AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help with a new subwoofer choice. I currently have 2 polk psw10. They have been good, but not great. I have recently been in the process of upgrading all my speakers and am ready to get rid of the polks.

I would like to replace them with new dual subs, but I am not stuck on dual again.

Here is what I already have:

Samsung LN46A950 TV

Denon 3808ci

Series 3 Tivo

PS3

Mac Mini (running plex as media center)

FR: DefTech Mythos One

C: DefTech Mythos Nine

Rear & Sides: Polk RM101 (Soon to be replaced)

Subs (2) polk psw10

Budget: Let me start by saying I have $500 in gift cards from Amazon that i was planning on using towards this purchase. I know that this limits me on which brands I can get, but since that is where the money is, that is a strong factor for me. I am willing to kick in up to $750 more but would rather be at $500 or less. So tax and shipping aren't a huge deal, especially if I can use amazon prime (boy I love the $3.99 overnight shipping option - although it can really spoil you.)

Size requirement: I don't have the room for anything huge. Going with a 12 inch might be has big as I can go. This is part of the reason I think that getting two 10 inch subs might be a better choice then one 12 inch sub.

Room: Our family room is 20ft x 15ft, with 8ft ceilings. The back of the room connects the kitchen - very open floor plan. The front of the room has a fireplace in the center with a the tv in the corner (so the FP faces the kitchen). Hopefully, this is enough, if not, I can take a few pictures.

Primary uses: 70% TV & Movies, 20% Games, 10% Music

Listening habits: Our family room is right below the Master Bedroom. I have 3 kids (6, 3, & 1). Usually I watch movies after they go to bed. I like to really fee the sub, but it can't wake the kids... yeah, those two things can really conflict. I suppose i want the ability to crank it up from time to time but not so much that things fall off the walls.

Appearance: black is ok, although something that looked nice would be better. But black is not a deal breaker.

Timeframe: I am looking to get something within the next few days. I would like to have it within a week or so.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i accidently submitted without adding this:

I am not sure which would be better- a ported or non ported sub. Also, we have bamboo hardwood floors, not sure if that matters. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Since you are restricting your choices to something available on Amazon, it would be easier if you do some research on whats available, choose a few that look promising, then come back with your list.

As size goes, a 12" sealed is smaller than a 10" ported.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fair enough. here are some dual sub choices that I was looking at (in no particular order):

Velodyne DEQ-12R

DefTech Supercube III

SpeakerCraft BassX 10

MartinLogan DYNBLD Dynamo 10-Inch (even thought these are out of stock)

Energy ESW-V10 Subwoofer

Klipsch Synergy SUB-12

I am leaning toward the velodyne. I have read so may suggestions and keep hearing HSU and SVS. Would i be doing myself a disservice with the ones above vs HSU or SVS?

I guess my follow up question was if $750 was my total budget and i didn't have to buy on amazon, would i get a better solution getting a single subwoofer somewhere else rather then 2 of the ones listed above?

Again, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
This is just my personal opinion. Some will agree and some won't.

I cannot address any of the subs in your list specifically except for the SCIII. I found the low end Velos and Klipsch subs to be bad. They both make good higher end subs, but their low end models aren't so good. They are for people that want to add thump to thier music or boom to thier movies. I want to be clear that I am not necessarily speaking of these specific models.

I was very underwhelmed by the SC product line for lack of output. It might be fine for your requirements.

I haven't heard an ML sub, but they get decent reviews. Most are talking about the Decent, not the Dynamo. As with the SC, this might work well for you.

I forget the make, but Energy used to make a well received sub, also called the SUB12. Seems to be a popular name for 12" subs. This didn't carry the Energy logo, but it was made by them. Someone will remember the make. Since that sub, Energy hasn't gotten much play around here. I just remembered it was the Mirage SUB12.

I don't know anything about Speaker Craft.

Now, SVS, HSU, eD, Epik and some others make some very good performers. In fact, The AV123 MFW may be worth a look as it appears they have solve the amp issues. Most of these are large, ported boxes. But large is a relative term. With a little research, you should be able to find a form and size to suit you. My opinion, most of these will be better than what's in your list, but you won't be able to use your Amazon card. You can always find something to use A bucks to buy.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcxiiad /forum/post/17054224

thanks for the input. If i was going to go with svs, hsu, eD or epik, which one would work best for my setup?

