AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - New to these forums and the US models since we've been away for a while. Was on AVForums elsewhere previously and hoping you all can help here.

We're looking to buy an LCD 37" for a smaller room in our place; primary use will be for movies/tv/video games. High Definition. (We'll look for a bigger plasma (50") for the other room.)

Can anyone recommend a good brand and model? Price range is open as we try to figure the market. Would of course like a great tv and a good deal.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Panasonic TC-37LZ800 is a great way to start. Has 1080p and tons of good options. Might want to research that if price isn't a consideration.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Don't close your options to a 40", often you have far more choices and very close in price and often better featuresets and with 1080P pixel fill and 1:1 mode enables very close viewing - don't judge it by a 4:3 mode dinosaur CRT.

The Samsung 550/650/750 in 40" would be at the top of the list IMO from reviewing current panels. If you insist on a 37" - Samsung LN37A550 --- go check owner reviews at Amazon on all these. XBR6 is a great choice also but usually has a price premium to it that would not stop me but for those with a tighter budget it's a concern.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avhappy /forum/post/14211201

Hi - New to these forums and the US models since we've been away for a while. Was on AVForums elsewhere previously and hoping you all can help here.

We're looking to buy an LCD 37" for a smaller room in our place; primary use will be for movies/tv/video games. High Definition. (We'll look for a bigger plasma (50") for the other room.)

Can anyone recommend a good brand and model? Price range is open as we try to figure the market. Would of course like a great tv and a good deal.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know for the life of me why all the posters above me are recommending the more expensive 1080p sets for your needs. If you are not using the set for Computer text, you really do not NEED 1080p. There are a number of very good 720p sets out there in the 37 inch range that will cost you $500 less and support your objectives VERY well. Why spend $1500 when you can spend $800 on nearly the same set?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies. and for the 720p tip.

also, what is the 'motion flow' feature about? and epg?

·
Registered
160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avhappy /forum/post/14211201

Thanks in advance.

Also try the TC-37LZ85, which is cheaper by 200 odd .... it doesnt have the pseudo 120Hz but has a matte finish, if you hate glossy screens (like I do)

·
Registered
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avhappy /forum/post/14214209

thanks for the replies. and for the 720p tip.

also, what is the 'motion flow' feature about? and epg?

Motionflow is Sony's name for 120hz processing (decreases motion blur and jitter on movies) and electronics program guide. Which might be a deal breaker for me. I'm looking for a 37 to put in my motorhome in a space limited cabinet. So I've narrowed it down to 37XBR6, 37GP1U or a 37A550. All the specs point twords the Samsung but, my gut feeling tells me to go with the Sony.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
There are some pretty good deals on the Sharp 37d64u's right now.

Also, the Samsung 530 and 550's come in 37". I'm sort of curious as to who manufactures the panels for those though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller /forum/post/14216847

There are some pretty good deals on the Sharp 37d64u's right now.

Also, the Samsung 530 and 550's come in 37". I'm sort of curious as to who manufactures the panels for those though.

Thanks again everyone. HHaller -- are the 530 and 550's the only Samsungs with the 'mystery' manufacturers? Is this something to be concerned about? I'm really a newbie and sorry if this is a naive question.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avhappy /forum/post/14218174

Thanks again everyone. HHaller -- are the 530 and 550's the only Samsungs with the 'mystery' manufacturers? Is this something to be concerned about? I'm really a newbie and sorry if this is a naive question.

To be perfectly honest with you, I'm not sure if you need to worry about who makes the panels for the 37"...Samsung consistently has some of the top-rated 32"ers on the market, and I'm not sure if they make those panels so I don't think it really matters.

It's really just something that I've been interested in finding out about, so don't let it dissuade you. I'm trying to decide between a 37" and 40" myself right now. The 37A550 is looking really good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts