AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a small (13 x 17) dedicated theater in a basement room of my house. I am nearly done framing and will be running wire and installing outlets soon. I plan to install can lights around the perimeter of the room and over the seating areas (two rows). I am also going to use four wall sconces and rope light in the soffit around the perimeter.

As for equipment I am going to use a projector (have not purchased yet - probably still 3-6 months from completion of the build). Here are my questions:

1. What kind / rating of can lights need I purchase? They will be placed in an insulated ceiling (the insulation was pre-installed when I bought the house).

2. I have read a little about the GrafikEye systems and am very interested. I'm not sure that I will install one right away due to cost however I would like to install the proper wiring for using it in the future. Anyone care to give me a brief primer on how these systems work and what type and where I need to run the wiring to the lighting for that? Do I run wires to each individual light or just to the beginning of the circuit for each set?

3. Finally, what kind of wiring do I need to run for the AV? I am assuming an HDMI to the projector as well as a CAT5 and then speaker wire to the speaker locations. What am I leaving out?

Sorry for such elementary questions - I am continually amazed at the breadth of knowledge here and I am excited to complete this project in time.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
You need IC (in-contact) rated cans.

2. Run a wire to each light to your future control location. You'll likely do that anyway when you install your lights.

3. Run conduit (2" min) to the projector location and outside of the conduit you run the basic cables you may want. I'd put in HDMI, component and 2-3 Cat5 cables.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I agree with Cathan although I'm starting to believe that HDMI is the only way to go assuming you are using a modern AVR that will take any input and output via HDMI.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/16964650

You need IC (in-contact) rated cans.

2. Run a wire to each light to your future control location. You'll likely do that anyway when you install your lights.

What does this mean? What type of wire? Would these be individual runs for each recessed light, or one run for a set of recessed lights? I was going to run 6 cans off one switch and 6 cans off another switch. I was going to use X10 type software for the control. Once the movie starts, I think the lights will be off. So the control will likely be on/off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/16964650

3. Run conduit (2" min) to the projector location and outside of the conduit you run the basic cables you may want. I'd put in HDMI, component and 2-3 Cat5 cables.

Personally, I'm going to put in one HDMI and one cat5 cable, for control. I don't see the need for component, since I have a scaler and no devices that use component (unless I buy one where the HDMI has problems, but a scaler should fix that).

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Bob, I have found occassions when doing some A/B demos that I've preferred the component connection. It offers a smoother, less harsh picture. And there are some that prefer that.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Bob,

yes you want each lighting circuit to have its wires pulled to the one location.

wire from breaker to GE (GE=Grafik Eye). then from each set of lights to the GE.

in my basement i have 2 front sconces, 2 back sconces, and 4 pots. each section has its wires pulled to where the GE is. then one wire from the panel to where the GE is.

i would also suggest putting component in, maybe even VGA BEFORE you drywall. Component wire is DIRT CHEAP as its only 3x RG6 w/ RCA ends. check out monoprice.com for good deals.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen /forum/post/16964688

What does this mean? What type of wire?

You need to do some research, since it sounds as if you're unclear on basic home wiring and types of recessed lights. For the latter visit a lighting store to get an eyes-on idea of what's available.

There is an entire sticky thread dedicated to the GrafikEye, but here's a quicky: A GE controls 4-6 "zones", or groups of luminaires (fixtures), together or individually. Each zone must consist of at least 25W, and no more than 1200W(?) total. So figure out what fixtures you want to comprise each zone, wire them together, and bring the feed cable for each zone down to a deep 4-gang box where the GE will live (see thread for what box to buy).

In the meantime your switches can live in that box.

·
Registered
400 Posts
You will want more zones for your cans. The perimeter cans should at least be divided into a zone by the screen and a zone away from the screen, and probably you should also have separate zones over each row of seats.

You then run these six zones (2 zones of perimeter, 2 zones above chairs, wall sconces, and rope light) back to your 4 gang deep masonry box (for the grafik eye). For now you could place zones together to allow control with four switches, but when you get the grafik eye you can wire up all six zones independently.

If you want more zones still, you can get a Grafik Ra that can control other special lutron switches elsewhere. My theater will have six zones of lighting, and nine zones of other basement lights will be controlled on the same system.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
You need to make your mind up about lighting control and zoning.

As others have said if you use a GE each zone needs to be wired back to the GE location but if you use something like Insteon you can wire some zones to a less visible position (like equipment closet) and control everything from a KeypadLinc.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you can wait to buy your HDMI cable the 1.4 rated cables are due out this fall.

You should still run conduit as suggested but long HDMI cables are not cheap so don't buy them twice if you can avoid it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.