AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i sent my room specs to HSU and he recoomends the STF-3, so now after looking at a lot of companys i have two subs that i want the STF-3 or the INFINTY SW12.I can only have one sub, so would you guys pick the STF-3 over the INFINTY SW12?If so why? Thanks for all your help :) Ohh ya this system will ONLY be used for movies not music.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
STF-3 would be my choice. Better driver, better design, better service. I think you will be getting much more sub for your money.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Actually, that Infinity is a quality sub. The Infinity will be a hint louder above 28hz or so but the HSU will take over below 28z. The Infinity also has a PEQ and a very solid cabinet with good internal bracing. I had a pair of Infinity IL102s subs and they did movies very well but were GREAT for music!!! The PEQ help a 60hz peak I had because of my room.

Anyways, both subs are great. The HSU will play lower but the Infinity will play a tad louder and look good doing it!:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey how would the VFT MK2 preform? its only a 10 inch but i use my system only for movies,im not what you call a bass freak i like to hear the bass and feel it a LITTLE but i dont want a bass shakeing my pictures or room.Would this bass be a good preformer?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Hey how would the VFT MK2 preform? its only a 10 inch but i use my system only for movies,im not what you call a bass freak i like to hear the bass and feel it a LITTLE but i dont want a bass shakeing my pictures or room.Would this bass be a good preformer?
One thing to consider is that modern action oriented movies have a lot more low frequency content in them than almost any music does, and it extends to much lower frequencies than is typical in music. So even if you don't play movies at high levels you still probably want good bass extension so you get to hear the low frequencies in the movie content.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRON-WMD
Actually, that Infinity is a quality sub. The Infinity will be a hint louder above 28hz or so but the HSU will take over below 28z. The Infinity also has a PEQ and a very solid cabinet with good internal bracing. I had a pair of Infinity IL102s subs and they did movies very well but were GREAT for music!!! The PEQ help a 60hz peak I had because of my room.

Anyways, both subs are great. The HSU will play lower but the Infinity will play a tad louder and look good doing it!:D

Based on the measurements taken by Tom Nousaine on the older VTF2 and the Infinity SW12 I would conclude that both the new more powerful VTF2 and STF3 should not only go deeper then the Infinity but produce higher SPLs through out most of their usable bandwidth.

Ian ;)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang
Based on the measurements taken by Tom Nousaine on the older VTF2 and the Infinity SW12 I would conclude that both the new more powerful VTF2 and STF3 should not only go deeper then the Infinity but produce higher SPLs through out most of their usable bandwidth.

Ian ;)
Hum, I stand corrected:eek: I didn't even check Tom Nousaine list.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey i went with the VTF-2 MK 2 its that a good choice? my room is 15ft L 17 w, 8 ft celing,3 walls are drywall while to the left of my viewing area its open to the rest of my 1200sq ft basement. Also my main L\\R speakers are INFINTY BETA 50S and my reciver is a YAMAHA RXV-2500.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Since you are talking about 3200 cu ft and Nousaine takes his measurements in a 7500 cu ft room drawing average spls from the older VTF2 in the 107 to 109 db range, I think your sub will perform just fine. Good luck and enjoy!

Ian

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Even better! But remember, it doesn't have variable tuning like the VTF2.

Ian :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.