AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about buying an external amp to run my 5.1 setup on my HK AVR520 because it sometimes feels that my system is lacking a little bit (which could also be room dynamics and can't really change the space around to accommodate the speakers/system).

The 520 puts out 75 watts/channel when 5.1 but I don't really get the big effect from big movies and such that I'm looking for (especially rear channels). I have an older (circa 2001) klipsch reference setup where most of the speaker components say they can take about 130-150 max continuous watts. Should I look at getting an external power amp for my setup to really wake things up or should I be looking at maybe a newer receiver with more high-current watts? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does the receiver say it is 75w with all channles driven or with two driven. I have an onkyo 806 rated at 130w, but that is with only 2 channels driven. With all channels driven it is lower. That is more than likely what is going on with your receiver. I would recommend an amp to try. Emotiva has pretty good amps for great prices. In fact I just added a UPA-5 to my system. It is rated at 125w per channel all channels driven. It has improved my system. Also they have a great return policy if you dont like it. You may want to look at a 200w per channel amp.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The receiver states that it puts out 85 watts/channel in stereo and 75 watts/channel in 5.1 (actual could be close to this claim because I have heard that HK wattage numbers are usually on the lower end of the receiver's capabilities). Anyways, I wanted to go with something that could really push my system. I do need to upgrade my receiver as well (8 year old receiver technology) but will a mid-to-higher end ($1000-1200) onkyo/denon/Yamaha/pioneer-elite receiver really deliver the kind of wattage I may get from an add-on amp like the Emotiva you were talking about or an Adcom or other lower-mid priced 5 channel amp?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by live4this247 /forum/post/18295947

Does the receiver say it is 75w with all channles driven or with two driven.

HK always rates honestly so if they say 75wpc, you're getting at least that and often times more. It's a shame other manufacturers don't follow suit.

To gain any real power over the HK, you'll need to go to at least 150wpc as it takes double the power to gain 3db. Something you could try is adding a 3-channel amp for the front speakers and let the receiver power the rears. Emotiva has a great 3-channel model. Another thing you could try is using a pro amp like Behringer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli /forum/post/18298549

HK always rates honestly so if they say 75wpc, you're getting at least that and often times more. It's a shame other manufacturers don't follow suit.

To gain any real power over the HK, you'll need to go to at least 150wpc as it takes double the power to gain 3db. Something you could try is adding a 3-channel amp for the front speakers and let the receiver power the rears. Emotiva has a great 3-channel model. Another thing you could try is using a pro amp like Behringer.

That sounds like a good idea....there shouldn't be a problem putting 150-175 into speakers that say 120-130 max...right? I think most of the klipsch reference speakers I am using have low 90's efficiency rating. What do you think regarding the wattage?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts