AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a linksys WRT54GL wireless router i have my ps3 and my xbox 360 hardwired, we have 2 laptops that are used wirelessly and when my wife uses one of them when i am gaming online i notice huge lag, i have at&t dsl 6 mb, so speed shouldnt be an issue. is there a way I can change the router settings for me to get more bandwidth on my ps3 and 360 so i dont have this issue when she is on her pc?? please let me know

·
Registered
210 Posts
Does the router have QoS settings? You can adjust max bandwidth to devices.

Another thought, a commercial grade router, such as a Sonicwall, Watchguard, Cisco, Netgear commercial grade, and tons of others would honestly get you more consistent and faster throughput. $2-400, more for wireless built in, but an access point would be a better choice. Once again, commercial grade will get you better signal levels and throughput typically. We use D-Link commercial grade 3200AP, there are definitely others out there.

The stability of a consumer grade router might make things work, but there's a reason your office IT department uses equipment of better quality right? Trust me, it's worth it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You can only directly control your outbound traffic, which may or may not be an issue for you. If latency is the utmost concern, look for low latency or priority queueing outbound, and classify your interfaces to be classified for that queue, or in most cases you can do it by IP address.

It's possible to influence inbound traffic for TCP flows by either assigning them to a queue that is allocated minimal bandwidth, or by randomly discarding packets which resets the TCP window size and slows down the transmission. I know by upgrading to dd-wrt or openwrt you can get more advanced QoS settings on the WRT54GL, but unfortunately I really can't speak to them with any level of experience.

If you happen to get a nice Cisco 831 router, I can help crank out some configs

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have to ask, if you have 6mb DSL service, what in the world is your wife downloading that hogs all the bandwidth? Your upload speed is 768 or 1.5mb maybe? I don't see how your wife using the laptop for typical use of browsing the internet or even email could slow down your connection that much. I have 3mb DSL at home and even with 3 or more people on it I notice absolutely no lag at all, even if I'm downloading Linux iso files or anything else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts