AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this will be my first surround sound install, and I've run into some issues and hoping to get some advice on how I might want to approach this. Now my tv is sitting on top of my fireplace in my living room. The problem I have is that, I am surrounded by exterior walls with brick on the other side, so I'm not sure how feasible it will be to try and run a cable drop for the speakers. Because of this, I was thinking that I may run cables along the walls and hook the speakers up to stands, but that isn't exactly the cleanest look. Also, I am not quite sure on the placement of my rear left speaker, given my current situation. So I humbly come to the experts for any suggestions in how I can tackle the wiring and placement of my speakers, given the layout of what I have to work with. I've provided a link below to give an idea what my living room and dining room area look like. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Living Area

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssoto0055 /forum/post/15590880

On the inside you also have the bare brick? There's no drywall?

Sorry if I was unclear. I have drywall on the inside of the wall, but due to the way the house has been designed, I have had difficulty in running drops from the attic and was looking for alternative options to running cable drops and possible speaker placement based on those alternatives. Thanks.

·
Registered
432 Posts
CIP,

Suggest bullet-biting is in order here - some drywall is gonna get broke.

What you want to end up with are L, C, and R wall plates with 5-way connectors. They look very nice low down on walls (for L and R) or even attached to baseboards (get crunched by vacs, though). To connect your speaks, you simply get speaker wire terminated at both ends with banana plugs. For cleaning, you unplug at wall plate, vac, then replug. Make sure you use 10 or 12 ga. generic copper wire since your runs from the wall plates through the attic (or wherever) to equipment stack could be fairly long (approx. 50').

Note: if you think you may really get into this stuff later on, you might consider running two sets of speaker wire to each L, C, and R location for bi-wiring/bi-amping down the road.

Good luck.

williak

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Could you pull the base mouldings and make your runs behind them?

I could see putting the speaker connect plates in at normal height, and fish the cable out at the bottom of your wall. Usually there should be enough room to run speaker cables there, as there is normally a space left from the bottom of the dry wall and the floor. You will just have to drill through the bottom plate of the wall a bit and let the moulding hide the cables. If you know what I mean.

Just a thought, as that is what I have done in the past. It looks clean and know one could tell I cheated.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts