AVS Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Eydsamoht thanks for the detailed explanation. It makes me realize there's a lot of thought that needs to go into setting up a home theater properly. Ben38, thanks for your advice. From reading other threads it seem like, as you recommended, a white screen is the way to go if possible. I could try getting samples of both white and gray screen, or buy the white screen and blackout curtains in the room and that should work. I do have light wood floor and white ceiling though. I may carpet the floor when I had the second tier of seating but the white ceiling will be a pain if i have to paint it. the wall with the screen is darker tone of red and side walls green so those should be ok.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Eydsamoht thanks for the detailed explanation. It makes me realize there's a lot of thought that needs to go into setting up a home theater properly. Ben38, thanks for your advice. From reading other threads it seem like, as you recommended, a white screen is the way to go if possible. I could try getting samples of both white and gray screen, or buy the white screen and blackout curtains in the room and that should work. I do have light wood floor and white ceiling though. I may carpet the floor when I had the second tier of seating but the white ceiling will be a pain if i have to paint it. the wall with the screen is darker tone of red and side walls green so those should be ok.
If you paint the ceiling a dark color (black is preferred) with flat paint from the ceiling and going back just a foot and a half or so, it will reduce the amount of light reflections quite a bit.

·
Registered
94 Posts
High contrast grey screens just lower black levels by not being white. The darker color is slightly less reflective, so dim output becomes less so. They're not light rejecting or angular reflecting screens, so you still get the same amount of washout in ambient light.

Since you already own the HD25e and it's super bright, it makes sense to go with a screen like the one you described. For the price, it sounds like a good experiment that will probably be a decent all-rounder.
Thanks. As I am reading more and more about these screens, what "screen gain" is and the issues high gain screens give with super bright projectors in terms of the hot spots and sparkle, it seems that this hight contrast gray screen could end up being the perfect screen for the HD25e? It has lower gain and while.not ambient light rejecting, the projector is so bright I really don't even need one to get a brilliant picture during the day with lights on. Also keep in mind that the screen will be on a wall WITH the two small windows near the ceiling, so the sunlight will be behind the screen.

Does anyone else have any opinions of this retractable Elitech high contrast gray screen and how it would work with my HD25e?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Thanks. As I am reading more and more about these screens, what "screen gain" is and the issues high gain screens give with super bright projectors in terms of the hot spots and sparkle, it seems that this high contrast gray screen could end up being the perfect screen for the HD25e? It has lower gain and while not ambient light rejecting, the projector is so bright I really don't even need one to get a brilliant picture during the day with the lights on? Also keep in mind that the screen will be on a wall WITH the two small windows near the ceiling, so the sunlight will be behind the screen.

Does anyone else have any opinions of this retractable Elitech high contrast gray screen and how it would work with my HD25e?
I would think twice about getting a screen from Elitech, Steve. I don't have any experience with their products nor do I know anyone who does. So i can't speak about the quality of their product.
What bothers me is their ElitechUSA.com website. It will tell you a lot about the company you're dealing with. There's spelling errors all over the website and broken links. There is no address provided about their location, there's no phone number to call, and there's no information about their return policy. Motorized screens from even the best companies have more defect problems than any other type of screen. You want a reputable company with good customer service behind you with a motorized screen purchase.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would think twice about getting a screen from Elitech, Steve. I don't have any experience with their products nor do I know anyone who does. So i can't speak about the quality of their product.
What bothers me is their ElitechUSA.com website. It will tell you a lot about the company you're dealing with. There's spelling errors all over the website and broken links. There is no address provided about their location, there's no phone number to call, and there's no information about their return policy. Motorized screens from even the best companies have more defect problems than any other type of screen. You want a reputable company with good customer service behind you with a motorized screen purchase.
Well, if I would purchase the screen I would do so through Amazon.com (they sell it) and also purchase their service plan. I wouldn't go directly through Elitech. I would buy a 4 year plan likely. After that, any screen would be out of warranty anyways. Its also a fairly cheap investment, under $300 so I wouldn't be out a ton of money regardless.

All that aside, based on what the specs of that screen show, should this be a good screen for what I need?

·
Registered
94 Posts
All inches are going to count, here. I'm going to claim your wall is 7'10", or 94 inches tall. Let wall = 94" (assuming floor = 0)

Let's assume you're using a 110" CineGrey 5D screen with a Sable frame. The overall screen height is 58.7". Note: You will need approximately 2 inches to be able to drop the assembled screen onto the wall brackets. So, screenTopMax = 92" Thus, screenBottomMax = 33.3".

Let's assume you're using the BenQ w1070. Projector Calculator Pro (www.projectorcentral.com) calculates for a 110" 1.4 gain screen the projector lens should be placed 11'5" (137") using a zoom of 1.05x. This will yield 33fL at the screen. This is bright, but running Eco mode should help reduce sparkling which will be visible in low-light viewing conditions. Using 1.05x zoom will allow maximum distance and for a little variation in throw in order for your mount to hit a ceiling joist (you'll want to check the direction they run, too).

Page 20 of the BenQ w1070 user manual shows that the fixed vertical offset is 10% of the image throw from the center of the lens, with an adjustment range of 20% using vertical lens shift. That means the minimum distance the screen will have to be below the lens is 10% of 137", or offsetMin = 13.7"

Now we need to take the dimensions of the projector into account. The projector height is 4.1" (104mm) so the center of the lens is 2" from the base. A quick internet search using 'w1070 low profile projector ceiling mount' shows some mounts that place the projector base 4" from the ceiling. Add the height of the projector unit, so lensHeight = 6"

With this, we can figure out screen placement. To calculate the top position of the screen frame, we'll use: screenTop = wall - lensHeight - offsetMin. Thus, screenTop = 74.3" and screenBottom = 15.6".

This is the recommended screen placement to avoid any keystone with the projector being mounted absolutely level. Since the bottom of the screen being roughly 16" off the ground is pretty low, you'll have to evaluate if you can pull that off. I agree that you'll have problems going bigger than a 110" screen in this room.

The Optima HD25e has less offset, but the picture is way too bright for this screen (49fL at 13'). So is the HD131Xe (40fL at 14').

So, I looked more...and with all that text, I change my recommendation. The Epson 2030 is a better fit for you. The image should be less sparkly (33fL at 11'6") and the projector appears to have a zero offset. Check user reviews, but I think this might be your best bet under $1000. I leave reworking the numbers for screen placement to you if you want to eliminate keystone by mounting the projector level (recommended).

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_2030-projection-calculator-pro.htm
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_2030.htm
http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_7795.pdf
That is a very good rundown. I did notice that you did the calculations for the BenQ projector.

Last night I measured from the floor to the bottom of the ceiling joists (its not finished yet, right now its the concrete floor to the joists). I measured that to be 92 inches high. Must take into consideration a drywall ceiling that is being put in and carpet. With that said, how far off the floor would the bottom of the HD25e screen sit with proper installation with that ceiling height and with the projector mounted on the ceiling 13 feet away by an installer?

·
Registered
42 Posts
The calculator says there's a 9" offset in image from a 13' throw. So, assuming the mount puts the base of the projector 4 inches from the ceiling and the center of the lens is roughly another two inches below that, that's six inches. Mount + lens + offset = 4 + 2 + 9 = 15" from the ceiling. The screen height is 58.7", so the bottom of the screen on a 92" tall wall is 18.3". I think you said you were going to change to a pull down screen, so that adjusts things a little but you'll have to figure that out.

My recommendation is build a rough estimate to see if it's an acceptable number. If yes, then mount your projector first. Display the image on the wall, and get your screen at the proper height from that. I don't think the HD25e has an adjustable lens shift so you'll either have to be spot on with your screen mounting or use tilt and keystone to get your image in the right location.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think I am hesitant to go with that Elitech screen as they do not appear to be a reputable company. Does anyone here know what other screens might be available out there that are either 110 inches or 106 inches and that are retractable (motorized or manual) that are a high contrast gray screen that come at an affordable price not more than $600 or $700?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think I just found an old Elite Screens model that has been discontinued. It's model# m160uch. It is a 106 inch manual pull down retractable screen. Amazon doesn't sell it anymore, but ebay still has 7 of them for sale. It's really cheap @about $122 and the description says its high contrast gray. Hower another site that is still selling it says high contrast gray near the description, but down below near the specifications it says its a matte white? Everywhere else I have looked seems to indicate this is a gray screen. Can someone out there verify that one way or another?

·
Registered
42 Posts
The eBay listing looks like it's m106UWH from the description. You mentioned m106UCH. Not the same thing. Newegg lists the UCH as being silver grey. Other websites list it as being high contrast grey. Dunno. It's very budget and a discontinued model. If you want more info about that or other non-ALR screens, you're probably better off starting a new thread.

·
Registered
94 Posts
After doing tons of research I have come to find out that the retractable screens both manual and motorized almost always develop waves after a year or so of use. You need a tab tensioned one to avoid that, but those run about $1000 low end for the size I want.

So after discussing again with my wife and explaining to her that fixed screens can be easily cleaned if kids get their finger prints on them with a soft cloth and warm water, etc she has ageed to let me get a fixed screen. Back in business!

I have opened back up my options of screens/ projectors to two scenarios:

Scenerio 1: Get the Optoma HD25e with the Elite Sceens ezFrame fixed Cinegray high contrast screen 106 inches. I would get this screen because I hear the 5D Ambient Light Rejecting screen wouldn't work as well with this projector as its too bright and would have hot spot issues and sparkling. The standard Cinegray screen would be a much better fit for this projector.

Scenerio 2: purchase either the Epson or BenQ models that are the equivalent comparison models to the HD25e only have 2000 lumens instead of 2800, not to mention 1080p 3D units in the same price range of $750-850. With one of these screens I would purchase the Cinegray 5D Ambient Light rejecting screen by Elite (110 inches). Getting one of these two less bright competitors of the HD35e would seem to be a MUCH better fit for the Cinegray 5D Ambient Light Rejecting screen.

Can I get everyone's opinion between these two scenarios? I would like to pull the trigger this weekend on everything. Anyone's input would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Bump...can I get some feedback on this? Hoping to finalize by the middle of this week.
Optoma's lumen claims are way overinflated. More like 1700 lumens with a fresh bulb. (That's still a whole lot of light. But no brighter than the Benq1070) The Benq has Slightly better blacks and a little lens shift.
Although getting a good picture with a Cinegrey5D is doable with lots of trial and error, I personally wouldn't use either of these projectors. I would be looking for a projector with much more placement flexibility.
Of your two scenarios, i would pick scenario 1 if you can find a regular gray screen.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks. I was going to have a professional installer do all of the mounting of the projector and screen. Should that be okay to make sure I got an ideal picture with the Cinegray or Cinegray 5D screens with a projector without great lens shift?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Thanks. I was going to have a professional installer do all of the mounting of the projector and screen. Should that be okay to make sure I got an ideal picture with the Cinegray or Cinegray 5D screens with a projector without great lens shift?
Sure. An installer will help you get a great picture. Just in case you haven't seen it, even though the regular Cinegrey is discontinued, the Elite Screen Shop still sells the EZ Frame with regular Cinegrey material for a really good price. (106" for $495)

41 - 55 of 55 Posts