AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I'm not sure this is the right forum on AVS, but searching led me nowhere and this is the forum that I typically live in. If there is another forum that works better - I'm sure it will be moved to the correct place. In the meantime, here's my issue.

Many times I want to do something on my dedicated home theater system that does not require turning on the projector. I'm trying to find a small screen 7 to 9 inches, and preferably LCD to place in my rack so that I can review and or do maintenance without firing up my projector. Can someone point me to where I can find something like this? Everywhere I look I run into small tube monitors that look like stupid little TV's. I want something more professional and looks like a "monitor" and not a TV. Any pointers would be appreciated.

-Ron

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi

I picked up a nice little 7.2 LCD on ebay for about $100 to do something very similar to what you want to do. Do a search over there you should be able to find one.

Tom

·
Registered
776 Posts
You should look into mobile video stuff; the monitors they install in the back of headrests, etc. Parts Express has a number to choose from; I'm sure other suppliers do, too.

·
Banned
8,627 Posts
Another place to check is B&H Photo in NYC. Find your way to the video group and see what they have in their USED inventory. They usually have a nice selection of good quality equipment.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I do this with a slightly larger monitor - an older 14" LCD that I retired from one of my servers. I hooked it up to the second RGBHV output of my Faroudja via the DB15 connector. It's not a 16x9 screen, but it allows previewing of the screen directly from the Faroudja i.e. the same signal as the projector is receiving. The only bad thing is that I can't show HD on it, as I have to passthrough 1080i from the Faroudja and the small LCD just chokes on 1080i :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
I use a 6inch LCD in my cabinet for viewing amp setup onscreen menus plus the amp (Integra 8.3) has Net-Tune which allows you to see a play-list of songs that can be streamed thu' the amp from a PC. Most of the smaller LCD monitors are half NTSC resolution so don't expect fantastic pictures. Most of the onscreen text looks pretty good. The unit I bought while in Singapore for about $120US also has a tuner built-in so I can have my PJ playing one TV channel while another plays on the LCD - sort of like Picture - in - Picture.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/awoodhe...34%20x_std.jpg

Note the tops off my cabinet while I took this pic.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/awoodhe...50%20x_std.jpg

Closer view

http://www.users.bigpond.com/awoodhe...30%20x_std.jpg

Tony

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by blee1
Rondo1

If I may ask... which small monitor did you end up with? I'm in the market for the same need.

Thanks!

Bill
Bill I ended up purchasing the Innovatek 7" LCD monitor - originally designed to go in back of a car headrest. The seller is mp3playerstore.com and he also has a website/brick-mortar up in Montreal CA. I found that this application works and cost less when you don't attach "Home Theater" to the name. ;) It came with an AC adapter and a DC adapter. Accepts regular RCA composite, but I bought an SVideo adapter to connect to my preamp. Works great! Without giving the price I did a "buy it now" for less than one hundred sixty bucks. A lot less than what these "home theater" shops are selling these for. I plan to build my own rack front to put the monitor in. It also came with snapped into a nice cowling - as it is assumed that you will be installing into a headrest. I am not, but the cowling will be great for a finish look once I create the faceplate for my rack system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.