That is really impossible to answer since all those companies make terrific subs. eD and Epik tend to get you the best bang-for-the-buck while SVS and Hsu still give you good value, but offer more choices on finishes and other features such as variable tuning and extra controls on the amps.

Based on your room description and primary usage, I'd suggest going for one of the larger ported choices.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help thus far. I took a look at those other subs (svs, hsu, eD & epik)

It looks like to get an the least expensive epik sub, it is going to be $50 more then my budget, before shipping. So, I think I'll just cross those off my list.

so after looking at the other three, i have narrowed things down:

HSU VTF-2 MK 3

HSU VTF-3 MK 3

eD A3 - 300

SVS PB12-NSD

The upside to the HSU, is I think my wife would like the nicer finish on those. But I am not going to tell her about that until i decided which one to get. Again, any additional information would be very helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcxiiad /forum/post/17055328

Thanks for the help thus far. I took a look at those other subs (svs, hsu, eD & epik)

It looks like to get an the least expensive epik sub, it is going to be $50 more then my budget, before shipping. So, I think I'll just cross those off my list.

so after looking at the other three, i have narrowed things down:

HSU VTF-2 MK 3

HSU VTF-3 MK 3

eD A3 - 300

SVS PB12-NSD

The upside to the HSU, is I think my wife would like the nicer finish on those. But I am not going to tell her about that until i decided which one to get. Again, any additional information would be very helpful. Thanks

You didn't look at the Epik Vanquish. This is a good sealed sub that has the smaller footprint than any of the others on your list. This does deserve some consideration.

The HSU VTF3.3 in a premium finish is over our budget. But the flat black would work.

Just me, but I just don't care for the looks of the eD subs. Especially those with a port up front on the driver on the bottom. I have nothing against front ports or down firing drivers. I just don't like the looks of the naked front port with no driver.

I don't know what SVS means with the S&V loved it and so will you. Now just $569 while supplies last. It's the 'while supplies last' that is confusing. I believe SVS is about to revamp their whole sub line with new sealed subs and what I suspect is a downgrade of the drivers. What I mean by that is the NSD will be discontinued, the Plus will take its place, the Ultra will come down to the Plus line and a new driver will become the Ultra. Just some speculation based on little clues and innuendo.

Any of these subs will give very good performance. The bigger amp/driver combos will give you more overhead and really give you a smile when you don't have to worry about waking the kids.

I don't usually do this because recommending subs is a losing proposition on these forums. If I were looking to buy right now and I used your list,es and throw in the Vanquish, it would rank them like this:

1) VTF3.3 (because I've always wanted to try an HSU sub)

2) PB12-NSD (I only put this second because I already own an SVS and I want to try something else next time. Otherwise, I would put this at least tied with the 3.3)

3) Vanquish (I am very tempted to push this one to the top)

4) A3-300 (this low due to aesthetics)

5) VTF2.3 (may be OK for you, but not for me)

Anything in your original list would be at 6 or lower if I combined both lists. I might put the ML Dynamo ahead of the VTF2.3.

Ask others and they would put this list in a completely different order.

What's special about 1912?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ransac

I really appreciate the time you have invested to help me make this decision. While I know i can save quite a bit of money going with a factory direct subwoofer manufacturer, it is harder to audition them without paying a small fortune shipping them back and forth. So some advice on where to start is very helpful.

I think I am leaning to the HSU 3.3. I am sure that it will be great. Shoot, coming from the polks, my guess is anything on either list would be a huge improvement.

mmcxii = 2112 (which is a Song & Album by Rush)

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
My bad. 1912 would be MCMXII.

You really can only go by the opinions of those that have already purchased these subs. Scan through the "Official support" threads for each of these or search on the model number. You will read of very few problems and many satisfied owners. You will find few or no criticisms of any of these subs. I made my choice by reading opinions and experiences on this forum after being disappointed when I shopped around at local stores. So you should choose by what fits your budget , space limits, and listening habits, as well as manufacturer's reputation. SVS and HSU have longer histories then Epik or eD, but they all have good customer service and reputable products. You have to gamble on your gut instincts, but all these are worth the time and money. Which ever one you go with, I am positive you will be more than satisfied. The last deciding point will be what won't get you kicked out of the house.

