AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
few quick question: i just bought a Gateway DX4200-09 Desktop PC and an HP Media Server EX485

1. i have my entire dvd collection ripped as .iso on external seagate drives; i would like a software (PC) that will play them and categorize them and make a nice directory/menu with them with covers and movie info etx WITHOUT having to re rip them again???

(i plan on attaching the external hard drives to the media server and using the gateway as a front end HTPC)

(i need a software program that will categorize and display my iso movies on the gateway which will be streamed from the media server)

2. any other software i should be looking at for my first HTPC

( i rip using anydvd, i like using ISO because it seems "clean" and outputs a single file.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Media Browser for collection category - it's a plug in for Windows Media Center actually. Must use virtual clone drive with it to play the iso. also use Salami movie organizer. this will get metadata from internet to help with category stuff. Check the Free killer apps in the sticky section above for more.

Or try Xplor with VLC media player. Xplor is a software a guy here on the forums made. Check his posts probably a few down from here.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD233 /forum/post/17002031

Media Browser for collection category - it's a plug in for Windows Media Center actually. Must use virtual clone drive with it to play the iso. also use Salami movie organizer. this will get metadata from internet to help with category stuff. Check the Free killer apps in the sticky section above for more.

Or try Xplor with VLC media player. Xplor is a software a guy here on the forums made. Check his posts probably a few down from here.

thank you for the quick reply!!! so just to confirm, everything you mentioned such as the oraganizing and metadata can be done off an .iso????

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by playsccr /forum/post/17002164

thank you for the quick reply!!! so just to confirm, everything you mentioned such as the oraganizing and metadata can be done off an .iso????

yes, the software will use the folder name or iso name to gather the data. it won't do anything with the actual dvd files.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I had issues with .iso files. They wil play but its annoying to me. You have to mount them each time with daemon tools which means another step and more softare and more time while it mounts them. I used winrar and extracted each into its own folder and deleted the isos. MUCH easier and works with no issues and no delay playing the file.

software is dependent on which OS you use. win 7 might be a bit different than what is working with vista.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I dont know what they are internally. If they are simply internal drives in an external enclosure and the same controller type as your server I wouldnt think there would be an issue. I would google it though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
revised question to add additional info. THANKS!!

im looking for a one software solution if possible for playing/displaying/categorizing the ISO collection....if i have to pay i will, but would rather not....really want it to be simple to use ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.