AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm planning on building a stereo system and I need help on deciding which AV receiver to get. I'm mostly going to be using it for listening to music, but I'll probably use it for movies as well. My price range is about 300 - 350.

If it helps, here is what I will be getting for speakers and a subwoofer:

Speakers: Infinity Primus P162

Subwoofer: HSU STF-2

I'm open to any of your opinions or suggestions as I absolutely know nothing about receivers (this is my first stereo system ever), so please feel free to tell me all you know, thx.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Out of stock at one site, but look for deals on the Yamaha RX-V765. It won't pass 3D video (or if it does, there may be issue/limitations.) So if that's on your timeline, look for a newer model.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just bought an Onkyo TX-SR608 yesterday. Price was right at the top of your range from 6thAve. I have bought from them several times over the years and they have always been reputable to deal with. Pioneers VSX-1020-K also looks to be a great choice for the same price. Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmabry /forum/post/19567425

I just bought an Onkyo TX-SR608 yesterday. Price was right at the top of your range from 6thAve. I have bought from them several times over the years and they have always been reputable to deal with. Pioneers VSX-1020-K also looks to be a great choice for the same price. Good luck.

thx mrmabry. by the way have you had any problems with that jittering issue with blu rays. i just read about that and was curious. oh, and how is listening to music with this receiver, good?

thx again.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Look at the Yamha 667, seems like a big upgrade. I've avoid the 665 and 765 Yamaha's they had very lower power consumption (Yamaha cheaped out on the power supplies it seems). Also, the 1020 appears to have been significantly cheapened compared to the 1019. If you don't need 3D consider the 1019 from Amazon at just under $300 shipped.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Yamaha 1065.... While Yamaha did cut the total power on their lower tier X065 series, the 1065/2065 did not suffer these cutbacks. Discrete amp sections, good connectivity and real bargains at this time. Check out Newegg on Saturdays for these. Or google for the best price.

·
Registered
444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/19574185

Yamaha 1065.... While Yamaha did cut the total power on their lower tier X065 series, the 1065/2065 did not suffer these cutbacks. Discrete amp sections, good connectivity and real bargains at this time. Check out Newegg on Saturdays for these. Or google for the best price.

Correct. The 665/765 had meager 245W or something ratings. The 1065 is 400W or so. Best bang for the buck if you can get it in your price range. The biggest complaint is that it doesn't upconvert HDMI (just passes them through, but your TV will probably do a better job upconverting anyway). The other complaint was that the build quality was enough for a $999 receiver. At well under $400 i'm sure it's more than fine

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey, thanks everyone for your suggestions, i appreciate it. i'll have a look at these online and see what i can come up with. so far they sound good. thx again.

by the way what do you guys think of the denon avr-1611 that crazyrob suggested? how does it compare to the others?

and im assuming, crazyrob, that you have this receiver. what has been your experience with it? thx.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts