AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We installed an Infocus LP790 into the Great Room of one of our clients. His great room has windows three stories high so this is the reason for the 3300 lumen business projector in a home. This is our first install for the 790. We've always installed the screenplay series projectors.

We have it projecting on a 10 ft diag. da-lite screen above his fireplace.

The issue's I'm having with this projector are the DVD player and HD cable box from Time Warner. The DVD player is a Mitsubishi Prog. scan DD-8030 and the cable box is a new High Def cable box made by Scientific Atlanta. The DVD player puts out a 480i or 480p signal. Talking with Time Warner cable, the informed me that they send a 1080i signal for their HD channels. Both the cable box and DVD player have component R,G,B outputs. I have both of these plugging into a Harman/Kardon AVR525 which is doing the video switching. According to them, whatever signal that input on the back of the receiver is getting, it sends through the component monitor out.

So, my problem is getting both of these to show on the projector. Regular analog cable works through a yellow composite hookup and the DVD player works through the S-video wire. The composite for the cable is good but the Svideo for the DVD is not.

On this projector, there is no standard RGB component input. There is a RGBHV BNC connection, svideo, composite, DVI, and two computer VGA inputs. Infocus informed me the only input on this projector that will accept a high def signal is the 15-pin VGA computer 2 port. This VGA port accepts 1080i and 720p. Not 480 for the DVD player. They told me I needed a transcoder. No problem....

Well, looking at the Key digital transcoder, it looks like a good solution. But, it only passes through the signal it receives. The HD cable feed will most likely work but what about the DVD player.

Do I need a video scaler? Is there a product out there that will act as a transcoder from component to VGA that also acts as a video scaler? I've been researching this a bunch the past few days and can't seem to find a difinitive answer. Whatever product I purchase I want to work on the first try. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx and sorry for the long post.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.