AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend ready to buy a 46-50" RP HDTV and he wants to buy one NOW. I would like to hear any recommendations out there. I would appreciate.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
First off all, does he want a widesceen 16:9 set or a regular old school 4:3 set?

Next, what price range does he want to stay in?

Without any information, I think the two best tv's in this size range are the Toshiba 50HX81, which is a 50 inch widescreen that retails for around $2599.99 but can be bought for about $2299 if you look hard enought. The other one is the Sony KP51HW40, which is a 51 inch widescreen that retails for around $2499 but can be bought for about $2199 if you look hard enough.

By the way, I would avoid the Toshiba 50H81, which is the cheaper version of the Toshiba 50HX81. It is extremely UGLY!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anthony1

We are interested in the 16:9 units.

What a coincidence, my friend and I went around and we saw the Toshiba 50" and the Sony 51" units. CNET.COM recommends the Toshiba 50HX81 but all we saw was the 50H81 versions around town. What is the difference between the two.

We could get the Sony for less than $2100 here at Ultimate Electronics in Albuquerque. And the Toshiba for a little over $2100 at Sears.

I appreciate the response.

Any Sony 51" or Toshiba 50" owners out there???

·
Registered
180 Posts
i'm gonna have to cast a vote for the 46" mits. It's an amazing set, ESPECIALLY if he has greyscale done on it. it's a beautiful set!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Fred, you could bring him over to see my Elite 53". I got it with no interest for a year from Ultimate. Don't know the price range you are looking for, but making payments allowed me to reach the Elite; otherwise too expensive. Email me. JR

·
Registered
91 Posts
First mistake is buying something like this fast. I was (thought I was) all set to buy than hooked up with this fora...Clearly, delayed my purchase and now I know more. Thanx to all here..

·
Registered
254 Posts
well i just picked up the jvc i'art 48" widescreen hdtv with dvi inputs etc..

it's nice and I got a SWEET deal on it at best buy.. i had a 10% off coupon and its normal price is $2,000. so i got it for $1800 service contract was $300 free delivery free chair and automan or however you spell it lol...

anyways i am VERY impressed with this tv.. especially with a progressive scan dvd player WOW!! I also just had satellite installed and it's nice as well.. not HD but it's still very clear... out of all the sets I looked at the jvc looked the most clear... i'm very happy with it so far! :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gameboya

it's nice and I got a SWEET deal on it at best buy..

I got the same deal too. Now this TV is on sale for 1899.92 at best buy. You might wanna go back to get the price matching (before discount).

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Ottoman.

:)

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
My vote goes to the Sony. Bought mine last January and the only regret is that I didn't buy the 57"! I spent about an hour with the Avia calibration disk to tone down the brightness, contrast, and color and I am a happy camper. This is my first Sony, I have had Panasonic and Toshiba direct view sets and I must say I am sold on this Sony model. I paid $2300 in January but you can get it for less now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.