AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently built a new home and do not have much experience in sizing Subs for this size of a space, all I know is my old single Velodyne DPS-12 can't handle the new larger space. I did search the forums and got some ideas but nothing was really recent or quite as unique as my space.

1. Your budget. 2-3K

2. Size requirements/limits. Don't really care, was thinking maybe dual 15's or possibly 12's if they can handle the space.

3. Room dimensions. I have large living room with an 18' ceiling and it is open to my foyer (18' ceiling), dining room & office (both 9' ceilings) and partially to my kitchen (9' ceiling). The main space is over 8000 cubic feet, if you factor in the other open spaces its over 14,000 cubic feet.

4. Primary uses. 70% music & 30% movies.

5. Listening habits. Looking for the loud concert/movie theater experience (want to be able to feel the bass/rattle the picture frames.

6. Appearance requirements. Prefer black cabinet, but don't really care.

7. Timeframe. none.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, I just finished looking into them all and am now leaning toward going with dual PSA s3000i subs or maybe dual PSA XS30SE if the shipping and tax on the s3000i's blows my budget to much.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
You have a mammoth sized space. You may need 4 subs, maybe 6!:eek: Dual Reaction Audio Echo 18's at the very least. 4 of them most likely.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions, I just finished looking into them all and am now leaning toward going with dual PSA s3000i subs or maybe dual PSA XS30SE if the shipping and tax on the s3000i's blows my budget to much.
PSA offers free shipping and, unless you are in OH, there's no sales tax to pay.

I recently chose dual S3000i's for my 7500 cubic foot (open to another 2500cf) room. I can definitely vouch that they are amazing!

Reactions: dsrussell

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes i'm sure my 3K budget prolly can't handle what I really want to get out of such a large space, but I got to start somewhere and that's all I got ATM, I'm sure my wife would kill me if I even thought about spending any more than that. Not sure about the Echo 18's vs PSA S3000i 15's, looking at the spec's I'm still leaning toward the PSA other than moving more air not to sure about how hard the 18 can hit especially with less power behind it.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Agree that you need a huge amount of cone to drive such a space the way you describe.

Your choice inspired me to check for more threads. Maybe you also saw this thread?

For a similar room with PSA subs: check out this thread:

pictures
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...0i-my-big-room-challenge-19.html#post33729073

frequency response two subs
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...0i-my-big-room-challenge-18.html#post33647777

summary comparison ported vs sealed one sub
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...0i-my-big-room-challenge-14.html#post33434794

max output two subs
(tbd shortly- subscribe to the thread for more details)

It seems that you have a custom test case available to spare you any unpleasant surprises. Congrats.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Agree that you need a huge amount of cone to drive such a space the way you describe.

Your choice inspired me to check for more threads. Maybe you also saw this thread?

For a similar room with PSA subs: check out this thread:
If you have any questions that I haven't answered already in that thread, drop me a line! Max output for 2 S3000i will come next week. I'm still trying to eliminate a nasty null while spending the weekend spending time with my kids. :D

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Yes i'm sure my 3K budget prolly can't handle what I really want to get out of such a large space, but I got to start somewhere and that's all I got ATM, I'm sure my wife would kill me if I even thought about spending any more than that. Not sure about the Echo 18's vs PSA S3000i 15's, looking at the spec's I'm still leaning toward the PSA other than moving more air not to sure about how hard the 18 can hit especially with less power behind it.
Don't judge by amp power alone. The Echo 18 will be a true monster. Do note that the Echo 18 is a ported design, while the S3000i is sealed. The S3000i amp is also powering two drivers instead of one. Either would be good choices, but I would tend to lean towards dual ported over sealed for such a cavernous space as yours.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Don't judge by amp power alone. The Echo 18 will be a true monster. Do note that the Echo 18 is a ported design, while the S3000i is sealed. The S3000i amp is also powering two drivers instead of one. Either would be good choices, but I would tend to lean towards dual ported over sealed for such a cavernous space as yours.
Despite those numbers looking very different (925w vs. 1700w) the difference isn't as pronounced as you may think. Remember: to double output volume, you need to multiple wattage by 10x. To do double the potential output of the 925w amp in the RA subwoofer, you need 9250w.

As to powering 2 drivers: that (perhaps surprisingly) doesn't matter. An amplifier has no idea how many drivers its connected to. It the simplest terms, it "sees a load" (in ohms) and pushes power into that load. The power from the amplifier does not get "divided" across the two drivers as you might expect--both drivers get exactly the same amount of current.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Despite those numbers looking very different (925w vs. 1700w) the difference isn't as pronounced as you may think. Remember: to double output volume, you need to multiple wattage by 10x. To do double the potential output of the 925w amp in the RA subwoofer, you need 9250w.

As to powering 2 drivers: that (perhaps surprisingly) doesn't matter. An amplifier has no idea how many drivers its connected to. It the simplest terms, it "sees a load" (in ohms) and pushes power into that load. The power from the amplifier does not get "divided" across the two drivers as you might expect--both drivers get exactly the same amount of current.
I thought I read the S3000i was basically using the same ICE amp as the RA dual opposed Gamma 218. That amp consists of two modules and each driver is powered by one module, which is half the total power.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I thought I read the S3000i was basically using the same ICE amp as the RA dual opposed Gamma 218. That amp consists of two modules and each driver is powered by one module, which is half the total power.
Having just rebuilt my S3000i(s), I can confirm that there are two separate modules and that each one has leads for wiring a driver. In general, a single amplifier will drive N-number of drivers with identical current without dividing the current passed to each. As to whether or not the two SP modules are essentially considered distinct amplifiers, I don't know.

If so, it's somewhat misleading marketing by these guys (though probably to an audience that is typically none-the-wiser). If I'm told I have a 1700 watt amplifier, I expect that 1700 watts is the current to both drivers.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
That sounds the same as the Gamma 218. I have the XS30 and it has two separate +/- connections for each driver. That halves the rated power of the amp. This is why you see the dual opposed and something like the T-18 have amps rated 2 and 3 times that of comparable single driver subs.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Preliminary CEA 2010 numbers:

Model--------- 16 - 25 Hz ....31.5 - 50 Hz.....63 - 100 Hz
Gamma 218.......117.9.............131.0.............137.0
S3000i...............114.5............126.7.............136.0
Echo 18..............121.8............129.1.............131.9
Echo 15..............117.0............126.9.............127.1

So Echo 18 should have a huge advantage below 50 Hz, and S3000i should have a huge advantage above 63 Hz.

In a non-dedicated room that large, I would go ported so I would choose Echo 18. It is also cheaper. However, the OP really can't go wrong with either. S3000i should be easier to incorporate into décor than a 30" tall subwoofer
Thanks for pulling up that comparison chart, chucky7. I was trying to find that earlier. The Echo 18 should be quite impressive.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
That sounds the same as the Gamma 218. I have the XS30 and it has two separate +/- connections for each driver. That halves the rated power of the amp. This is why you see the dual opposed and something like the T-18 have amps rated 2 and 3 times that of comparable single driver subs.
It's unfortunate; I would have hoped that the drivers were wired in parallel.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Preliminary CEA 2010 numbers:

Model--------- 16 - 25 Hz ....31.5 - 50 Hz.....63 - 100 Hz
Gamma 218.......117.9.............131.0.............137.0
S3000i...............114.5............126.7.............136.0
Echo 18..............121.8............129.1.............131.9
Echo 15..............117.0............126.9.............127.1

So Echo 18 should have a huge advantage below 50 Hz, and S3000i should have a huge advantage above 63 Hz.

In a non-dedicated room that large, I would go ported so I would choose Echo 18. It is also cheaper. However, the OP really can't go wrong with either. S3000i should be easier to incorporate into décor than a 30" tall subwoofer
Hey Chucky, where are you getting numbers for the Reaction subs? I haven't seen any yet.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts