AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a HTPC which uses an i3 with the integrated GPU, SSD...

I was using Mediabrowser theater but it became buggy but I still have MB server running on a separate WHS machine. I also have a Lumagen 2021. I have Win7 but will consider Ubuntu as well.

I try to stay up on the latest developments but its very difficult. All my movies are MKV full rips for best quality. I am projecting using a JVC 4810.

What approach can give me the best quality with the hardware I currently have?

Is it Emby with Madvr (can I even run Madvr with an i3 no external card)?

Is it Kodi and use the Emby plugin?

What are the experiences out there with the current software?

·
Registered
9,961 Posts
I'm in a very similar boat.

I bought a PC a few weeks ago to replace a Chromebox/Kodi setup and I've run circles with lots of options.

So far,... I find kodi on windows a bit buggy.

Actually, Media Browser is too... at least the Emby Theater app which sometimes would crash or somehow use all 12GB of RAM that this new machine has resulting in a "I ran out of memory and stuff" windows message.

Currently I'm giving JRiver a spin. It's so not free compared to the others but so far it's looking pretty good.

It seems to have a good mix of built in configuration and customizability.

Then again.... I just downloaded it and I suppose it will take me a while to figure out what's wrong with it.

-Brian

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Yip - JRiver if you're prepared to 'pony-up' is perhaps the best for audio/video 'quality' - though weak on metadata presnetation/display compared to both Emby and Kodi. The others you have tried can be made to achieve similar results, but will require a lot more user intervention.

If you are asking which renderer provides the best video, that depends a lot on the source material. if your collection is predominantly 1080p rips, then IMO there is little to be gained from a madvr set-up, however it certainly can reap dividends when upscaling SD material. An i3 is likely to be on the weak side for madvr use - dependant on what you hope to achieve with it.

·
Registered
761 Posts
If you already have Emby Server running, then your easiest, and possibly best, solution is probably to stick with Emby and use either the web client, or to use the Kodi integration. With 1080p native material, there is no real need for MadVR, though if you are running solely off the integrated i3, you don't have the resources for MadVR anyway.

I agree that MB Theater has become buggier of late. It is still in alpha though, and is apparently in the midst of a drastic overhaul that, among other things, remarkably increases stability. I've had no trouble with the Emby Windows app for a few weeks, possibly even a couple months now. I do know though, that when I was having issues, I could just go to Emby.com and log into my server using the web client. That has always remained 100% rock solid.

With your current hardware, there is little reason to change what you have. The performance changes are likely to be minuscule, and there is even less of a chance that the video quality will be discernibly better. Use the server you have (which already has done the heavy lifting of doing the metadata and sort thing) and just use the client you like best or add in Kodi.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you already have Emby Server running, then your easiest, and possibly best, solution is probably to stick with Emby and use either the web client, or to use the Kodi integration. With 1080p native material, there is no real need for MadVR, though if you are running solely off the integrated i3, you don't have the resources for MadVR anyway.

I agree that MB Theater has become buggier of late. It is still in alpha though, and is apparently in the midst of a drastic overhaul that, among other things, remarkably increases stability. I've had no trouble with the Emby Windows app for a few weeks, possibly even a couple months now. I do know though, that when I was having issues, I could just go to Emby.com and log into my server using the web client. That has always remained 100% rock solid.

With your current hardware, there is little reason to change what you have. The performance changes are likely to be minuscule, and there is even less of a chance that the video quality will be discernibly better. Use the server you have (which already has done the heavy lifting of doing the metadata and sort thing) and just use the client you like best or add in Kodi.
Yeah, I think you are right. I am going to try Kodi under Unbuntu and use the Emby plugin and see how I like it. Its free and doesn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Consider using an external player? I just loaded Emmy last night and first run seemed to be sluggish, so I swapped to media player classic home cinema. Granted I have an external card for acceleration, but I wouldn't be surprised if the i3 can handle it.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I've never had a problem with MB Classic. Some of their device apps though drive me nuts. My wife's Kindle updated a week or two ago and its basically useless now. Even when it does play, folder view is completely nerfed (which is one of the main reasons we stuck with MB over Plex). We get not folder icons and once inside a folder, it displays a flat view of everything. That's a problem since most of our movies have a separate folder in them for all the extras.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts