AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically as the title says..I need recommendations for an inexpensive LP/Record player...

Sub $200 would be ideal....but i will listen to suggestions of reasonable price levels.

I have looked at a few pawn shops around and the ones i have found there were broken or very very low quality....but what would you expect for $15 for a probably 30 year old player where the needle would most likely scrape the hell out of my records.

Only thing is that i want it to at least have a Phono out so i can hook it into my receiver.

Thanks

Goofoff

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
IMHO, the last decent sub-$200 turntable is the Technics SL-BD20. Still available at Amazon, last I checked. Easy to use, and takes a p-mount cartridge, which is a snap to upgrade.

Quote:
Only thing is that i want it to at least have a Phono out so i can hook it into my receiver.

Not sure what you mean by this. Does your receiver have a phono input? If so, the Technics will work as is. If not, $50 will buy you a decent phono preamp at www.phonopreamps.com . The preamp (unlike a turntable) can be connected to any audio input on your receiver.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes the receiver has a Phono Input....i misphrased that.

Thank you.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
I'm not a big fan of pro tables* and DJ carts, myself. Then tend to track heavy (i.e.,more record wear) and put a premium on ruggedness over sound.

*Someone will no doubt note that I am a big fan of the SL1200. But it doesn't make those compromises.

·
Registered
344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/16950728

I'm not a big fan of pro tables* and DJ carts, myself. Then tend to track heavy (i.e.,more record wear) and put a premium on ruggedness over sound.

*Someone will no doubt note that I am a big fan of the SL1200. But it doesn't make those compromises.

Look into ortofon carts or banna(I swear they are made by ortofon
) they are qite impressive... Yes the 1200 is quite impressive that is what I'm actually running as well as an old gemni deck which is decient also but isn't even close to a 1200.

·
Registered
344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejedi123 /forum/post/16952338

The SL1200 which I own as well, is an excellent TT, but for under the 200.00 mark you cant go worng with the Technics SL-bd20, a buddy owns one and its a decent deck for the $$!!

Not a fan of that perticular deck my self and I'm a big 1200 fan in that price range I would go Stanton t.60x http://www.guitarcenter.com/Stanton-...40-i1155830.gc

or

Numark tt200 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Numark-T...55-i1155394.gc

Personally I like the Stanton better. Personally don't care for low cost belt drive tables either. Some of the high end ones are great...

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
And I'm not a big fan of cheap direct drives, except for club/DJ use, when only a DD will do. Also, it appears that those two come without cartridge, which would have to be bought separately—and installed.

·
Registered
344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/16955570

And I'm not a big fan of cheap direct drives, except for club/DJ use, when only a DD will do. Also, it appears that those two come without cartridge, which would have to be bought separately—and installed.

Yep no Cart with those... Wouldn't ever buy a turntable that take p-mount though
Think shure is the only decent p-mount cart I have heard and it wasn't great. Lots more flexibility also sense needle change will make the biggest improvement here also.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
Wouldn't ever buy a turntable that take p-mount though

That's probably because you know how to mount carts properly, and have the gear to do so. A p-mount will easily outperform a badly mounted conventional cart, which is one reason I like it for people new to vinyl.

Quote:
Think shure is the only decent p-mount cart I have heard and it wasn't great.

Well, we're not talking about spending hundreds of bucks on a cart for a sub-$200 turntable. Audio-Technica, Grado and Ortofon all make models in the $60-70 range.

Quote:
Lots more flexibility also sense needle change will make the biggest improvement here also.

Granted. The step up from the included cart to one of the ones I mentioned would be a definite improvement.

·
Registered
344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/16956524

That's probably because you know how to mount carts properly, and have the gear to do so. A p-mount will easily outperform a badly mounted conventional cart, which is one reason I like it for people new to vinyl.

Well, we're not talking about spending hundreds of bucks on a cart for a sub-$200 turntable. Audio-Technica, Grado and Ortofon all make models in the $60-70 range.

Granted. The step up from the included cart to one of the ones I mentioned would be a definite improvement.

The tables mentioned above all can take a concord style cart so those are really easily mounted. Also if you buy the table and cart at Guitar center they will help you mount it so this is a small issue.

As for spending a couple hundred on a cart on a $200 table, it will make a bigger difference then spending $50 on a cart on a $1000 table. I like this method for newbies because they can get the table and inexpensive cart... Upgrade to a better cart and then upgrade to a better table and move the good cart to the better table.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I have one of the older Denon DJ decks, a DP-DJ151. I just dug her out of storage and set her up in my HT. I called Acoustic Sounds about swapping the cartridge out, purchasing a pre amp and to get an overall opinion of my turntable.

Well, they told me not to sweat it, the Denon is a great turntable comparable to the infamous Technics SL-1200, and they told me to keep it, no need to "upgrade". As far as an amp, they recommended the Parasound Zphono and a Denon DL-160 cartridge. I set up the cartridge using the instructions and a protractor that they also recommended by D.B. Systems. It was very easy to do, even though I was a bit nervous about it all. All in all, I spent about an hour on the entire install, balancing the tone arm and taking my time with the protractor to make sure I got it right.

Well, my wife was in awe, along with myself, while playing some old Rolling Stones. Man you just cannot beat the sound of vinyl, even if it is on an older DD DJ turntable that I am sure many here will say is junk.

To the op, I hunted around for info on my turntable, and found it still available at a few outfits for around $239. I think I gave around $500 for this unit a few years ago, and am very happy with it. Sure, you have to buy a cartridge, but it is a solid performer, at least to my ears.

Mike

·
Registered
344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet /forum/post/16959697

I have one of the older Denon DJ decks, a DP-DJ151. I just dug her out of storage and set her up in my HT. I called Acoustic Sounds about swapping the cartridge out, purchasing a pre amp and to get an overall opinion of my turntable.

Well, they told me not to sweat it, the Denon is a great turntable comparable to the infamous Technics SL-1200, and they told me to keep it, no need to "upgrade". As far as an amp, they recommended the Parasound Zphono and a Denon DL-160 cartridge. I set up the cartridge using the instructions and a protractor that they also recommended by D.B. Systems. It was very easy to do, even though I was a bit nervous about it all. All in all, I spent about an hour on the entire install, balancing the tone arm and taking my time with the protractor to make sure I got it right.

Well, my wife was in awe, along with myself, while playing some old Rolling Stones. Man you just cannot beat the sound of vinyl, even if it is on an older DD DJ turntable that I am sure many here will say is junk.

To the op, I hunted around for info on my turntable, and found it still available at a few outfits for around $239. I think I gave around $500 for this unit a few years ago, and am very happy with it. Sure, you have to buy a cartridge, but it is a solid performer, at least to my ears.

Mike

Congrats on getting your deck up and running... Denon makes a nice deck so I agree no reason to get rid of it. Welcome back to the Club
Prepare to spend lots of money on records
Of coarse they can always be found second hand for cheap so not too bad of a hobby.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexiconthx /forum/post/16959871

Congrats on getting your deck up and running... Denon makes a nice deck so I agree no reason to get rid of it. Welcome back to the Club
Prepare to spend lots of money on records
Of coarse they can always be found second hand for cheap so not too bad of a hobby.

Lex, thanks for the warm welcome back!

I think I have already dropped about $400 this week alone at various sites on mainly new but also some used vinyl. I forgot how much better the music sounds on vinyl. My God, what a difference over CD and SACD, just incredible. The Parasound Zphono pre amp and that new Denon cartridge really made a HUGE difference over using the built in amp in the Denon deck and the Grado cartridge that I did have installed. Just incredible, and still in awe...

Mike

·
Registered
344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet /forum/post/16959896

Lex, thanks for the warm welcome back!

I think I have already dropped about $400 this week alone at various sites on mainly new but also some used vinyl. I forgot how much better the music sounds on vinyl. My God, what a difference over CD and SACD, just incredible. The Parasound Zphono pre amp and that new Denon cartridge really made a HUGE difference over using the built in amp in the Denon deck and the Grado cartridge that I did have installed. Just incredible, and still in awe...

Mike

Ya some great audiophile releases coming out. It is great to see all these quality pressings out there. It is a shame generation dummy is so hooked on the mp3 because they don't know all they are missing not only the great sound quality but the album artwork also... I just purchased the 30th anniversary edition of Dark Side of the moon and it is just amazing

·
Registered
2,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexiconthx /forum/post/16961618

Ya some great audiophile releases coming out. It is great to see all these quality pressings out there. It is a shame generation dummy is so hooked on the mp3 because they don't know all they are missing not only the great sound quality but the album artwork also... I just purchased the 30th anniversary edition of Dark Side of the moon and it is just amazing

Pink Floyd, how about that! I just ordered the same album yesterday. Can't wait for that one.

Here is a shot of my setup, no one else to share it with around here. The best I could get with the trusty iPhone.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Just a suggestion: I'd move that turntable a bit further away from the speaker, if possible. I'd also pull the L/R speakers forward a few inches.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/16962303

Just a suggestion: I'd move that turntable a bit further away from the speaker, if possible. I'd also pull the L/R speakers forward a few inches.

Yeah, I know, just set everything up yesterday with the turntable, still messing with it. Had a hum from the Parasound Zphono amp and just ran a ground to my AVR, hum is now gone. Been moving stuff around and said screw it, it's beer thirty.

And my wife will be home in a few minutes, so I wanted to enjoy my new/old turntable. She gives party pooper a new name, no matter how good she thinks it sounds.

Mike

·
Registered
344 Posts
Very sweet looking setup
I agree though moving the turn table away from the speaker is a good idea
The good ting is that table has a great suspension so she should still sound great. Always best to isolate a turntable though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.