AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Rotel RSX-965 is dead. Rotel tells me it's going to cost $225 to fix. I'm leaning toward buying something new since the technology has changed so much.

I have a Panasonic ae900u projector with HDMI and Component connections. I have a OTA HD HDVR with HDMI, Momitsu DVD Player (DVI), XBox 360 (component), LD player (S-Video), DirecTV Tivo (S-Video).

I like the idea of auto eq ala Audyssey and MCACC but it's not a requirement.

HDMI switching would be nice as well.

I've been looking at the Onkyo 804 & 674, Pioneer VSX-80TXV & VSX-1016TXV, and the Emotiva UL.

I like the idea of separates but the Emotiva seems too buggy. I really don't want to constantly be going into the menu system to select the appropriate decoding (which seems to be the biggest problem). I want something stable.

Any opinions on these units or have I missed any?

Also, I don't like Denon. I had a couple of Denon products many years ago and they both died prematurely.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you like the idea of separates, then you should choose a receiver that has 8-channel preouts, so that you can add external amplification if desired. Of your current choices, the Onkyo 674 doesn't have preouts. The Yamaha RX-V1600 is another HDMI-equipped receiver that should be

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
I am in the same boat, and would love to buy something decent but with HDMI 1.3 around the corner, do not want to spend $$$. I am thinking pioneer vsx 1016, soon to be replaced by 1017, Elite 81TX or Marantz 1007? please advoise? or Denon 3806?

·
Registered
118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro /forum/post/0

I am in the same boat, and would love to buy something decent but with HDMI 1.3 around the corner, do not want to spend $$$. I am thinking pioneer vsx 1016, soon to be replaced by 1017, Elite 81TX or Marantz 1007? please advoise? or Denon 3806?

What do you mean by "decent"? What features are you looking for in a receiver? It's difficult to make a recommendation with your list of receivers, as they're at significantly different price points. The 81TX is about twice the price of the 1016, and the 3806 is about three times the price of the 1016. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, then the 3806 is probably out of the question (it retails for $1300, less if you go with an unauthorized dealer).

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Rotel does have a nice sound but it's missing so many features that it might be time to upgrade rather than invest in it.

I remember Onkyo being kind low quality has that changed over the years or was that never the case?

Also, what about Outlaw? Anyone have opinions on their 1070? What about the 970 preamp?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Tim, if you can get by for a little while, I would wait until HDMI 1.3 comes out.

Outlaw makes great quality products ecspecially for the $$$. Hang tight until we see some of the new offerings that include HDMI 1.3

·
Registered
118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Smith /forum/post/0

Also, what about Outlaw? Anyone have opinions on their 1070? What about the 970 preamp?

I've heard good things about Outlaw. However, their current pre/pros (970 and 990) and receiver (1070) do NOT have HDMI. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
10,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisdxl32 /forum/post/0

What do you mean by "decent"? What features are you looking for in a receiver? It's difficult to make a recommendation with your list of receivers, as they're at significantly different price points. The 81TX is about twice the price of the 1016, and the 3806 is about three times the price of the 1016. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, then the 3806 is probably out of the question (it retails for $1300, less if you go with an unauthorized dealer).

I saw costoco selling 3806 for $999?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.