AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just saw that Benq is running a nice deal on refurb MP525Ps for $299 and I was wondering if it might be a cheap upgrade to my old Mitsubishi HC1500 that has served me so well. The first thing I noticed is that the Benq is SIGNIFICANTLY brighter (according to the specs) than the HC1500 (2500 ANSI vs. 1600) but the native resolution is a little lower at 1024x768 and native 4:3 instead of 16:9. I'm not sure if any of this really matters. I use it for video games and HD movies and TV...so would I be happy going with the Benq over my Mitsubishi or should I wait for a good deal on a 1080p?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Actually the MP525P is a educational/business projector. Yes it will be bright, but it won't be displaying video quality as well as a HT projector; mainly because that's not what it was originally designed to do.

If you want a HT projector you should get a HT projector. If you want you should wait until after CEDIA to see what will get released or you can always wait because there may be some price dumps. New models will roll out and older models will get price slashes. It's a nice way to get a steal deal on your next projector.

If you're interested in the BenQ, you should check out the W1100 which is their 1080p entry level projector. It's got 2000 lumen, which is actually quite bright for a HT projector. PC calculated the actual lumens to be 1459. As most on the box lumens are a bit inflated through different ways of calculation. The picture quality on the W1100 has been consistently considered superb. It is also considered one of the sharpest 1080p entry level projectors. Contrast levels and colors are great as well. It also has a 4x color wheel which will help if you or have other viewers that are a bit sensitive to RBE. There are onboard speakers that are decently powered if you ever feel the need make your projector portable. It also has great zoom. The one thing that this projector doesn't have and most entry level HT DLPs don't have is lens shift. However this will only be an issue if you have placement issues with your set up.

What is your set up and room dimensions going to be like?

Read more on the below W1100 thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=w1100

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now I'm shooting about a 12ft image onto a wall about 17ft away (I'm not around to measure it at the moment). I've got the projector set on a shelf behind my sofa about 5 feet up the wall. Ceiling mount isn't possible in this room as a light fixture is in the way.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That puppy is out of my price range as well. I'm basically looking for a bang-for-the-buck champ that will be a noticeable upgrade over my HC1500. This probably means I'll have to stay with 720p for now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.