AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, I have some of my extra input boards (ECP and Marquee) up for sale on ebay. 3 days ago I got an email from someone wanting me to end one of the auctions. He made me an offer, which is acceptable, and I told him I would sell it to him.

All of these sales are to help offset the cost of the new green tube I want to order from VDC, so the faster I can complete the stuf, the faster I have a new tube :)

Anyway, I offered at the price he was willing to pay, if he would use Paypal, I would pay continental US shipping for him. He asked for a bank transfer. I have just found out he is in Israel. I have backed out of the deal for fear something may go awry.

Once before I sold some parts internationally to a member of this forum, and he also said that bank transfers are common to international shipments. Not having doen this, am I safe or not? I don't mind a transfer coming in to the bank account, it's the possibility of a transfer out that worries me.

At the price he offered, I would almost be willing to setup a separate account just to do this transaction, then cancel the account. Or use a stagnant savings account I have. FYI, He offered me $200 plus shipping for a Marquee S video input board. Kind of hard to have to say no to something like that. BTW, he also wants me to use FedEx for speed and ease on an international shipment. Makes sense, I just have some warning lights going off.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
go with your instincts on this one , if it doesn,t feel right then don,t do it .........

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Jay: I sold a parts only LCD projector to a guy in Israel and he paid bank transfer. They are safe and common, they only work one way, they cannot take money OUT only put money in. I sent it FedEx as per his request(at a cost of about $275. if I remember), the only precaution I took was to put a fake name and address as sender because FedEx will come back to the sender if they are stupid enough to deliver COD without collecting. They figure someone has to pay for their mistake. I would say sell it without worries, I think they will pay more there because its pretty hard to get some stuff.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Have him set up a Pay Pal account and make the transaction. I agree any other type of exchange makes me feel a little odd to. I have used CCNow in the past with good luck on sales in Poland.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! He says he has setup the Paypal and will send the $200...I didn't think you could do a Paypal transaction for that much that fast! Either I'm wrong or something changed. We'll see...

Also, thanks for the tip on sender Paul...unfortunately, he wants to issue the call tag and have it on his account. I think I will be OK...unless he issues the call tag COD and then skips out. Not sure he can do that though. He is going to send FedEx to my office for the pickup. I could easily change the name, but the address would be a bit hard to do.

I'll keep you posted...

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Well if he's sending FedEx to collect it you should be fine. Sounds like a pro, the guy I sold to was a pro too. Kramer broadcast stuff is from Israel, I think there must be some hi tech industry there.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Once you see the money in your account and FedEx takes the item, I'd say you have nothing to worry about. Don't let FedEx take it before you see the green though.

Sounds legit to me.

- Rick

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like the $200 just came in. He wants it shipped collect now though, so I think I'll take Paul's advice on the fake name/address. I think I'll also go ahead and order a green tube and "clean out" my Paypal account. :)

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Hmm....Orange Texas..(Houston area)...to Isreal....fake name.....wonder what kind of a reward I could get....$0.03...not worth it.

Jay

You can set up Paypal with a credit card and pay in minutes.

Walt

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ha, Ha Walt...very funny :D

Well, the payment has come through and I've ordered my new (rebuilt) tube from VDC...actually that's the main reason I'm posting...I have to share the joy with someone!!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
As an australian member I find that US sellers not wanting to ship to Australia is an obstacle more often than not.

But PalPal makes it very easy and safe. Sellers in the US are sceptical of OS transactions, but they are theoretically no more risky than local sales IMHO. If you take the same precautions, then the results should be the same.

My advice:

Make sure you have the money first - Paypal is the easiest method I've found of sending US sellers funds, and as safe from overseas as from locally.

Use decent shipping WITH INSURANCE. Even USPS is adequate with insurance for most small items such as input boards etc.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Speaking of shipping, if you ever need anything sent from Australia or Taiwan, two places I've gotten stuff from, air mail is VERY good from that general part of the world. I recently got a tube from Taiwan that got here sooner than one from New Jersey !

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Paul, Do you have an Svideo input board for a MArquee? If so , I may have a lead for you. Email me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.