AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a home, in which I get to put together a "man cave" of my own. The space is basically 17ft by 17ft with a 9ft drop ceiling. The primary viewing position will be about 1-2 feet from the back wall. I just bought a Vizio P70 4k tv for my main viewing and will have a 50" tv on each side of it. I need help putting together the sound system. My budget is about $3000-3500 and I am hoping to get some pretty good bang for the buck.

My two most recent systems have been A) 4 sony tower speakers (15yrs old) and A JBL center run by an old Yamaha Receiver and B) a Pioneer VSX 9040 running an Energy Take 5.1 system in which 3 of the 5 speakers are blown.

I am looking for a 7 speaker system and a receiver that up converts 4K video. It will primarily be used for Home Theater and Video gaming, with the occasional listening of music. A second zone would be a nice addition but is not absolutely necessary.

Knowing very little, I have come up with this system for my budget:

Polk CSI A6
Polk RTI A7
Polk FXI A4 for rear and side surrounds

Onkyo TX-NR838 or Yamaha RX-A1030

Subwoofer???

Again I am a novice and would welcome any input. I also know different people prefer different manufacturers. Unfortunately there isn't a place nearby for me to go and listen to different speakers either.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
332 Posts
One of MANY options. Speakers are subjective but anything suggested on here will be 100x better than the Energy Take Classics.

Receiver - Denon x3100 from accessories4less $500
Front L/R - Two Klipsch RF-82II $800
Center - One Klipsch RC-62II $350
Rears - Four Klipsch RS-42 $700
Subs - Two Rythmik LV12R's $1082
Total - $3432

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of MANY options. Speakers are subjective but anything suggested on here will be 100x better than the Energy Take Classics.

Receiver - Denon x3100 from accessories4less $500
Front L/R - Two Klipsch RF-82II $800
Center - One Klipsch RC-62II $350
Rears - Four Klipsch RS-42 $700
Subs - Two Rythmik LV12R's $1082
Total - $3432

Thank you for your input. How much more do you like Klipsch over Polk? I do not know much about them, but I will definitely check them out. Also why are two subs needed? Again you are talking to a novice :) Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I personally am not a fan of Klipsch speakers I have heard so I go for Polk speakers. Sound is subjective what sounds good to one person might sound like crap to another.

OP- If you want to save some money and still go with Polk I might suggest purchasing speakers from Polk's eBay store http://www.ebay.com/sch/polkaudio/m.html?item=360991679817&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l4064

For subwoofers look at internet direct companies like SVS, HSU, Rythmik, PSA, and/or Outlaw Audio

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thank you for your input. How much more do you like Klipsch over Polk? I do not know much about them, but I will definitely check them out. Also why are two subs needed? Again you are talking to a novice :) Thanks again!
I haven't had the chance to listen to Polk but have owned Klipsch and liked them. Best thing to do would be get both and compare them in your room (maybe just the front two speakers). As far as dual subs...because it's in the budget! ;) The larger the room, the more it takes to get the best bass. And two will also help even out the sound. Others can explain it all much better than I can. There are MANY other good speakers and subs out there to choose from, that was just one example.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another thing I did like about the Polk FXI A4s are that they are bi/dipole. I have been reading that they me be preferable with my seating area being so close to the rear of the room.

Also, thanks Crazyrob for the link. I will check it out.

I do still welcome any other suggestions, I like to be thorough in my research :)

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Your front stage (left, right and center) will be your most important purchase, followed by a subwoofer (or two), the AVR and then the surrounds. No one will know what sound you are after or what brand of speaker you like better than another. Do go out and audition as many speakers as practical, both tower and bookshelf speakers. With 3 TVs in your front area, do leave room for speakers on the side of your main TV, and enough room in your entertainment/audio center for your center channel (or an area below the main TV for a center channel mounting stand). And while I don’t see a need for towers with a subwoofer, perhaps you do. Just remember that the subwoofer is going to be taking the over the low frequencies from your speakers, making their bass response a moot point. And the less money that is spent on speakers and an AVR, the more you’ll have to spend on subwoofers, so budget accordingly.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
In that price range, I would consider Ascend Acoustic...probably the CMT340 front stage. Or if you want to splurge for some ribbon tweeters, the Sierra 2, but those set you back 1400+/pr
You could also get yourself an EMPtek tower front stage and center for around 1000.
Nothing wrong with the other suggestions in the thread...

