AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I am planning to purchase an Epson 1080UB and I would like a recommendation for a good screen to go with it.

The wall the screen will be mounted on is 96" high by 192" wide. I won't use up all this space, but I am going for a large screen at roughly 150"-160" diagonal.

This will be in a room that does NOT have very good lighting control. A permanently mounted screen is what I'm looking for, not a retractable one.

The room is 20 feet deep. The projector will be ceiling mounted. I will probably mount it in the back of the room, to allow for maximum throw distance with minimal use of the zoom lens that reduces the light output (as I understand it).

According to the projectorcentral.com calculator, I need a 1.4 gain for a low ambient light level environment, or a 2.6 gain for a room with ambient light. These numbers seem high to me, so I'm not sure whether to follow that guidance or not.

Thanks for your recommendations!

-Ed

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Dude, that is a HUGE screen for that projector. Combine that with not much light control.......................yikes.

I would recommend a smaller screen myself. I won't match the 1080UB with a screen over 100" myself.

The Firehawk G3 from Stewart is my go-to for ambient light situations. I have paired the 1080UB with 100" Firehawks and Da Lite HCCV often, depending on the application.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edro /forum/post/14331449

Hi there,

I am planning to purchase an Epson 1080UB and I would like a recommendation for a good screen to go with it.

The wall the screen will be mounted on is 96" high by 192" wide. I won't use up all this space, but I am going for a large screen at roughly 150"-160" diagonal.

This will be in a room that does NOT have very good lighting control. A permanently mounted screen is what I'm looking for, not a retractable one.

The room is 20 feet deep. The projector will be ceiling mounted. I will probably mount it in the back of the room, to allow for maximum throw distance with minimal use of the zoom lens that reduces the light output (as I understand it).

According to the projectorcentral.com calculator, I need a 1.4 gain for a low ambient light level environment, or a 2.6 gain for a room with ambient light. These numbers seem high to me, so I'm not sure whether to follow that guidance or not.

Thanks for your recommendations!

-Ed

150" diagonal High Power, with the projector mounted low enough from the ceiling that you still get good gain. You will need the gain if you go with that size.

Forget about anything larger. The Epson will not project an image larger than 150" diagonal.

If you're really interested in contrast, you could consider the Black Diamond, but 113" diagonal is the largest size available. It would be good for your ambient light issues, though.

Are you looking into the Epson for the high contrast? For the lumens? Both? Is this for Blu-ray or HD TV or both?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Ed- Where do I start? You have some misconceptions. First of all, the brightest part of the zoom lens is at short throw (wide angle), not long throw (telephoto).

Second, a 150-160" screen is a HUGE screen. Most budget projectors such as the Epson 1080 UB can't provide enough light for that size screen unless you get a very high gain screen, such as the Da-Lite High Power screen.

Third, the Da-Lite High Power screen is a retro-reflective screen, which requires a projector mounted near seated eye level for maximum gain--a high ceiling mount won't do.

As to lighting control, you'd better add it, or plan to use your projector only at night. Ambient light is the bane of front projection.

My recommendations? If you use a ceiling mounted projector, plan on a maximum 110-120" angular reflective screen. If a 150-160" screen is your requirement, then use a low, shelf-mounted projector and a high-gain retro-reflective screen. In either case, add adequate light control--or watch only at night.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all this amazing feedback.

I was looking at the 1080UB because the most important thing to me is that I enjoy watching really, really big screen images. I was worried that my room would need as bright a projector as possible to compensate for the lighting. The 1080UB seemed to have the highest lumens output of the other projectors in its class.

I'm definitely open to other projector recommendations and I'd love to hear any advice you guys might have in that regard.

Thanks!

-Ed

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I'll add that 1. the Epson doesn't really test out at 1600 lumens out of the box and 2. if you plan to calibrate it, that number drops a lot.

I would highly recommend a smaller screen if possible.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm throwing a 140 inch diagonal (16:9) image and with good light control or at night this projector does just fine. Even with small room lights on the image is watchable, especially if you use the vivid modes (not good for movies but great for sports).

My screen is a bright white painted wall. I did this because it is inexpensive and easy to change if I didn't like it....but I do like it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts