AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm helping a friend put together a new home theater system (actually 2) and he's looking for advice on which subs to get. The requirements are that it be a sub on the small side, ideally something that's around (+/-) 13" cube or so. The primary listening space on the main floor is probably around 700 sq ft or so and about the same on the lower level. Note that its an open floor plan that opens up into other living areas so the actual "family rooms" are smaller. The main floor is hardwood while the lower level is stamped concrete, which I'm assuming will make a difference in how the sub will perform. Let's say budget is $1000 for each sub, but ideally lower.

I've had limited experience w/ various subs from Klipsch, Infinity, Cambridge Soundworks, SVS, Sunfire and Velodyne.

The limitations of a small sub are obvious and he's not a basshead so there's no interest in vibrating items off the mantle. The goal is to just get a sub that fills out the bottom end well with minimal distortion. Of course, "feeling" the bass would be ideal during movie playback...

He was originally looking at the Sunfire HRS 12 which is a 13" cube. However, I was suggesting the slightly larger SB12-NSD, based on my Sunfire/SVS experiences. I had a Sunfire True Subwoofer back in the day but I found it to be overpriced for what it did and since then have owned an SVS PC12 and now a PB2 Plus (obviously much larger). It just seems like SVS offers much more for your money and I'm making the assumption tha tthe SB12 can keep up with if not surpass the performance of the Sunfire.

1. Am I making a correct assumption?

2. Any other small sealed subs I should be looking at?

Thanks for your help.

Midfi

·
Registered
14,581 Posts
for a small sealed sub the svs sb1000 gets good reviews, although I would probably go with a rythmik f12 based off of the information you posted or even the e15, but it maybe a hair bigger than what your friend is looking for.

the pb12nsd is pretty large, which is the exact opposite of whst your looking for. i think the e15 is quite a bit smaller than the pb12

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products1.html

·
Premium Member
13,362 Posts
 Sunfire HRS-12

- 12" driver

- 1,000W RMS amp

- 16-100Hz +/- ?dB

SVS SB12-NSD

- 12" driver

- 400W RMS

- 23-270Hz +/-3dB

Dunno. The Sunfire is a bit smaller (about 1" per side), but it has significantly more power, which makes me think (perhaps incorrectly) that if the FR were rated with a +/-3dB variance, extension would probably be close to the SVS's 23Hz @ -3dB. Overall output is reportedly quite good for the SVS, and it's probably also quite good for the Sunfire. If prices were similar, I'd opt for the Sunfire; else, I'd go for the SVS. For the main floor.

(For $949, shipped, dual SVS SB-1000 s would provide similar extension, smoother FR at the listening position, but possibly a bit less overall output.)

For the basement, your friend really should (IMO) consider a larger / more powerful sub. A very well-rated option would be the ported PSA XV15 ($799, shipped):

- 15" driver

- 500W RMS amp

- 21-200Hz +/-3dB

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1469751/need-recommendations-on-a-micro-sub-svs-sunfire-etc#post_23240176

for a small sealed sub the svs sb1000 gets good reviews, although I would probably go with a rythmik f12 based off of the information you posted or even the e15, but it maybe a hair bigger than what your friend is looking for.

the pb12nsd is pretty large, which is the exact opposite of whst your looking for. i think the e15 is quite a bit smaller than the pb12

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products1.html

Hi Basshead, thanks for your reply. But I was refering to the SB12, not the PB12.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck  /t/1469751/need-recommendations-on-a-micro-sub-svs-sunfire-etc#post_23240183

Sunfire HRS-12

- 12" driver

- 1,000W RMS amp

- 16-100Hz +/- ?dB

SVS SB12-NSD

- 12" driver

- 400W RMS

- 23-270Hz +/-3dB

Dunno. The Sunfire is a bit smaller (about 1" per side), has more power, and the extension - if it were rated with a +/-3dB variance - would probably be close to the SVS's 23Hz @ -3dB. If prices were similar, I'd opt for the Sunfire; else, I'd go for the SVS. For the main floor.

(For $949, shipped, dual SVS SB-1000 s would provide similar extension, smoother FR at the listening position, but possibly a bit less overall output.)

For the basement, your friend really should (IMO) consider a larger / more powerful sub. A very well-rated option would be the ported PSA XV15 ($799, shipped):

- 15" driver

- 500W RMS amp

- 21-200Hz +/-3dB

Thanks! It's good to know that I'm looking at the right options. What may happen is that he order one sub for the main room and then try it out downstairs to see how it fairs. We can use that the determine if he should go with a dual sealed setup or maybe a larger ported one downstairs.

·
Registered
14,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midfiman  /t/1469751/need-recommendations-on-a-micro-sub-svs-sunfire-etc#post_23240313

Hi Basshead, thanks for your reply. But I was refering to the SB12, not the PB12.

ya i get those 2 mixed up all the time lol...forgive me!

also on the xv15, actual extension will be 16-18hz depending. Im getting great extension down to 15hz with dual xv15's. however they are not small, but they do make great end tables

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1469751/need-recommendations-on-a-micro-sub-svs-sunfire-etc#post_23240522

ya i get those 2 mixed up all the time lol...forgive me!

also on the xv15, actual extension will be 16-18hz depending. Im getting great extension down to 15hz with dual xv15's. however they are not small, but they do make great end tables

As an owner of the SVS PB2-plus, I can appreciate what a larger sub is capable of. However, asthetics/size is of importance so he really wants to minimize the size of the sub where possible.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, from doing a little more research, I'm throwing the Emotiva X-ref 12 into the ring as well. Any thoughts on this guy vs. the SVS SB12-NSD? The Emotiva is of course a bit larger so I don't know if it's a fair direct comparison...

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck  /t/1469751/need-recommendations-on-a-micro-sub-svs-sunfire-etc#post_23240711

The X-Ref 12 is a good sub, although IIRC it rolls off fairly sharply below 30Hz (not so good for low-frequency HT content) and above 80Hz (not so good for crossing over with smaller / satellite-style speakers). I'd take the SB12-NSD over the X-Ref 12.

Thanks for the input! Good to know!

·
Registered
14,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midfiman  /t/1469751/need-recommendations-on-a-micro-sub-svs-sunfire-etc#post_23240857

Thanks for the input! Good to know!

dont forget to check out rythmik aswell. if you have 2000.00 to spend on subs a pair of F12's (1688.00 shipped)would be a good choice. Im pretty sure they will have considerably more output than the svs sb1000 and extension down to 14hz opposed to 25hz with the sb1000. Im basing this off of the fact that you want small compact subs.

if you can go slightly bigger as mentioned the xs15(PSA smallest offering)is a great sub!(1423.10 shipped for a pair) this sub will have more output than the F12 but not quite the extension, 16-20hz depending on the room.

XS15- 19.5" x18.5" x 20.75" (d,w,h) 73lbs 16-200hz +/-3db

F12- 18.5" x 15.75" x 15.75" 75lbs 14-200hz +/-3db

SB1000- 14" x 13" x 13.6" 27lbs 24-260hz +/-3db

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.