·
Registered
810 Posts
Polk RTi A series are great, but there are other great speakers too. I agree with everyone else: try to listen to as many as possible. In the end I selected the RTi A series because I thought they sounded the best, and as an added benefit, the cherry finish is very nice looking! For subs, go internet direct.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can not find anywhere close where I can go listen to different speakers unfortunately. The one place I found only had high end speakers, like $15,000 Bowers and Wilkens speakers. Ouch! So I will have to rely on my internet research and the generously given expertise of the forum. :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
I can not find anywhere close where I can go listen to different speakers unfortunately. The one place I found only had high end speakers, like $15,000 Bowers and Wilkens speakers. Ouch! So I will have to rely on my internet research and the generously given expertise of the forum. :)
Some internet direct companies offer free shipping both ways. If you are an Amazon Prime customer I believe you could do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
In that budget, I would be looking into bookshelf speakers for fronts, and possibly a pair of subwoofers. For speakers, I might look into Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 fronts, or maybe some JBL Studio 530s. For subs, I would be looking at a pair of Hsu VTF2 mk4s or the aforementioned Rythmik LV12rs. If you want a system that absolutely pounds with bass, check out a Hsu Hybrid 3 package and ask Hsu to add another VTF3. For a receiver, I would stick with Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, or Pioneer.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The RTi series sounds the same as the RTi A series. The A probably stands for aesthetics though because the RTi A series looks way way way better! Easily worth the extra money for the better looking cabinets.

The RTi8 is the same as the RTiA5, 10 as the A7, and 12 as the A9 except for the cabinet design.

Reactions: crazyrob425

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
www.accessories4less.com has got some nice package deals going on that you could check out. http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ries-5-pc-package-denon-avr-x4100w-new/1.html That one would leave enough money in your budget for a nice sub maybe like this one. http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb-2000 You could also pick up an extra pair of the focals to make it a 7.1 system. http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...6-v2-bookshelf-speakers-pair-black-ash/1.html
Without listening to speakers, its a crap shot. But you will save money by buying a package deal. The focals listed above may be a good buy. I know the brand Focal makes some very high end speakers. I had a pair in my car that had the beryllium tweeters that costed $2k just for 2 tweeters and 2 mid woofers.

You can also find some good package deals here. http://www.sounddistributors.com/index.asp

And here is a package deal that would be good IMO. But its a bit over your budget. But you are basically getting a Marantz AVR for free. I have the towers here and they are nice sounding towers for music and movies. But this set up really shines for Home Theater. The center channel is a monster. http://www.sounddistributors.com/buynow.asp?action=detail&prid=689&crid=234&cat_name=Search

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Right now on Amazon, there is the JBL 570 HT package (two 570 towers, 520c, two 530) for $1999....just add a sub of your choice. The 570s produce a superb soundstage...they just need a good sub.

For a 7 channel system, just add another pair of 530.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
^ A lot of people would be thrilled with the 530s as their front stage :cool:. That looks like an excellent deal.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Consider DIY /AIY options for the speakers and sub - there are many options in your budget. For example, fusion-10 max for LCR ($1200) and volt10-LX for surrounds ($700), dual ported 18" SI-HT18 with iNuke amp ($1100), and the balance for a denon x4100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,608 Posts
^
+1

replaced my Klipsch F-3's and G-28 center with the DIYSG in my sig

had some LAHTG at the home yesterday to give the new set up a run, the upgrade is new since they were there in late DEC
smiles all around
and then we ran select scenes from Gravity, the ATMOS new one, John Falk, mockingjay and a variety of music and Dolby demo disk

new LCR ran about $1100, a flat pack for the center and kits for the Fusion 15's
worth every penny and moment

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.