AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i've been doing quite a bit or browsing for an LCD this past week and i think i have it narrowed between a few choices. I currently have a panasonic 42" TH-42PD50U plasma which i really like but the only downfall is its only an EDTV. Don't get me wrong the HDTV channels look amazing on it ad SD isn't bad either but I am looking at hooking a Mac to it and the ED resolution just isn't the best for that purpose. If it wasnt for that then i would probably just keep my plasma. I've been looking at the Westinghouse LVM-37w3 and the Vizio L42. I've also looked at the Westinghouse 42 inch 1080p model but i think its out of my price range which is why i am considering the 37". My question is which tv do you think is the best bang for my buck. I really like the 1080p resolution on the westinghouse but i also like having a 42" tv so im not sure if i want to get away from that. 720p resolution is better than what i have now but with all of the "full hd" content coming out i'm not sure if i should go with a smaller 1080P set. I can get them for pretty much the exact same price (westy of ebay for 1200 and the vizio at sams club for 1200+tax) so i guess it just comes down to which one would be better. My setup now consists of a comcast motorola HD DVR, LG HD-upconvert dvd player, and a PowerMac computer. I plan on adding either a xbox 360 or PS3 eventually which is one reason i was leaning towards the westy just because of the resolution. I have read a lot of the pages on the LVM-37w3 on here but i just dont have time to read all 200. The biggest problem i saw was the lack of overscanning makes SD channels have "garbage" on top. So really i am just looking for some input, it seems like the board has a lot of knowledgable posters so i'm hoping i can get the help that i need. And if there is any other LCD's i should consider let me know, my price range is around 1200. Also, if the 37" westy is available for less than 1200 anywhere please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Ty

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've narrowed my choice to the 37" Westy or the 37" Vizio. I'm still undecided. Don't know how to link other threads here, but look at the 1080p thread near top of LCD forum (if you haven't already).

We have a local store here in N. Texas (Conns) that is selling the Westy for 999, BUT (and it's a big one) they have a 10 day return with 15% re-stocking fee. Not sure if they ship out of this area but you can check their site and give them a call.

I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Vizio at Sams because at least I can return it if need be.

I'd like to find the Westy at another store and take in Conn's flyer for a price match, but haven't checked on that yet.

Decisions, decisions!

Lisa

·
Registered
528 Posts
It looks like the Vizio L42 and 37 give you HD tuner and SD tuner, as well as

two HDMI inputs. These tuners let you plug in your coax cable for over the air

antenna to the TV without a tuner. If you want to hook-up an HD-DVR and eventually

a PS3, you might have to change cables or get an HDMI switcher if you go with

the Westy, which looks like it has only 1 HDMI input. HDMI is convenient with

audio and video, and without it future HD-DVD or Blu-ray's could turn on

digital content protection and the analog inputs might not give an HD picture.

If you've looked at both tv's playing HD and SD content and like them both, go with the one

that gives you the most features you need or want for your budget. Warranty

and return policy, as well as delivery and maybe even installation for wall-mount,

should be looked at carefully. These are big and fragile and more likely to have

problems than smaller and lighter electronics.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpanel /forum/post/0

It looks like the Vizio L42 and 37 give you HD tuner and SD tuner, as well as

two HDMI inputs. These tuners let you plug in your coax cable for over the air

antenna to the TV without a tuner. If you want to hook-up an HD-DVR and eventually

a PS3, you might have to change cables or get an HDMI switcher if you go with

the Westy, which looks like it has only 1 HDMI input. HDMI is convenient with

audio and video, and without it future HD-DVD or Blu-ray's could turn on

digital content protection and the analog inputs might not give an HD picture.

If you've looked at both tv's playing HD and SD content and like them both, go with the one

that gives you the most features you need or want for your budget. Warranty

and return policy, as well as delivery and maybe even installation for wall-mount,

should be looked at carefully. These are big and fragile and more likely to have

problems than smaller and lighter electronics.

Thanks for the response. The westy has 1 hdmi and two dvi so if i went that way then i could hook my hd dvr to the hdmi, dvd player to the dvi along with optical to my receiver, and either the PC or PS3 to the other dvi with the audio to my receiver. Where as the vizio has two hdmi and a vga which would take care of my computer. So either way i could make the inputs work. I have seen the vizio in person but unfortunately at my local sams club it is set up away from the other LCD's and is playing some crappy DVD and my local best buy doesnt carry the westy. I guess i am just looking for the best all around set in terms of picture quality and reliability. I have read pros and cons of each but i don't have time to read the 200+ page threads on both of them which is why i started my own to try and get help. Also, i recently found somewhere i can get the 42" 1080p westy for 1287 so that presents another question as to which one i should get. The vizio is the only one that i would get locally, the two westys would be off line due to the price so i dont think they would have a return policy but would have the warranty still. I have just had great luck with my panny plasma so i dont want to go from this tv with no problems to an LCD with a lot of them. As far as the wall mount, i already have a tilting one set up with my plasma on it so that department is all set.

Ty

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcourt81 /forum/post/0

The return policy at Costco and Sams Club is very attractive when purchasing a LCD. Peace of mind is worth something. Both TVs are very good for the money. Get the one you like to look at.

The return policy would be nice but then again, so would 1080P. Im just really at a loss here on what to do and am basically am between the vizio 42 and westy 42 if i can get it for a good price. Please keep the input coming on which one you think i should buy. The 37" westy is still an option buy the way if i cant find the 42 cheap enough

·
Registered
528 Posts
If you can find out when Vizio released the last few models, you may be able to

estimate when the next model comes out. That usually coincides with price drops

on existing models. A couple of months might bring the 42 into your budget range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.