Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[this is for the 2798, not 32 as stated above.. my mistake]

First off I want to thank everyone here that has taken the time to answer the tedious questions and explain things to people that aren't as edumacated (yes, spelt wrong for 'funneh' factor :p) as some lurkers like myself.

I am new to HDTV, but I have accumulated a nice volume of information on the subject from lurking here and combing through the web with a fork in the past few weeks.

Here's my question - Is the samsung TXM2797HF worth buying? I have it priced at 750$ at the moment (If I purchase it I will probably wait till after christmas for the hopeful drop in price, perhaps it may go a bit lower). The functions I will use this for regular TV (I have i/o cable, and if I purchase this TV my cable company will give me an HD cable tuner). I also own an Xbox and watch plenty DVD's. The viewing distance is from 2 feet (when sitting at desk) to ~10-11 feet from my couch and bed, respectively.

I'd appreciate ANY information you can provide; I searched this forum and read the 6 threads that came up with this model number mentioned in it and have also read the specs on it and any reviews that came up on google/hotbot/infoseek as well as seeing in person the 96/97 models (can't find a 98 in store).

Thanx in advanced!

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
$750 is an excellent price for the 3297, even the 3296 is normally $899-$999 at stores like Best Buy. Is this an open box special or something?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doh, sorry about that it's the 2798 - I made a mistake in copy/paste

Sorry about that ;) [original post edited]

·
Registered
327 Posts
hey, i have the 2796 and its pretty cool so far. I use Xbox in 480P and it looks great! I also have it hacked to play DVDs in progressive scan and it handles it pretty well also (thinkin about getting a Panasonic RP82 dvd player though)

Normally I use it with DirecTivo and the picture is pretty nice for line doubled, although if u sit close it is easier to see the MPEG artifacts. Considering picking up a HDTV Directv receiver soon.

There have been a few threads talkin about problems on the Samsung Direct-view tvs you might want to check out, such as teh line down the middle (i havent checked for this personally) and another on the 1st or 2nd page.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thnx for the links golem, but it does not say much about the xx98 series.. are you to say that the 96-98 use the same exact tube?

·
Registered
327 Posts
i believe 96 is the basic model... 97 has 3:2 pulldown capabilities.. and 98 has PIP.. otherwise they are the same

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought the 2796 and it is a nice TV (actually got mine for $499 at a military base exchange) but it has these vertical bars that drive me crazy --see other recent threads on this topic. It is possible to go into the service menu and activate PIP and BBE on the basic 96 model by the way.

Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bah :\\ They seemed like decent TV's

I guess I will wait, the overall thought around here seems to think that HDTV needs to be atleast 32", and since I already have a 27" (regular crt), I can live with it for a little longer.

Thnx for all the advice, if you guys recommend anything else I'd appreciate it :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.