AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just beginning renovating a basement room into a dedicated HT. I have a room 17ftL x 12ftW x 7ftH to work with. I would like to build an 8 inch or so riser against the back wall and place a row of four actual theater seats; a cozy couch will be placed below and directly in front of this back row. My concern is, with only 17 total ft in length, the couch in the front row may end up too close to the screen. I understand viewing distance depends on a few factors including screen size. I do not yet know what size screen I will have, I haven't even decided yet if I will go rear or front projection (though I am leaning heavily toward front projection at this time for multiple reasons).

I don't know enough about front projection screens yet to paint you all an analogy so let me use this one; assume the worst case scenario using a 72 to 80 inch HDTV rear projection TV. Recessing is not an option unfortunately, so figure I will lose about 3 feet or so in viewing distance if going large rear projection. I am figuring the front seat viewers will end up roughly 9 to 10 feet from screen if HDTV rear projection, or 11 to 12 feet if front projection is used (which I figure is fine, it's the rear projection I'm concerned with at 9 to 10 feet with 72 to 80 inch screen).

One of the reasons, among many, that I really like the front projection is because I will gain three or so feet in viewing distance since the screen can be mounted flush against the wall. So I am wondering, what is the minimum width for a riser in order to allow reasonable, albeit conservative legroom for the theater seats in the second row?

I am working with a totally clean slate at this time, haven't even put the drywall up yet, so any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance folks, this forum rocks.

Jim

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I'm in the middle of theater construction myself, and I had to do some figuring on that also. I finally decided that 2 feet of distance between the back of the front row and the front of the back row was required at a minimum for comfort during a long movie. However, it also depends on how deep the back seats are. If a person's knees don't stick out very far past the front of the seat, then you could get by with less distance. My 2 foot standard is based on my particular seating choice.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I would think 3 foot would be fair. That would put your head at about 13 to 14 foot from the screen. GO BIG FPTV.....:D

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

LOL... thanks bwolff, that's of course what I would really LIKE to do, it's just a matter of how big I CAN go since viewing distance space is limited, especially since I would like to have two rows of seating as opposed to only one. Of course, if I go one row, I can then go with a larger FP screen but I will have little seating. Ahhhhhh... decisions, decisions.

filmnut, what is the width of your riser though? I'm trying to determine how many feet in from the back wall the couch (which will be the front row) will have to be if I build a riser against the wall for the back row seating. Bear in mind, I plan to use actual theater seating for the back row as opposed to another couch, since I figure the theater seating will require a narrower amount of space. I was thinking something like 4 feet for the width of the riser. So 17ft minus 4ft (add an additional 1 ft of space between back of couch and front of riser) means the front row couch will be approx. 12 feet from the screen (assuming I use a FP system with screen mounted flush against the far wall, or it would be a couple feet less if I have to go 72 inch rear projection HDTV). Anyone…., am giving the riser too much space (including the additional 1 ft.) or not enough do you think? The theater seats on the riser would be all the way back against the wall. What width for the riser have some of you other folks used in a room of similar proportions?

bwolff, I wasn't sure if you were answering 3 feet for the width of the riser, or if you were adding to filmnuts reference for distance between the back of the front row and the front of the back row riser? I believe you meant actual width for the riser since you also mention head position at 13 to 14 feet.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Jim

PS> Nice sig bwolff, I'm part of that club myself, my fiancée says that to me all the time...lol...

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. Doing the very early planning of a basement HT. My area to work with is 24 x 11 x 7.5. I found it very helpful to bring folding chairs into the basement to play around with the placement of seating. I even went so far as to hang sheets from the ceiling to simulate walls to get a feeling for the finished dimensions. I put up a temporary DIY screen for my LT150 and used my pc to view a few DVDs to really get a feel for viewing distances. These steps helped me figure things out like min viewing distance and second row seating distances too. I cant stress how important it was to have this simulated ht room. I ended up changing quite a few things that I thought I was going to do. your seating distance to the front row will depend on the type of seat as filmnut mentioned. Also will you need to allow for space for people to walk between the rows to get to the back seats. Don't just imagine them in the seats already. Also I would be careful allowing a 1 ft gap between the riser and front seats. Could be a safety issue, someone could step into that gap in the dark room if they get up during a movie. Might be better to butt the riser up to the first row or make sure you put some step lighting there. Anyway hope this long winded response helps a bit.

:D

Bill

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
pugaboom,

my riser comes out 12 feet from the back wall, but that's because I have a large room and I wanted some space for people to walk around and gather behind the back row. If I was going to put the second row flush up against the back wall, then I would have made the riser 5 feet wide, because the couch is 3 feet from front to back, plus the 2 feet of space in front of it for legroom.

If you will be placing the rear seats up against the rear wall in your room, then the riser should only be wide enough for the seats plus the legroom. Since you're using theater-style seats, I assume they would be about 2 feet deep. So, 4 feet would be the minimum for you, in my opinion.

And I agree with the last post that you should not put a gap between the riser and the front row. Someone will sprain their ankle sooner or later. And it's not needed unless it's a rocking couch.

If you're willing to put both rows a little closer to the screen/TV, then you'll get better sound for the rear seats if you get them off of the back wall. But that sacrifices viewing distance, of course, and therefore screen size.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I am on the other end of the construction line. My room is 95% finished. My room is almost the same as yours 13.5 x 17.5 or so. I think projector model, the screen size and floor or ceiling mount are the first determinations you need to make, if leaning towards an FP. Reason I say this.....I went with a 54 x 96 homebrew screen, and a 1271 sony projector. The front of the projector needed to be 129" from the screen. The length of the projector was a big factor for me as it was floor mounted. I am not trying to confuse you...but rather get to the point that with a room that size there really isnt room for 2 complete rows of seating if the PJ will be floor mounted. You could however, put one row (or a couch) behind the FP and 2 seats on each side of it. Basically switching what you had planned with the couch in the back and the theater seats in front. This is what we did. Hope this makes some sense. In my case...the rear row is MINE. The sound is geared towards it (sides even with the couch, rears aimed toward it also).

Here is another thing that came into factor for my "small" HT room.

Equiptment placement.

Leave room for speakers on both sides of the screen. If you have huge front speakers, you may need a smaller screen.

I mounted my screen 24" from the floor and put all my gear on a homebuilt rack under it. As a result, the projector went up 8" off the floor.

Center channel. I have one mounted on brackets above the screen aimed downward toward the seating area. I also have a second one that I will mount on the gear rack under the screen, aimed at the seating also (when I have time to build a new rack). Reason for 2 centers is that theoretically, one on top and one on bottom would place the sound in the middle of the screen.

Wire for 7 channel!!!!! Even if you dont plan on using it.

Hope this may help you some. If you have questions feel free to email me. I will take some pictures next monday and put up a makeshift website.

·
Registered
457 Posts
My Theatre is 15' x 15' and has 2 rows of stadium seating. The rear seating is on a 10.5" riser that is 4' deep. The front row is backed-up right to the front edge of the riser (plus a few inches for rocking motion) to avoid that sprained ankle thing. You can see them here . Another 6" of legroom for the rear seating would have been nice for people over 6'.

The front row eyeballs end up 10' from the 100" 4:3 (84" wide)screen.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jhill32, stupid question for you. I see from your pic that the point where the stadium seats are secured to the floor is a pretty small area. I will be just starting to build a 2 inch raised floor this weekend in which I think I am going to go ahead and include the riser as well. My question is, when building the riser, do I need to coordinate placing studs or some other "additional" wood supports directly below the position where the seats will be screwed to, or is screwing them just into the 3/4-inch plywood that will make up the floor of the riser be enough to secure them?

BTW, looks like you did a hell of a job with the seats, looks cool.

Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let me rephrase that after discovering the brief instructions on your web site for constructing a riser. Is screwing the seats through the TWO 3/4 inch plywood (so 1.5 inches) floor enough? Thanks again.

Jim

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thanks.

I thought about reinforcing the platform at the mount points, but I wasn't actually settled on exact placement. I just used 1/2" lag screws, 2-1/2" long, and put them right through the carpet. So far they have survived even the toughest torture test for a Home Theatre - teenage movie parties:eek:

The hardest part about placing the seats was that the sides (legs) all bolt down first, then the backs, then the seats. And the floor mounts are actually way forward of the center of gravity, so you can't even put a chair together without bolting them to something. In my small space I wanted to put them back as far as possible, without hitting the back wall while rocking back. Although I probably could have mounted them just a few inches further back, we've found that their is just enough room to crawl behind and cleanup spills. :(

Have Fun!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.