AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need an amp to power two outdoor speakers that are a very long distance from the house (150'+). Each has a left and right channel, so it's the equivalent of two pairs. The speakers/volume control that I am using are rated up to 100w. I don't need uber audiophile quality, but something that will send 50 to 100w of clean power to each. I am only going to use one input (Airtunes feed). An optical input would be nice, but not critical. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcage /forum/post/18288938

I need an amp to power two outdoor speakers that are a very long distance from the house (150'+). Each has a left and right channel, so it's the equivalent of two pairs. The speakers/volume control that I am using are rated up to 100w. I don't need uber audiophile quality, but something that will send 50 to 100w of clean power to each. I am only going to use one input (Airtunes feed). An optical input would be nice, but not critical. Any suggestions?

I think a Receiver with your power requirements will do just fine. If it is outdoors it is problably background music for you and others so you could set the the receiver to mono. Also, with a receiver you could get radio, internet radio, plug a portable device and so on and on... there are more conection options. If it was just for good 2 channel music reproduction I would recomend a good integrated amp but from what I ghather from your post I think a Receiver will suit your needs better.

All the best,

Michael

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Just about any amplification with distortion below 0.8% should be acceptable (0.2% would likely be inaudible because speakers have higher distortion).

You might want to use higher quality cables (not monster, etc., just the better stuff from companies like monoprice etc.). Lower quality cables can allow some attenuation of higher frequency content. Outside may not make much difference.

My son and a friend (who works at a audio/visual company) ran cable in ~75 foot lengths to our outdoor speakers. Music sounded fine. My receiver was at most 75 watts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts