AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am helping my dad's friend with his church's youth room, It has a 16 foot ceilings and its about 30 feet long and 30 feet wide. They want to put the projector recessed in the back. They can put it on the ceiling, but they would like to avoid that based on the height of the ceiling. They are going to use this primarily for powerpoints and showing some video clips. 16:9 is perferred. They want it as cheap as possibe (so I steered them towards Office Projectors). How far back can one sit to produce a picture on a 9 foot screen?? Is there a formula based on the resolution, or some way I can look up on the specs??? to know how big a projector can project?? They would like to use a Local Retailer (I.E. best buy, circuit...)

The ambient light in the room is controllable....so brightness is not a super issue.

THank you

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
If you're going to have the projector 30' away from the screen you're probably going to need a long-throw lens. Depending on the unit you choose, the lens may double the amount you're going to pay...

·
Registered
403 Posts
With a throw distance of 30', you are going to need a very bright projector to light up a 9' screen. If even possible... most projectors from 30' away will throw a MUCH bigger image than that.

A good tool to help with screen size, throw distance and image brightness is this calculator.

Input your projector and parameters (all boxes are editable), and you'll see what will work in your setup.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm

I'm guessing you are probably have to ceiling mount (much closer to the screen) if you want to stay on the cheaper side.

Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts