AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just completed a basement reodel, which will have a reading room, bar area and home theater area.

I've built speaker columns to house all 7 speakers and my sub - used 3/4" MDF for construction of sub and main speaker columns.

I have a velodyne (VF12 I think) front ported sub, and wondered what material I need to surround the sub in the column to stop any rattling from the low frequencies.

Theres just so much information, myriad of products and wildly varyin costs.

I was thinking of using owens corning sound insulation batting and stuff it in the sub enclosure around the sub, or do I need to think about specialized foam or paint on materials? I think this batting will be fine for all the other speakers, but my main concen is the sub as it's loud.

Thanks!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've seen it done using layers of 2 inch insulation board, maybe OC 703 or similar.. That DIY show did something like this to house the subs inside a cabinet under the screen.. They actually lined the wall behind, and below the sub, sitting the sub ontop of the insulation to decouple from the floor, then filled the entire space around the top and sides. Don't know how acoustically optimum it is, but it's an idea, I suppose.

Since I'm doing a speaker-in-room setup for sound quality purposes, I'll probably build some kind of short isolation table similar to ASC's sub "mount" to get the sub off the floor at least a foot or so.. Servo 15 v.2.. Big sucker.. It'll have to be pretty sturdy for a 115lb sub.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
You need to make sure that the column is built completely solid and tight. That's the only thing that will stop a rattle. Things only rattle when they are loose.

Regards,

Terry

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Montlick /forum/post/0

You need to make sure that the column is built completely solid and tight. That's the only thing that will stop a rattle. Things only rattle when they are loose.

Regards,

Terry

Well, I made a point of using only 3" construction screws for all of this cabinet, coupled by a good dose of liquid nailsat the same time the screws went in, so not sure what else could be done in terms of securing the build!

If I push hard against the column I will get the odd 'crack' - I suppose the MDF flexes a little under pressure hence the sound.

Completed painting last night so I'm about read to wire everything up and give it the 'test'.

Fingers crossed!!!

(I would be reduced to tears if this doesn't work as I've spent 6 months on this project - it was a very large room at over 1000sq ft).

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webwalker /forum/post/0

I had bought some sheets of OC 250 solid foam insulation, not sure if this is ok for this type of application, or I need something softer?

If you mean the pink styrofoam stuff, that is not useful at all for acoustic treatment.

--Ethan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.