'd think that it would be lessened if you use the anamorphic lens because you'll still be using the full resolution of the projector. Going with a 100"+ screen without the anamorphic lens might be a problem because you'd be sacrificing resolution to get the 16:9 aspect ratio - you'd only be using 360,000 pixels and blowing it up that big might cause deterioration in the details. But with the AL you'd still have the full 480,000 pixels so you wouldn't be sacrificing detail or lumens. I'm sure some people here must be using anamorphic lenses and can chime in. I've never seen a projector with an anamorphic lens, I don't even have an X1 myself. But the Z1 (what I have) isn't a DLP so I thought the X1 and AL might be a viable alternative that's still pretty cheap.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I think you are misled Dogo to how the x1 works.In 16:9 mode it displays full resolution much in the way some high end tube tv's that are 4:3 have a 16:9 mode.From what I understand anyway.Look at technuts official x1 fact.Im using a 92 inch diag 16:9 screen and notice only a gradual degradation when I zoom into a smaller screen size.Like 80 inches to 92 I cant tell much difference.The screendoor is much more noticebale in 4:3 mode trust me.Remmeber a lot of expensive pj's only put out 1000 lumens so it is feasable to get a big image with the x1.If you want ,Use the $500 towards a better pj and save some more money building your own screen.IF I had $3000 to work with I dont think I would go with the x1.Try to find a deal on something better.The x1 rocks ,I love it I cant say a bad thing about it;but $3000 could open up some possibilities!Demo the x1 of course though.Maybe you don't want to spend $3000.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I wouldn't consider the HS10 unless going used at this point. I would wait for the HS20 or AE500 if going with LCD.

With the light control in your room it doesn't sound like you need a bright projector. The HT1000 might work, but at 12' I would see the pixels. Maybe some used HT1000s will go on the market if people upgrade to the newer projectors soon, although there isn't a direct replacement for the HT1000, yet.

--Darin

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by edgebsl
I think you are misled Dogo to how the x1 works.In 16:9 mode it displays full resolution much in the way some high end tube tv's that are 4:3 have a 16:9 mode.From what I understand anyway.Look at technuts official x1 fact.Im using a 92 inch diag 16:9 screen and notice only a gradual degradation when I zoom into a smaller screen size.Like 80 inches to 92 I cant tell much difference.The screendoor is much more noticebale in 4:3 mode trust me.Remmeber a lot of expensive pj's only put out 1000 lumens so it is feasable to get a big image with the x1.If you want ,Use the $500 towards a better pj and save some more money building your own screen.IF I had $3000 to work with I dont think I would go with the x1.Try to find a deal on something better.The x1 rocks ,I love it I cant say a bad thing about it;but $3000 could open up some possibilities!Demo the x1 of course though.Maybe you don't want to spend $3000.
I went and read the FAQ at technuts, and it reiterated what I was saying. When displaying a 16x9 image the X1 will show 800x450, as opposed to 800x600 in 4x3 mode. I think you were confused by the part about setting the DVD player to 16x9 mode. From the FAQ:

Quote:
Aspect Ratio: 4:3 standard (800 x 600); 16:9 wide (800 x 450)
What I was saying is that by using the anamporphic lens you'd still be using 800x600 in 16x9 mode.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You should take a look at the sharp 90U. It has a 5x color wheel so you will not see any rainbows. They were a deal breaker for me with the X1. But also wait a bit. In december, Sharp is releasing a new set of projectors, notably the 200 which will use a 16X9, 1024 X 576 chip. This projector will blow away the X1 and has an msrp of $4499. While that is over your budget, I imagine most dealers will be selling below msrp. Also, when the new crop of projectors comes out, the Sharp XV-z9000U will drop in price. It is also a 16X9 1024X576 projector but it does not have DVI like the 200 does. It currently sells for about $5500 and I imagine it will drop significantly in price.

Russ

·
Registered
293 Posts
The Sharp Z9000 is 1280x720, not 1024x576. You can buy it today for around $4k if you take shipment from Japan or buy refurbished.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Actually, the Z9000U is 1280 x720, but it only has rated CR of 1100:1. For that resolution and better CR, you would be much better to look at the new crop of LCD PJs, which are expected to street between $2K and $3K and have higher rated CRs.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Sorry, I meant to specify the 9000 as 1280X720. At any rate, when the price falls in December it will be a very good deal. Gruson stated that he wanted a dlp projector, not lcd. I believe that the 9000U at $3500 or less is a fantastic deal. The extra resolution and 5X color wheel make it worth the extra money over the X1. Also, the blacks were outstanding on the model that I viewed, much better than the vaunted L-300U. I must admit that I haven't seen the newest crop of LCD projectors, but I imagine that they will still be inferior in terms of black level, which is more important than slightly higher *stated* CR.

Russ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.