I hope this was PC enough of an answer.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i guess one question i forgot to ask, with the room size and layout that i have, do i need a ported sub or can i get a enclosed? I ask this becouse ransac mentioned the vanquish, which is not ported.

please excuse my lack of knowledge, but in my situation, I was assuming that the ported would be better. is this not the case?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcxiiad /forum/post/17049474

fair enough. here are some dual sub choices that I was looking at (in no particular order):

Velodyne DEQ-12R

DefTech Supercube III

SpeakerCraft BassX 10

MartinLogan DYNBLD Dynamo 10-Inch (even thought these are out of stock)

Energy ESW-V10 Subwoofer

Klipsch Synergy SUB-12

I am leaning toward the velodyne. I have read so may suggestions and keep hearing HSU and SVS. Would i be doing myself a disservice with the ones above vs HSU or SVS?

I guess my follow up question was if $750 was my total budget and i didn't have to buy on amazon, would i get a better solution getting a single subwoofer somewhere else rather then 2 of the ones listed above?

Again, thanks in advance.

The SuperCube! The SuperCube I if you can handle that!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Since Amazon is where you want to spend I will suggest the Martin Logan Abyss. Its $750 shipped and its a wonderful sub. It doesn't get as low as a lot of ID brands, but the sound quality is superb and it has a small footprint. I demoed it at Best Buy after originally going there to hear the SuperCube III. The SuperCube gets low...maybe not like the specs say, but Def Tech doesn't tell you that the output is extremely low either. Its relatively flat but again the output is low. I was extremely unimpressed. On a bright note the sound is pretty clean. For such a small box its decent but way overpriced.

Anyway, the sales rep told me from the jump that I needed to hear the Dynamo and when he played it I was amazed. It totally destroyed the SuperCube in every single way. Its not rated low, but it does respond to lower signals without distortion. The output on the low end just isn't particularly strong, but for the speed and sound quality its awesome. The output on the low end was still much better than the supposedly 16Hz SuperCube III.

Then the rep took me into the other room to demo the Abyss, and let me say its mind blowing. It just sounds terrific. Its like a Dynamo on steroids. On the low end it can't compete with SVS or eD, but it will still get you down to about 20Hz. I almost ordered one of these guys myself, but I got a Sunfire HRS-12 for $100 less so I went that route. I'm sure others will agree the Abyss is an excellent sub that will not disappoint especially for music.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for everyone's advice and help. After a lot of reading and advice, I ended up deciding on one of SVS's cylinder subs. This was largely based on the idea that the sub could go behind the TV in the corner. Also, my wife really liked the idea of not seing the sub at all. With the way our room is layed out and wear all the stuff is in the corned, the subwoofer becomes invisible. The more I thought about this, the more i really liked the idea of a hidden sub. While it is cool to show off your gear, it is also cool to have it in stealth ninja like mode, so it sneaks up and surprises people.

Ransac recommended the SVS PB12-NSD, which also seemed to be well rated on and off of AVS. As far as I could tell, the PB12-NSD and PC12-NSD are nearly identical in performance, so it seemed like a win win....

...until I came into a few extra bucks. With new found cash in hand, I decided to jump up from the PC12-NSD to the PC12-PLUS. It is really an amazing sub.

I suppose my only concern is I am not sure if the Plus was really worth the extra cash over the NSD. Since I didn't compare the two of them side by side in my home, I just have to assume that the extra money spent will be worth it.

I spoke with Doug @ SVS for quite some time about the NSD and the PLUS... and even 2 NSD verse the PLUS. To summarize, his advice was this - 2 NSDs would have some improvement over a single PLUS, IF the NSDs are properly calibrated. While my Denon 3808ci can calibrate for a single sub, it can not calibrate multiple subs properly if they are located in different places in the room. So without calibrating the dual subs for both levels and distance, the single PLUS would be better option for me. He did mention the sub calibrator that they sell, although 2 NSDs plus the calibrator would mean my wife would be a little more then upset with the amount of money spent over the budget on subwoofers. I was pushing it as it was with the PLUS.

Epilogue: I had my brother-in-law over the other night... I watched with great delight as he and my nephew's eyes popped out of their head and mouths hit the floor when the sub kicked in.... so maybe the PLUS was money well spent after all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.