AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some advice in choosing a 3.1 HT / Music (60%/40%). My main priority is clarity in dialogue and I'm not sure which of the speaker selections, I've chosen, might have an edge. I can either do bookshelf or towers, in my budget of course. However, I'm not interested in buying stands, but would choose the towers instead. If choosing bookshelf speakers, they would have to set on the media console's front edge which is 21" from the back wall. Which means the back of the bookshelf speakers would be approximately 9" to 10" from the wall. Not sure how this would effect the speakers. If I choose the towers, I can get them around 24" from the back wall. Bookshelf's would be about 8' apart and towers about 9' apart. Viewing distance is about 11' to 12' in a large room. I don't plan on buying a sub for about 9 months. Budget for L/C/R is under $900.

Option 1) Arx: 2- A3rx-c & 1- A2rx-c (about $770.00 + shipping)

Option 2) Arx: 3- A2rx-c (about $690 + shipping)

Option 3) Ascend Acoustics: 2-CMT 340 SE Main & 1-CMT 340 SE Center (about $870.00 + shipping)

Is the sound quality in the above options noticeable, for the extra dollars, over something like:

Ascend CBM 170's ($648), Focal 705V ($710), HTD 3 ($500) and many other options available.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
7,790 Posts
Honestly, these are all excellent options. However, I would possibly defer to the CMT-340SEs since you need to fill a large room and these will offer superior output. If you can audition in-home I would recommend it. Generally, most of these ID companies allow a 30-day trial period.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan  /t/1520074/need-some-advice-on-a-3-1-set-up-with-bookshelf-or-towers#post_24415119

Honestly, these are all excellent options. However, I would possibly defer to the CMT-340SEs since you need to fill a large room and these will offer superior output. If you can audition in-home I would recommend it. Generally, most of these ID companies allow a 30-day trial period.

and you would have no problem setting the CMT-340's on the media console just 10" from back wall?

·
Premium Member
7,790 Posts
10" is plenty of space behind. Just make sure the speakers are pulled right to the front of the console to reduce reflections. On the other hand, if you're sitting 12' back could you not pull the console forward just a bit (like a foot or so). I know you said you didn't want stands but there is a pair of B-stock pedestal stands (24") available right now at Ascend Acoustics for $120. Combined with the CMT-340SEs it gives the feel of having towers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan  /t/1520074/need-some-advice-on-a-3-1-arx-or-ascend-set-up-with-bookshelf-or-towers#post_24419201

10" is plenty of space behind. Just make sure the speakers are pulled right to the front of the console to reduce reflections. On the other hand, if you're sitting 12' back could you not pull the console forward just a bit (like a foot or so). I know you said you didn't want stands but there is a pair of B-stock pedestal stands (24") available right now at Ascend Acoustics for $120. Combined with the CMT-340SEs it gives the feel of having towers.
No, the console cant be pulled forward anymore because of a couch at right angles to it. Just won't happen. So if I was to buy the stands ($120) and add them to the cost of the CMT 340's, I would be up to $990. The Arx towers are $770. I'm missing the point unless the CMT 340's are that much better than the Arx A3's.

·
Premium Member
7,790 Posts
You're absolutely not missing the point. I should have read your opening post a bit more thoroughly instead of focusing on book shelf speakers. Putting book shelf speakers on a console is a compromise where the best solution would be stand placement. So, yes in your listening space towers might make more sense and the Arx A3s are great speakers (and it would save you quite a bit of money).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan  /t/1520074/need-some-advice-on-a-3-1-arx-or-ascend-set-up-with-bookshelf-or-towers#post_24419406

You're absolutely not missing the point. I should have read your opening post a bit more thoroughly instead of focusing on book shelf speakers. Putting book shelf speakers on a console is a compromise where the best solution would be stand placement. So, yes in your listening space towers might make more sense and the Arx A3s are great speakers (and it would save you quite a bit of money).
Thanks for your reply. The Arx speakers was the way I was leaning, but just wanted some input on their clarity compared to the others.

·
Registered
476 Posts
You won't regret the ARX route. They recently put the 3rd generation of tweeter into the A3rx-C which brings it closer to being comparable to the A5 beast.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiforce  /t/1520074/need-some-advice-on-a-3-1-arx-or-ascend-set-up-with-bookshelf-or-towers#post_24427239

You won't regret the ARX route. They recently put the 3rd generation of tweeter into the A3rx-C which brings it closer to being comparable to the A5 beast.

Also was curious about the difference between the 2-A3's & 1-A2 and the 3-A2's. For the extra $80 it seems they are just built into a tower. The specs of the two speakers seem the same. Anyone know if there will be any audible difference?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts