AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I am new to this forum. We have a Sony 32" CRT HD that we owned for about 5 years. Now we feel that it is time for us to move on. And so we are planning to buy a 52/55/58 inch flat panel, LCD or Plasma. I am not really concerned about getting one or the other type. I really don't know what are the advantages of one over the other. I would like to get your recommendation on what should I go for...

We (my wife and I) both watch movies, play video games (ps3), and at times my wife watches some of the serials on the TV - I do plan to get a media center PC later on or may be a Mac mini.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I was in your situation two years ago. Upgraded my DIRECTV setup to HD and bought a PS3.

I went with the Vizio 52" LCD to get the best value for the price and keep glare down as the TV faces a large window.

I have been very happy with the quality and reliability of the unit. They now have a nice 120Hz 55" for a great price.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crenjith /forum/post/16910981

Hi folks,

I am new to this forum. We have a Sony 32" CRT HD that we owned for about 5 years. Now we feel that it is time for us to move on. And so we are planning to buy a 52/55/58 inch flat panel, LCD or Plasma. I am not really concerned about getting one or the other type. I really don't know what are the advantages of one over the other. I would like to get your recommendation on what should I go for...

We (my wife and I) both watch movies, play video games (ps3), and at times my wife watches some of the serials on the TV - I do plan to get a media center PC later on or may be a Mac mini.

Thanks

Check out the Samsung 52" B750 LCD. Great for movies, has game mode for, you guessed it....gaming, and the TV is considered, by pro reviewers, to be the best CCFL, and with the exception of the rediculously priced Sony XBR8 and Samsung 950 LD LED series, the best LCD currently on the market.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Stick with the big 3 1/2 --- Panasonic, Samsung, Sony and Pioneer. Pioneer is the 1/2 because they make a fantastic product, but it will soon be gone. Parts and service will remain.

All the other manufactures are second and third tier players. Sharp and Vizio make great cheap sets, but are not in the same picture quality range as the others. Run from RCA, Westinghouse and such as they are junk sets with a well know name slapped on them. Same goes for in-store brands like Insignia.

You will get arguments back and forth on Plasma and LCD. Both are OK, both have merits, I own both, but Plasma wins my heart and eyes, just a beautiful stunning image. If friends and family ask me I recommend plasma at the moment because for the price the quality can't be beat. LCDs biggest drawback is viewing angle, walk around one that you like and see if it bothers you. People will spout off about plasma's issues, all are non-existent today. Burn in in is a thing of the past, but people love to harp on it. In the larger sizes you are looking for LCD will cost up to 50% more for the same size.

Best value out there today? Panasonic plasmas, along with Samsung.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L /forum/post/16911932

Stick with the big 3 1/2 --- Panasonic, Samsung, Sony and Pioneer. Pioneer is the 1/2 because they make a fantastic product, but it will soon be gone. Parts and service will remain.

All the other manufactures are second and third tier players. Sharp and Vizio make great cheap sets, but are not in the same picture quality range as the others. Run from RCA, Westinghouse and such as they are junk sets with a well know name slapped on them. Same goes for in-store brands like Insignia.

You will get arguments back and forth on Plasma and LCD. Both are OK, both have merits, I own both, but Plasma wins my heart and eyes, just a beautiful stunning image. If friends and family ask me I recommend plasma at the moment because for the price the quality can't be beat. LCDs biggest drawback is viewing angle, walk around one that you like and see if it bothers you. People will spout off about plasma's issues, all are non-existent today. Burn in in is a thing of the past, but people love to harp on it. In the larger sizes you are looking for LCD will cost up to 50% more for the same size.

Best value out there today? Panasonic plasmas, along with Samsung.

plasmas are great but the still have burn in problems!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I will vote for LCD. For 50" the price difference between LCD/Plasma is negligible. While comparing i found some surprising results, a latest 52-inch Samsung LN52A650 LCD HDTV and smaller plasma equivalent -bearing the same Samsung brand name, the 50-inch Samsung PN50A650 plasma HDTV. This plasma is just $350 cheaper than its LCD counterpart. Price difference is insignificant in comparison to the $1000 or more we paid few years ago.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Plasma or LCD is a matter of your choice. For your size (don't know your budget) you can get several excellent sets currently out there.

LCD

Sharp XS1

Sony XBR8

Toshiba 670

Plasma

Pioneer

Pansonic

Do some research with your own eyes and don't just limit yourself to places like Best Buy and the big commercial stores, find a local place that may have some very knowledgeable people who can help you with your decision.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
55" LCD LED TV's by LG & TOSHIBA are really nice. The LG has been getting some real nice reviews. CNET has their review up for the LG 47LH90

The TOSHIBA's are rolling very slow. I had the chance to see-1 & loved-it. I'm just waiting for my dealer to get his shipment & I'm all-over it.

Also as mentioned the Samsung 52" 750.

As for PLASMA, If you can get yourself a Pioneer go for-it. It's the BEST TV on the market. If you like shoot me PM(Private Message) & I'll put you in contact with my dealer as he has some nice sales on the Pioneer KRP 500M.

If I don't hear from you good luck on your purchase

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
On an absolute basis, the Pioneer Elite 141 or 151 still has the best picture. The fact that Pioneer is leaving the television market has nothing to do with the quality of their product. If you want something a little cheaper I'd take a good look at the Panasonic 54V10. It uses less energy and has settings to deal with burn in.

The main issues with LCD are loss of resolution during motion, motion lag, viewing angles and black levels. Unless you are going to watch the set straight on, or nearly so, even the best LCD's picture quality falls off rapidly as you move off center. Determine your likely viewing angles and then demo some LCD's to determine if viewing angle is material in your case. Another item to consider is ambient light. LCD's can really crank out the light output and can overcome ambient light very well. In general, in a bright room the LCD looks better than a plasma and vice versa in a dark room. I feel this is a large part of the reason why LCD has a much bigger market share. You won't notice the generally superior black levels of plasma in a room full of ambient light because the ambient light will mask the black level and superior contrast ratio of the plasma. But if you can control the room lighting the Pioneer or Panny will present night scenes that are black and not a foggy grey.

The new LED illuminated LCD's are addressing the black level issue. Still, the only LED set that most reviewers put in the same class as the Pioneer Elite is the Sony XBR8. The 55" is very expensive. But, I just bought the 46" from OneCall for a very good price. I understand that an XBR10 may be on the horizon, if so I'll bet the 55" will be dropping in price quite a bit. If the Sony is not possible, I'd look at the new LG and Toshiba LED sets.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by virp123 /forum/post/16918820

I will vote for LCD. For 50" the price difference between LCD/Plasma is negligible. While comparing i found some surprising results, a latest 52-inch Samsung LN52A650 LCD HDTV and smaller plasma equivalent -bearing the same Samsung brand name, the 50-inch Samsung PN50A650 plasma HDTV. This plasma is just $350 cheaper than its LCD counterpart. Price difference is insignificant in comparison to the $1000 or more we paid few years ago.

Why pay more for less?

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L /forum/post/16918337

Thank you for proving my point! Someone will always chime in with that crap.

PLASMAS MADE IN 2009 DO NOT SUFFER FROM BURN IN!

Burn that into your brain.

That's completely untrue. It may be minimal compared to a few years back, but if you have even a basic understanding of phosphor based displays such as plasma, you will know that burn in is always possible.

Modern plasmas have a lot of features to reduce burn in, most notably they've increased phosphor resilience significantly so that lasts longer and can burn brighter without dulling. Also most sets rapidly shift the image slightly to make sure the pixels are constantly changing a small amount.

However, leaving a static image on the screen for very long periods of time, for instance using it as a computer display and not keeping a screensaver on, can still cause permanent image retention.

It's much less of an issue than it was 3 years ago, but it still exists. If burn in was no longer possible, manufacturers would be the first to jump on the bandwagon and would have it slapped on every box.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
OK, burn in is very,very, very, very difficult to get today. You have to be an idiot to get burn in today. Does that make you happy?

By the way, in the same vein did you know that persistence of image is a similar problem with LCDs?

Quote:
Cause

Liquid crystals have a natural relaxed state. When a voltage is applied they rearrange themselves to block certain light waves. If left with the same voltage for an extended period of time (e.g. displaying a mouse cursor or the Microsoft Windows Taskbar in one place), the liquid crystals can develop a tendency to stay in one position. This ever so slight tendency to stay arranged in one position can throw the requested color off by a slight degree, which causes the image to look like the traditional "burn-in" on phosphor based displays. In fact, the root cause of LCD image persistence is the same as phosphor burn-in, namely, non-uniform usage of the display's pixels.

The cause of this tendency is unclear. It might be due to accumulation of ionic impurities inside the LCD,[1] electric charge building up near the electrodes,[2] parasitic capacitance,[3] or "a DC voltage component that occurs unavoidably in some display pixels owing to anisotropy in the dielectric constant of the liquid crystal".[4]

Usually the image persistence is temporary, but can become permanent. As a result, all major LCD display manufacturers exclude image persistence from their warranties.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
This thread really belongs in the Flat Panel General forum.

But hey, as long as it's here, I'll get my own jab in:

The plasma display forum has a sticky on burn-in and image retention. There are posts at the end of that sticky claiming burn-in on models released this year.

Here in the LCD forum? No burn-in sticky.

Just sayin

·
Registered
549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady /forum/post/16919388

On an absolute basis, the Pioneer Elite 141 or 151 still has the best picture. The fact that Pioneer is leaving the television market has nothing to do with the quality of their product. If you want something a little cheaper I'd take a good look at the Panasonic 54V10. It uses less energy and has settings to deal with burn in.

The main issues with LCD are loss of resolution during motion, motion lag, viewing angles and black levels. Unless you are going to watch the set straight on, or nearly so, even the best LCD's picture quality falls off rapidly as you move off center. Determine your likely viewing angles and then demo some LCD's to determine if viewing angle is material in your case. Another item to consider is ambient light. LCD's can really crank out the light output and can overcome ambient light very well. In general, in a bright room the LCD looks better than a plasma and vice versa in a dark room. I feel this is a large part of the reason why LCD has a much bigger market share. You won't notice the generally superior black levels of plasma in a room full of ambient light because the ambient light will mask the black level and superior contrast ratio of the plasma. But if you can control the room lighting the Pioneer or Panny will present night scenes that are black and not a foggy grey.

The new LED illuminated LCD's are addressing the black level issue. Still, the only LED set that most reviewers put in the same class as the Pioneer Elite is the Sony XBR8. The 55" is very expensive. But, I just bought the 46" from OneCall for a very good price. I understand that an XBR10 may be on the horizon, if so I'll bet the 55" will be dropping in price quite a bit. If the Sony is not possible, I'd look at the new LG and Toshiba LED sets.

I bet, you any amount if you seen a side-side comparison you pic the mitsubishi laservue. do a google on elite vs laservue.... laservue is better but it does suffer in viewing angles.

·
Registered
659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanSaysYo /forum/post/16921378

This thread really belongs in the Flat Panel General forum.

But hey, as long as it's here, I'll get my own jab in:

The plasma display forum has a sticky on burn-in and image retention. There are posts at the end of that sticky claiming burn-in on models released this year.

Here in the LCD forum? No burn-in sticky.

Just sayin

I agree that burn in *can* still be a problem on todays sets but you have to not really look after your lovely 1080p television for it to happen. I for one would never laeve the HTPC on for hours without a screen saver or hit the pause button and spend an hour doing something else ....its just idiotic. If you look after your TV then you will not have a problem with burn in. LCD suffers a quite different problem though that nobody has jet to mention like dead pixals & lets not forget uneven backlighting tht causes clouding. Truth is neither are perfect, both have strenghts in different areas & weakness in others.

Plasma Pros:

Great blacks

More natural colour reproduction

Better motion handling & lower input lag (important for gaming)

Plasma Cons:

Reflective screens (I don't want to see myself when I'm watching a movie)

Higher Power Consumption.

Burn in (but not a problem if carefull)

Heavy (....this is a valid point, my friend mounted his the wall but wasn't carefull about the wall struts & it came down sure enough strait through the coffee table and chipped his new marble floors
)

LCD Pros:

Very bright (ideal for lots of daytime/ambient viewing)

Low power consumption

Larger range to choose from

generally cheeper than simular spec plasma

LCD Cons:

Dead pixals

Grayish blacks

Lighting sysstem doesn't produce fantastic colour (when compared to plasma)

For LCD I would go for either:

Sony

Sharp

Samsung

For Plasma I would go for:

Pioneer (over any TV if you can get one)

Panasonic

Hope my insight into 1080p televisions was usefull to the OP.

Cheers,

Jiff

1 - 20 of 28 Posts