AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a special need here for a 32-37 inch LCD HDTV that may well find itself used in bright ambient, even outdoor, conditions. (Think "used while tailgating".)

Obviously brightness is a primary consideration. Quality and ruggedness are also important. Price and ultimate picture quality are less so, but still definitely matter.

Anybody have a recommendation?

Keith

·
Registered
549 Posts
toshiba 525u, they can be had for $800 all day at circutcity and are 40inches. the xbr6 would be good but are more money because of the fact it has 120hrz, the toshiba is only 60hrz, but the viewing angels are the same 178, the toshiba also has a 10 bit processor which adds more colors, the xbr6 is also 10 bit but the point is there exactly the same minus 120hrz, on the toshiba. the price difference is ridiculous and the xbr6 is nice but I would go with the toshiba, bigger screen, cheaper, and more bang for your buck. I have seen both sets also and I can say the toshiba is bright, inexpensive, and comes in 40inches, and buy most peoples opinions a very good size and an even better price given the size.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp /forum/post/15429707

toshiba 525u, they can be had for $800 all day at circutcity and are 40inches. the xbr6 would be good but are more money because of the fact it has 120hrz, the toshiba is only 60hrz, but the viewing angels are the same 178, the toshiba also has a 10 bit processor which adds more colors, the xbr6 is also 10 bit but the point is there exactly the same minus 120hrz, on the toshiba. the price difference is ridiculous and the xbr6 is nice but I would go with the toshiba, bigger screen, cheaper, and more bang for your buck. I have seen both sets also and I can say the toshiba is bright, inexpensive, and comes in 40inches, and buy most peoples opinions a very good size and an even better price given the size.

Sorry to disagree with your facts, but the 32" and 37" XBR6 models are only 60Hz, not 120Hz. You can verify this by checking the Sony website. The 40" and larger models of the XBR6 are 120Hz. Still, I think the 32XBR6 is still the best TV in that size range even if it is a bit more expensive than the others.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/15429794

I think the 32XBR6 is still the best TV in that size range even if it is a bit more expensive than the others.

I think that is an understatement. The prices that I'm seeing on the 32XBR6 are about 44% higher than the the price of the 32LZ800. Anyway, I assume that the OP wants a matte screen. And surely the OP would be content with cheaper 720p TVs..? I don't think there is really any way to know which TVs are the most rugged. It seems like you would just want an LCD with a matte screen and relatively high luminance.

FWIW, keith, 37" LCDs are typically far more expensive than 32" LCDs right now, so 32" may be the better choice. 1080p is also much more expensive than 720p,

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys, thanks for the input, but let me clarify:

1) It can't be a 40 inch. I'm not even sure it can be a 37. Space limitations. Assume it needs to be a 32 inch.

2) brightness is the main requirement. PQ is secondary.

Now, any more possibilities come to mind for this usage?

Thanks again

Keith

·
Registered
549 Posts
32inch toshiba 530u. its bright, 1080p and cost $532 at gotbetterdeals.com toshiba cant be beat right now on quality for the buck. this tv has great colors 1080p soild blacks you be out your mind to buy a vizo or any other 32inch for that matter because this is by far the best out of the bunch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp /forum/post/15436668

32inch toshiba 530u. its bright, 1080p and cost $532 at gotbetterdeals.com toshiba cant be beat right now on quality for the buck. this tv has great colors 1080p soild blacks you be out your mind to buy a vizo or any other 32inch for that matter because this is by far the best out of the bunch.

Thanks for that Toshiba pointer, I'll check it out.

BTW that gotbetterdeals price is for a REFURB. Not a new set. Looks like $650 is more a normal on-line price range.

Keith

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.