AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4x4 matrix switch that I use to distribute AV throughout the house. The theater room has a receiver capable of decoding HD bitstreams, however the living room and bedrooms only have TVs (no receivers).

This means that even with the switch's EDID set to accept multichannel surround audio, the TVs cannot properly decode it so the dialog (center channel) is not output from the TVs. I need a type of device that can accept a HD multichannel bitstream, such as DTS HD, Dolby Digital HD, and LPCM, and down mix/convert it to stereo still over the HDMI out line.

My blu-ray player is an Oppo BDP-103.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
I have a 4x4 matrix switch that I use to distribute AV throughout the house. The theater room has a receiver capable of decoding HD bitstreams, however the living room and bedrooms only have TVs (no receivers).

This means that even with the switch's EDID set to accept multichannel surround audio, the TVs cannot properly decode it so the dialog (center channel) is not output from the TVs. I need a type of device that can accept a HD multichannel bitstream, such as DTS HD, Dolby Digital HD, and LPCM, and down mix/convert it to stereo still over the HDMI out line.
There may be a re-encoder device, but the better, more reliable and perhaps even economical answer is to upgrade those displays or add an inexpensive HDMI-capable soundbar to each...

I hate spending money on downconverters / adapters /etc. that work around "old gear" issues. Especially when upgrading an old display has a lot of other benefits (bigger, better, etc.).

(so glad I stuck with component video distribution as it bypasses all the HDMI issues!)

Jeff

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
This does 7.1 LPCM, but for this price you chould probably get an entry-level AVR from BestBuy.
https://www.minidsp.com/products/ht-series/nanoavr-hda

I don't know of any cheaper solutions that decode HD audio.
Pretty much all of the newer 2016 OLED and LED TV's can decode HD audio I believe, you'd have to look at the specs of each one to confirm though.

·
Registered
15,943 Posts
Hopefully the two HDMI outs on the Oppo are independent and one can do surround around [j/k] while the other does stereo. Surround goes to the receiver in that room and the stereo one goes to the house distribution system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts