AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

First off let me say what I have. I have an Onkyo RC-160 receiver, Energy RC-10 mains (bi-amped before today...), RC-mini center, and Take Classic surrounds.

My father recently bought RC-mini speakers, which i thought were to replace the Take Classics. He actually bought these to put on top of the RC-10s... He is planning to connect the RC-Minis to the Surround Back slots. I previously had the RC-10 bi-amped using the Main L/R and the Surround Back L/R.

Obviously he has music only in his mind - he wants to play it on the "all stero" setting. I'd have to disable the RC-minis when watching a movie.

Wouldn't the RC-10's bi-amped sound better than what he wants to do? Seems like such a waste. I would rather have them as surrounds... or maybe even Front Highs, but I dont really feel like installing Front Highs.

The Front High ports on the rc-160 receiver are the spring clamp kinda, while the others... you screw it to tighten. Any difference in quality? Also, is there a reason they did that?

Thank you for your time,

Rich

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin057 /forum/post/18230666

Wouldn't the RC-10's bi-amped sound better than what he wants to do?

Bi-amping passive crossover speakers is a complete waste of time and money. They won't sound any different in a non-bi-amped mode.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Any advice on the other parts of my post?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm, anyone?

·
Registered
12,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin057 /forum/post/18230666

Obviously he has music only in his mind - he wants to play it on the "all stero" setting.

It's not really obvious, but I take your word for it.

All Stereo mode works best with matched speakers in the 4 corners. Playing the same sound from two sets of speakers stacked atop one another won't be a good idea, as it will color the sound due to comb filtering of the two sets of arrivals being off fractions of an inch.

My recommendation for y'alls consideration would be the RC-10s for L/R all alone. The RC Minis for Ls/Rs at the traditional sides/rear of the room.

It would be ideal to have either another RC-10 or Mini for the center speaker, but if not, I guess you already have a Take Classic for that? Plug it in.

Try the All Stereo mode. The C speaker will be on, but at a reduced level that ought not bother your father. But also try PLII Music mode with the Center Width control set to full wide (phantom center) position. This will kill the center speaker and extract some nice spatial effects from the surrounds. He might like that better. Kinda depends if he is seated in the sweet spot or not.

Movie modes will use the center and the others nicely for you. No need to fiddle with speaker settings each time.

Quote:
The Front High ports on the rc-160 receiver are the spring clamp kinda, while the others... you screw it to tighten. Any difference in quality? Also, is there a reason they did that?

It saves money and space. They work fine. May be a moot point since you may not be using them anyway.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Roger,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

To clear a couple things up, I do have a RC mini center. My surrounds are currently Take Classics.

He says he gets a fuller sound by stacking the RC minis on top of the RC 10s. I told him that he should've bought floorstanding speakers if he wanted a fuller sound.

What exactly do you mean by "it will color the sound"? I really want to use these RC Minis to their potential as L/R Surrounds, and let the RC 10's do their work as mains... but alas, I have to deal with his stubbornness.

Thanks again!

Rich

·
Registered
12,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin057 /forum/post/18267113

To clear a couple things up, I do have a RC mini center.

That's good!

Quote:
He says he gets a fuller sound by stacking the RC minis on top of the RC 10s. I told him that he should've bought floorstanding speakers if he wanted a fuller sound.

What exactly do you mean by "it will color the sound"?

What I call color, he may be calling "fuller." Of course by having the extra pair atop the mains, then switching them on/off, the natural first reaction will be it sounds better better when switched on because it is playing louder by several dB. He's right about that--louder sounds better

But what would be a more valid comparison would be playing the mains alone several dB louder so that you are hearing the tonal qualities without the volume difference getting in the way. When two sets of speakers are placed close together, on top of each other, the signals converge with slight phase differences, and it causes undesirable constructive and destructive interference patterns that cause roughness to the frequency responses. Believe me, if adding an extra pair was an easy way to improve sound, lots of people would be doing it! But we almost never see anyone doing that--it just doesn't help, and can only hurt.

Quote:
I really want to use these RC Minis to their potential as L/R Surrounds, and let the RC 10's do their work as mains... but alas, I have to deal with his stubbornness.

I'm with you. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts