AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you guys might know, when you have too many pictures in one gigantic directory, picture viewing with thumbnails become unusably sluggish in pretty much any picture viewing software. I am looking for a small tool which will move these files to new folders that it would create such as:

March-2005

June-2005

July-2005

Aug-2005

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
1) create March2005, June2005, etc. folders using Windows Explorer (select hard drive of choice (C:\\ for example) so it would list the files on C drive on the right hand side, and right click on empty space of the right pane and choose New and then Folder to create new folder (don't forget to type in the March2005, June2005, etc. names as the 'New Folder' is flashing to change the name) so they would show on left hand side of Windows Explorer)

2) Click on your current folder to open it using Windows Explorer, and arrange pictures via dates by clicking on "Date Modified" tab near the top of Windows Explorer's columns

3) Click starting picture and hold down "shift key" while clicking ending picture during the month of March2005, June2005, etc. to highlight and select these photos

4) Left click and drag all these hightlighted files to new folders on the left hand side of Windows Explorer

End result is moving the pictures arranged by dates to new folders created according to date. This is the manual way but is free, easy, and reliable. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uhhhhh... Yes, that's what I want the software to do Huey... not me :)

This would take waaaaay, too long if it's not automated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
How many directories are you talking about? I wouldn't think it would take that long (seat time, maybe not processing time) to copy a month at a time. You don't need to drag each individual file over.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would prefer to find an automated method to do this. There are several directories already and directories within directories. I just want something which will grab them all and organize them in folders with months.

Statix, these pictures are of naked women. hahaha. Actually,they are mainly my personal digital camera pictures which have accumulated over the years.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Though not automated. assuming you have Excel you can create a batch file that will move your files for you.

1) Open a command prompt window and goto the directory your photos are in.

2) At the prompt type : dir * > filelist.txt

(The greater than sign pipes the output of the directory command to the text file.)

3) Fire up Excel and open the text file with it.

4) Choose fixed width, start the import at the first picture file (probably 8), and hit next.

5) Click to split it into four columns.

6) On the first row, in the fifth column (to the right of the data) type: ="move "&D1&" " & YEAR(A1) & "-" & MONTH(A1)&"\\"

7) Copy that cell down to the end of the files. (Ctrl-C to copy the cell. Click on the fourth column. Hit Ctrl-Down Arrow to jump to the last non-empty cell. in that column Move right one column. Hit Ctrl-Shift-Up Arrow to select and jump to the first cell in that column. Hit Ctrl-V to paste into the entire column.)

8) Copy and paste that entire column of move commands into Notepad.

9) Save the file as "Movefiles.bat" in the same location as the files you want to move.

10) Make all the directories you'll need.

11) Firing off that file should then move all your files.

Rather old school but it works. Be sure to test it out a bit before firing it off on the big directory. You might even want to use copy instead of move at first.

You might also want to try something like Picasa2 --- it's a bit more 21st century if that's more your style. . .

·
Registered
78 Posts
If ordering by date (MMYYYY) helps then get Google's Picassa. It scans your entire disk every time that it starts up looking for new pics to add to its caalog and put the pics into month and year folders. You can then reorganize to your hearts content and put pics into any new grouping that you wish. My wife LOVES it because she can find stuff and they have cropping and email (gmail) built right into the product. She can download new pics from her camera, start up Picassa and send pics to Grandma in a matter of minuts. Won't physically move pics into new directories, but you have all the organization that you could want. And if you must put pics into new directores you can do this from the front end also.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I looks like xxcopy will do what you want. I can help (try to) write a batch file using xxcopy, but I will need some information from you to do it. I'll be back on tomorrow to mess with this more; time for bed now. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.