AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am starting to plan out my home theater in my basement. Just some small details on myself/living space first:

-Not an audiophile...very new to this, first time home buyer.

-Not a big bass/BOOM kind of guy, I enjoy this during movies and whatnot, but I'm not going to be having parties and booming music or rocking out hard core to heavy metal.

-Budget of about $300-$700

-Viewing area is about 12'x12', the actual room itself is about 33'x24'

-Primary use is for gaming (PS4) and watching movies/sports. Limited music listening.

So I have a Yamaha RX-V575. Right now I am just looking to setup 5.1 for my home theater and possibly adding a b zone in my workout area later. I only have the receiver at this point, nothing else.

From everything I've read so far it is sounding like the Energy 5.1 Take Classics may fit the best in my scenario. But I wanted to reach out to you experts just to confirm I'm not making a mistake there and see if there are better options out there for me.

Like I said, I don't know much about this, so that is all the details I have for now. Let me know if I can answer any questions to get the best advice on this.

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
The Energy is pretty small for a space that size.

Some Pioneer speakers and a Dayton sub or two would be a better strategy.

Also, a couple of Primus P363 tower speakers and a Dayton sub or two to start could be a good strategy.

Then complete this system as time and money allows.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Go larger than the tiny satellite speakers if possible. Take a look at Cambridge speakers on accessories4less. 4 bookshelf and the center would be about $595 shipped. Or HTD Level 2 bookshelves and center for about $530 shipped. Two good places to start. Then for a sub look at Dayton 1200, BIC F12, or NXG BAS-500.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great, thanks for the suggestions. After doing a little reading the HTD Level 2s sound like a good fit (just have to measure where I'd mount the rears to make sure it would fit where I want to put them). All depends on what the wife says though since adding in a sub for about $110-150 would put me at the exact top of my budget. In your opinions, is this the lowest quality I should go down to in this instance? The listening/viewing area is 12'x12' and the rest of the room will be my kids play area so we won't be listening intently in that area at least for another 5-6 years.

Thanks again, very helpful

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley916  /t/1522953/need-some-advice-5-1-speaker-set#post_24493942

Great, thanks for the suggestions. After doing a little reading the HTD Level 2s sound like a good fit (just have to measure where I'd mount the rears to make sure it would fit where I want to put them). All depends on what the wife says though since adding in a sub for about $110-150 would put me at the exact top of my budget. In your opinions, is this the lowest quality I should go down to in this instance? The listening/viewing area is 12'x12' and the rest of the room will be my kids play area so we won't be listening intently in that area at least for another 5-6 years.

Thanks again, very helpful
I would spend less money on speakers to allow more of a budget for your Subwoofer.

- Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers for front and rear, ($127/pair)

- Pioneer SP-C22 Center speaker , ($100)

As for a subwoofer I would suggest the
Bic F12
Dayton Sub-1500

Bass audio waves will expanded outside your listening area so when planning a subwoofer you need to get a subwoofer that can handle the full size of your room that your listening area is opening up to

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1522953/need-some-advice-5-1-speaker-set#post_24494297

I would spend less money on speakers to allow more of a budget for your Subwoofer.

- Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers for front and rear, ($127/pair)

- Pioneer SP-C22 Center speaker , ($100)

As for a subwoofer I would suggest the
Bic F12
Dayton Sub-1500

Bass audio waves will expanded outside your listening area so when planning a subwoofer you need to get a subwoofer that can handle the full size of your room that your listening area is opening up to

+1

This would be a great setup for the money

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Let me know if I am overcomplicating this or overthinking it, but I know I've run into it in the past where the sound effects and everything else can end up being so loud that it actually overpowers the dialogue of movies so much so you can hardly hear what they are saying. Being that movies will be the primary interest here...id like to be sure it is balanced enough so I can actually hear what is being said. With that said, my wife is deaf in her right ear so she has to listen a bit more intently to hear the voices. So with this, would you still recommend I go cheaper on the speakers and spend more on a subwoofer? I'm a beginner at this stuff keep in mind so I'm sure the subwoofer has a much more important role than just bass and whatnot...but given my situation and my limited experience, I would think I would want to invest more in the speakers.

I appreciate your help and definitely feel free to correct me if I am way off here.

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually just stopped out at Best buy to listen to some quick (don't have audio places nearby). They had the Pioneer SP-BS22s there. But they also had the Klipsch KB-15s which I thought sounded a lot better for only $20 more per pair. What are your thoughts on those Klipsch speakers? Can my receiver even handle them (Yamaha 575)

Another quick question-is it a bad idea to get 3 of the same for the front speakers and then get smaller speakers for the rears? Just throwing this out there as I'm not sure if the Pioneers or Klipsch will fit in the corners if my back wall very well. I'll be doing some measuring tonight.

Thanks for the help. I trust you guys a lot more than Best Buy employees haha

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Klipsch vs pioneer !? All depends on what you like! I am not a huge fan of either, but both offer good bang for the buck options!

And yes, three identical speakers across the front is not only good, but the ideal set up! Horizontal centers are usually a sq compromise and yes, smaller surround speakers can work, as they will not have to handle the same dynamic content as your fronts!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. 3 front Klipsch would cost $450. HYD level 2s would cost $80 more. Would you consider the HTDs higher quality and worth $80 more than the Kb-15s? They are 100$ off right now ($150/pair)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Also the Klipsch's are known for being love-it-hate-it bright, which is more likely to sound better in store. You may get tired of it and your room will affect the sound a lot. You should really listen to these speakers at home.

I would recommend buying and returning. I'd vote HTD of those three, but only because I have heard the Level Three line and really liked it. They also have a good trial policy. Also not sure I've heard that specific Klipsch model, but in general they are not my preference.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley916  /t/1522953/need-some-advice-5-1-speaker-set#post_24500164

I actually just stopped out at Best buy to listen to some quick (don't have audio places nearby). They had the Pioneer SP-BS22s there. But they also had the Klipsch KB-15s which I thought sounded a lot better for only $20 more per pair. What are your thoughts on those Klipsch speakers? Can my receiver even handle them (Yamaha 575)

Another quick question-is it a bad idea to get 3 of the same for the front speakers and then get smaller speakers for the rears? Just throwing this out there as I'm not sure if the Pioneers or Klipsch will fit in the corners if my back wall very well. I'll be doing some measuring tonight.

Thanks for the help. I trust you guys a lot more than Best Buy employees haha
If you like the sound of Klipsch over the Pioneer, Go for it. They are decent speakers. I am not a fan of Klipsch sounds, too headache inducing to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley916  /t/1522953/need-some-advice-5-1-speaker-set#post_24500266

Thanks. 3 front Klipsch would cost $450. HYD level 2s would cost $80 more. Would you consider the HTDs higher quality and worth $80 more than the Kb-15s? They are 100$ off right now ($150/pair)
I would take the HTD Level 2's over the Klipsch speakers you were looking at. PLUS the HTD speakers give you a risk free in home trial so you can try out the speakers in your room and see if you like them. Can't really do that with the Klipsch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts