Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I currently have a HK AVR 8000 that unfortunately I need to replace due to space limitations in my house. I'm looking for some suggestions on AV receivers or alternatives that are no deeper than 13.5". The current receiver is just too large. Room is 13 X 14. Listen to music mostly and some home theater and will be connected to Plasma.

In addition, I also want to burn my old cd's onto a smaller device than my sony 200 CD disc changer. Thoughts...

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmortal
Greetings,

I currently have a HK AVR 8000 that unfortunately I need to replace due to space limitations in my house. I'm looking for some suggestions on AV receivers or alternatives that are no deeper than 13". The current receiver is just too large. Room is 13 X 14. Listen to music mostly and some home theater and will be connected to Plasma.

Thanks for your help.
Close enough in size?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Sdiver,

Not sure what you mean but the major issue with the 8000 is the depth. I have height clearance and width clearnance but not the depth.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I think you're going to have a tough time finding a "high quality" receiver with that kind of depth limitation. I'd really try to work around that limitation, such as moving it to a new location, or slightly modifying the place where it's sitting now, etc.

Sorry that I can't offer any specific recommendations, but I'm not sure very many exist.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmortal
Hi Sdiver,

Not sure what you mean but the major issue with the 8000 is the depth. I have height clearance and width clearnance but not the depth.
What I meant was if that was close enough to the max depth. I believe it was a bit over 14 inches. If you can stretch how much room you have just an inch or so, this would probably be your best bet, otherwise good luck finding a receiver that is 13 inches deep.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
The shortest "high quality" receiver that I am aware of is the B&K at about 16" deep. Most everything else starts at 18" and up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Miltimj,

Thanks for this. The back wall is concrete and the idea was to extend some type of shelving to to the starting depth point of our fireplace which is around 13 inches. It looks like I may have some issues here... Ugh...

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Well, as I mentioned, look for an alternate location and run cabling/wires to it if you absolutely can't go deeper. There's got to be a place to put it; even if it's out of the way, you can add an IR repeater to still use the remote if it's hidden.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Just extend the shelving a little more.

The B&K's depth measurement includes the knobs on its face, so the actual chassis and rear connectors is about 15.25". It will rest on a 13-14" shelf well enough, because the feet are recessed a bit from both the front and back, but don't forget about additional room for cables. That adds approximately 3".

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I think your last sentence explains why it's not possible with that receiver... He's got a concrete wall on the back, so he needs room for cabling.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Miltimj,

Thanks for this.

This may be a stretch but could I set-up my Av receiver, CD player, DVD Player in the basement (we are re-wiring the house so this shouldn't be a problem) and still control all of these things with one of those super remotes and an IR Repeater? I don't know much about either of these and don't how practical it would be - your thoughts?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is getting good. If I can wire to the basement from upstairs I guess I could leave the AV Receiver, CD Player, vcr downstairs. For my dvd player I think I would still want to have it upstairs so I wouldn't haven't to run downstairs.

If I had the IR Repeater and Logitech® Harmony® 880 Advanced Universal Remote or Marantz RC5400 Universal Learning Remote (The Harmony is way, way cheaper...) would I be able to control everything from upstairs. The key thing is that it has to be easy to control for my wife. Thoughts...

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Yes, but anything you keep upstairs (like the DVD player) will need to have long cables run to the receiver. This is fine, but not ideal. The only other negative I can think of is you can't be sure that the macros they put out are for sure registering at the devices. It's a very occasional occurance where you need to physically turn something on or change input modes, etc, because the IR signal didn't get through. As long as they're still accessible, it should work fine 95% of the time.

If it were me, I'd try and keep it in the same room if possible, so you don't have to go trekking across the house if necessary...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
miltimj,

Just so I'm clear you are recommending keeping all the gear together in the basement? What is the audio consequence in putting the DVD upstairs? Really have appreciated your help on this.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Sorry, I'm recommending that if it's at all possible to keep it in your viewing room, then do that. Finding some corner to put it in, etc, would be better than hooking up an IR repeater system to run from the basement, etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the clarification but I don't have the space in the room or anywhere upstairs so I will have to set-up in the basement. Do you see any other problems? Although not completely ideal, I have two options:

1. Leave DVD player upstairs

2. Keep DVD Player downstairs with other equipment.

Recommendation?

Will be speaking to the electricians tomorrow. If I can't wire to the basement, I'll have to go to plan b which will be having a custom cabinet built that can handle the avr 8000 which is 20.5" deep and also fit the other equipment - vcr, dvd, HDTV box, etc. This is not preferable as I'd like to keep the room as "clean" and "open" as possible but it is a possibility if moving the equipment to the basement is not ideal.

Thanks, Cmortal

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I'd have the custom cabinet built, but not built-in, so you could move it if really necessary (if you want it more open in the future). The second choice is probably equipment in the basement, DVD player acting as the CD player also, and upstairs. Then run two cables -- a digital coaxial cable (decent quality, shielding, etc), and an HDMI cable (assuming your player has DVI/HDMI outputs). I'm partial to using HDMI cables and a DVI adapter if necessary, unless you have a DVI source and display, in which case it's probably not worth multiple adapters.

Keep your cable runs as far away from the electrical as possible; this makes more of a difference in longer runs like you'll have.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Loh and behold,

I walked my wife through some of the different ideas tonight. She likes the idea of keeping everything upstairs in a custom cabinet. Can't actually believe this... (I think she has electronic discussion fatigue.) This should make things a little easier. Now all I have to do is try and sell my beautiful bello stand and get something where I can hide the components. Still like the idea of the remotes though... Thanks to everyone who pitched in their ideas... Next is to find a cabinet or get it custom built...Any makers of cabinets that I should think about???

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
The nice thing is you can still do the universal remote thing even if they're all in the rack. The same benefit exists -- you just don't need an IR repeater then. I'd try finding a custom cabinet maker in your area, especially those that friends have used, if available. My parents used a friend for their custom desks in their office and it they're incredibly nice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.