AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased the speakers (Niles In-Walls), the projector AE300 and the Screen 45 by 80 Da_lite Da-Mat. Now I need some assistance placing the rear speakers. I am planning a 6.1 setup and I am trying to get a good feeling of the left and right rear surrounds. How far above the seating position should the rear surrounds be ( I am guessing 1-2 feet )??? Also, I am throwing about 11-12 ft from projector to screen and that seems to be okay for the 92" dia screen. But where should the seating position be ( I can back to about 13ft or stay 11-12 ft or so). Placement of front Left and right speakers is a little trickier. They have to be placed inside the wall near the upper corners, should I try to put them as close to the center of the wall as possible or just stay near the corners ???

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Spike 1

·
Registered
766 Posts
Spike,

You might get more interest on the audio questions in the "Audio setup, questions & chat" thread, but I'll take a crack at some of your questions since nobody else has chimed in yet.

Rear Surrounds - Position them at ear level, or above. 1-2 feet above will work.

The best seating position is one which allows you to take in the whole movie without having to crank your head to see it all (seated too close) and not be distracted by issues in your peripheral vision (Seated too far away). As a rule of thumb, the best seating position is located between one and a half, and two times the width of the screen. (If your screen is 6' wide, sit 9-12' from the screen).

Ideally you would want to set up your front speakers so that the tweeters are aligned with the horizontal center of the screen, and position them on the front wall, 2' in from the corners. Above center is always better than below center, if you have to deviate from center. Don't worry if you can't place your speakers is "Ideal" positions, very few people have perfect rooms, and your Niles are going to sound great.

Hopefully some active members will chime in with more information.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.