AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PC and a projector (a loaner from work) with which I ought to be able to construct a reasonable HT experience. I've been pouring over various forum here at AVS for weeks now and I'm still not entirely clear on how to put all this together. If someone could spell it out for me, more or less step-by-step, I would eternally grateful (and will hopefully be able to finally get some sleep). Here's the equipment I have and the room they're in.

1 LCD Projector - Sharp XG-P10XU (Specifications)

1 AMD Duron 650 Mhz PC - 256MB, Asus 7700 Pure Geforce 2 GTS, 16x Toshiba DVD-R, Soundblaster Live! Value, TView 99 (BT878) tuner/capture card

I have installed on the PC (which is a Windows 98 SE machine) the latest versions of Powerstrip, yXy, WinDVD, PowerDVD, Asus DVD2000, and DScaler.

My room is a 10'x15' box and is partially open on one side. This is a finished basement--I have excellent control over lighting. The screen (whatever size I should get) will go on the 10' wall. The distance from projector to screen is approximately 13'. Presently, the walls of the basement are old wood paneling which has been painted a fairly bright white. The ceiling is a drop ceiling (with white frame and panels) and is just over 7' high.

I have a stack of 25 DVDs that I'm dying to view with this setup--DVDs that so far have not been impressive on my 27" Sony Trinitron and Pioneer DVD525 interlace player.

For now, my audio setup consists of an Onkyo 575 DD/DTS AVR and Paradigm Mini-monitors. I need to purchase the rest of my speakers. I've got the audio situation under control, with the exception of understanding what I need to get DD/DTS audio from the DVD into the digital inputs on my receiver.

So, I attach a VGA cable from the output of my GeForce card to the VGA input on the Sharp projector which is pointed squarely at the opposing wall. I power everything up and I want to play a DVD. What do I do? What resolutions and refresh/scan rates should I use? The Sharp is capable of 16:9 output if fed the appropriate signal. How do I best utilize yXy? Anything gotchas on configuring my software DVD player? Must these programs be started in a particular order? I'm seeking the best possible picture quality from this equipment. Do I run in the Sharp's native 1024x768 resolution or do I need something else in order to get the most from the DVD?

I have an analog cable signal fed into my TV tuner card. Do I use DScaler to improve the image quality? How so?

Let me add that I'm a network administrator so I'm no novice when it comes to PCs. However, the refresh/scanrate front and backporch stuff is beyond what I normally deal with in my job and as a PC gamer. Again I've really poured over these forums, read lots of FAQs, etc. and this still isn't completely clear to me.

I've posted this in the HTPC and LCD forums.

Thank you for your time, http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Justin

[This message has been edited by Eradan (edited 08-10-2001).]

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Justin,

First, welcome to the forum and to HTPC. I am fairly new at this myself but I have gathered some pretty usefull information through the forum also. Though I'm not too familiar with your specific projector I read the specs that your link sent me too and I gathered some information that may help you out. First, your projector is native 1024 x 768 which means it's a 4:3 format. The specs state that it can reproduce a 16:9 image too, but that usually is not the best way to go with a native 4:3 projector. You may have read this somewhere else in the forum, but in short, you end up not using all of the LCD panel to produce your image if you choose a 16:9 picture. Thus losing image quality. If you have the means you should run the projector in a 4:3 "look" and set-up an external lens (Panamorph) outside your projector to "squeeze" the image to fit a 16:9 screen while maintaining the use of all the LCD panels. There is a ton about this subject in other posts, I'm sure you'll find some by simply searching. I haven't messed with yxy yet.....YET... I say yet because I run PowerStrip in the 1024 x 768 mode with the refresh rate set at 75hz (my projector doesn't like 72hz). If you can get a 72hz setting to work on your projector, rumor has it that that is the best refresh rate for your image. See if you take the 24 frames per second and try to keep that ratio in your refresh rate setting your projector/image processor has much less work adjusting or manipulating the image being sent to the projector. You see, 24 X 3 is an even 72hz. I also have an image that was posted here quite a while ago that will mesh the clock rate of your video card with the clock rate of your projector. It is amazing how the image clears and sharpens right up using this image. If you want it, just email me and I'll explain how to use it.

Have you tried to hook up a co/ax to your processor from your sound card? If so, are you getting a DD/DTS 5.1 signal to work? If not, you may have to jump through a few hoops here. I did. First, under your control panel, sounds menu got to the "audio" tab then click on the advanced button under "sound playback/preferred device". Choose under speaker set-up 5.1 surround sound speakers. Then click ok to get back to your desktop. Next, using PowerDVD you need to go to the configuration menu either by clicking on the configuration icon or by right clicking on the "movie screen". You can only access the audio tab while your movie is in "STOP" mode. Once in "Config" go to the "Audio" tab, then select, under audio output, "Use SPDIF Output". That should turn on your digital DD/DTS stuff. OH, make sure to choose a DD or DTS option from whatever movie you are watching.

I hope that helps you a bit. Email me for anything else.

You may also want to post this in the HTPC forum area.

Mike

------------------

Let's go out to the lobby.

Let's go out to the lobby.

To have ourselves a snack!

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by michaeldare (edited 08-10-2001).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.