AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a new home and I prewired my house for surround sound and the internet. This past last week the sheetrock guys came in and did my home. They hung the sheetrock and sprayed the walls. During the course I was out of town to overlook the job. Well I walked into my home and I had an instant aneurism. They sprayed all my speaker wires with the banana tips on them including all my cat5 wires that I crimped at the ends. So pretty much all my wires are caked in sheetrock spray. They really went full retard doing my home. Anyway is there any the of solvent that I can clean the tips of my speaker wires and cat5 wires without damaging them? I tried using soap and water and it was able to get alot of it off but not all of it. Especially the tips of my cat5 which I don't feel like recrimping them.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think cutting and re-terminating is the only way to go. Any thing that may clean the cat5 will not be good for the contacts.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had a similar problem when building my house. Folks told me to plastic wrap every wire that I didn't want coated with texture. I tried to remember to wrap everything, but I missed a lot. And they sprayed everything I missed. My biggest problem was that they sprayed the labels on the wire (I hadn't terminated them yet). I'm just telling you this to let you know you aren't alone. I agree that the best bet will be to re-strip and re-terminate.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I too had the same problem...I was fortunate enough to have run several feet extra for each drop and tucked everything I could into a plastic sandwich bag. Worked well for the most part. Not that this helps you in any way...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.