AVS Forum banner

Need recommendations on "low end" media player

1376 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  David_Levin
I'm looking to buy a wireless media player in the very near future, and have been reading a lot about these, but could use some recommendations. Some of the things that I don't care about are:

-HD

-Internet radio compatibility

Some of my requirements are:

-Wireless

-Plays Divx as well as mpeg-2/4

(here's a big one...) - Inexpensive!

I have a PC with a ton of media files, mostly Divx and MP3, as well as a lot of pictures, that I'd love to be able to stream to my TV. I have a DIVX playing DVD player, but it's a pain having to constantly burn disks.

I was initially leaning towards XBMC running on an xbox, but have been having trouble finding a reasonably priced xbox, and I'm a little leery about buying a used one only to have it crap out in the short term. So here's where I am

-MG-350 (remember that I need wireless). I like the fact that it has a HD that I can put media directly on, but it's really on the far edge of my cost range ($250).

-D-link DSM-520 (possibly even the 320)

-Hauppauge wMVP - I haven't heard much about this, but I like the price and the form factor, and people seem to have been pretty happy with the previous MVP version.

Any comments and/or other suggestions? It would be GREATLY appreciated!
See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
You can't beat the XBMC for the price and value and for what you get with it. The GUI is great and its pretty easy to softmod and setup.

GameStop has a 30 day guarantee on their used Xboxes, so you have some protection there if you want to go that route...

I don't have experience running it wireless, but that may be a limiting factor for how well you can stream your video content for all of the options you listed above.

Good Luck.
If cheap is your primary consideration, then consider the ADSTech MediaLink MXL-581. It comes with a wireless card and can playback DivX. It is a clone and has the same limitations as many other Syabas-based players. It can be used with the free 3rd party software SwissCenter and Wizd. I've found it to be pretty trouble-free; I just don't like the limitations of all media players: no resume, no skip back/forward, no goto time code, no file deletion. It's not being sold or updated by the manufacturer any more, but can be had for $75: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...MP=OTC-Froogle .
I can't be sure that the DSM-520 will do what you want, but I can reccomend it as an inexpensive player. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it works pretty well for downconverted hdtv (xvid). I have used it with the Cidero Internet Radio proxy server ( http://www.cidero.com ), which is free. (oops, just noticed those are things you AREN'T interested in).

I also have the MediaMVP and it is pretty much a piece of junk. I would say the DSM-520 is worth about $200 but the MediaMVP is worth about $50. The MVP is interesting as a hackable device however (only reason I got it). I would guess the wireless version is the same.

The DSM-520 is a pretty decent product. If you want customer support, look elsewhere. It may be worth paying extra for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kklarson
If cheap is your primary consideration, then consider the ADSTech MediaLink MXL-581. It comes with a wireless card and can playback DivX. It is a clone and has the same limitations as many other Syabas-based players. It can be used with the free 3rd party software SwissCenter and Wizd. I've found it to be pretty trouble-free; I just don't like the limitations of all media players: no resume, no skip back/forward, no goto time code, no file deletion. It's not being sold or updated by the manufacturer any more, but can be had for $75: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...MP=OTC-Froogle .

Geeks has it for $49 today if you apply the ADSMXL coupon code at checkout. They might have their 2.99 or 1.99 shipping promo tomorrow too- they often do on Thursdays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit
Geeks has it for $49 today if you apply the ADSMXL coupon code at checkout. They might have their 2.99 or 1.99 shipping promo tomorrow too- they often do on Thursdays.
Does the MXL-581 support Hi-Def XVid (like the LinkPlayer 2)?

How about XVid with AC3 ?

Thanks
So I opted to go the easy route, and have bought a DLink DSM-520. I like the idea of some of the other units, but this was well priced ($179), and bought from the store right down the street if I don't like it (Best Buy). I'll try it out and see how it works for me. I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks for the replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Levin
Does the MXL-581 support Hi-Def XVid (like the LinkPlayer 2)?

How about XVid with AC3 ?

Thanks
The MXL-581 cannot go much above 480 lines of resolution without the picture starting to show some artifacting.

It does handle Xvid as well as AC3.
See less See more
Thanks. Yea, I picked one up.

Hi-Resoludion XVids don't work (picture breakup).

Bummer - with a DVI port one would kind of expect higher quality playback.

Oh well. h.264 is starting to get popular anyway. Guess I need to set up a media PC.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.