AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

i just took the plunge and bought a Denon 2310CI (got a really good deal on it). Now I'm just looking to get at least the 3 fronts. the room is about 20x20 maybe a bit bigger (it includes the kitchen and living room) but the couches are placed at about 8 feet away from the TV.

As far as the budget, maybe under $600 (under $500 would be better). ---> for the 3 speakers

i was looking at bookshelves but i'm open to towers also. i will buy the sub and 2 rears later on.

speakers will be for 90%tv/movies and 10%music.

thanks in advance for your help

UPDATED BUDGET: i now can go for about $1200-$1400 fro a decent 3.1 or 5.1

· Registered
1,249 Posts
If you are only getting the 3 now I would lean towards two mains and the sub and get the center later. By getting the sub you could go for bookshelf now and let the sub handle the heavy lifting and the LFE signal. If you go with the front three now without a sub you will want a more robust system to handle the deeper base and push the LFE to you L R speakers (For this type of speaker the quality to $ ratio goes south, for example you can get a great bookshelf for 200-300 but a tower with large woofer will be much more money or less quality for same price. Most tvs are also capable (though not the best) of being used as the center channel until you get a dedicated speaker for that position.

A good way to split the cost up is to use you present budget to get a good sub and repectable bookshelf for your LR. The left right should be clear and accurate but not overly powerful. Next time you have a little extra buy the center or spend a little more and get good L R speakers and move the present ones to you surround. I think by doing this you get the best bang for the buck as I find that I can get 500-600 together every once in a while and you can add good speakers for that range rather than trying to fit you whole front soundstage under that budget.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryCowboy /forum/post/16872432

If you are only getting the 3 now I would lean towards two mains and the sub and get the center later. By getting the sub you could go for bookshelf now and let the sub handle the heavy lifting and the LFE signal. If you go with the front three now without a sub you will want a more robust system to handle the deeper base and pust the LFE to you L R speakers. Most tvs are also capable (though not the best) of being used as the center channel until you get a dedicated speaker for that position.

Ok thanks for your reply.

As i stated, I'm open to all possibility/configuration within my budget. I'm new to the whole HT thing

· Registered
1,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarf /forum/post/16872461

Ok thanks for your reply.

As i stated, I'm open to all possibility/configuration within my budget. I'm new to the whole HT think

No problem. Since you were looking at spliting up the purchase I thought you might want to maximize the performance of each component. There are also 5.1 speaker packages you can get that are well balanced to each other for that price but won't compare to a system you spend that much on each speaker position.

I have heard these before and sounded very nice and now on sale at your budget. Look in the engery forum here for reviews. They sound great, but don't have the power/impact larger speakers would provide but the quality of the audio is there. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

· Banned
8,744 Posts
Quite honestly, while two fronts and a sub is a better setup than the fronts and a center, your money would go further with the center than a sub for now, at least if you intend to get a sub later. You will be compromising on the sub quite a bit if you try to get it and the fronts on $600. You will have a better system overall if you wait and save for the sub. In my opinion, the real magic starts to happen in the subwoofer world at around $700 to $800. At around that point you can get stuff from Epik, or the more heavy-duty stuff from Elemental Designs, HSU, SVS, Outlaw, etc. If you ask me, it's worth waiting for.

But for $500 to $600, you can get good fronts and a center. Here are some deals:
SVS SCS-01m "front three" package , $489
ED A6 6T6 fronts and center , $476 (use the speaker package builder to put that together)
HSU Research HB-1/HC-1 sale , $505, I don't know how much longer this sale will last, but these are great speakers.

TSC TC2 Center with TST2 towers , $550 or you can downgrade to the TST1's for $450

Axiom Audio VP100 v2 Center with M3 v2 Bookshelf speakers , $585

Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 se fronts with CMT-340 SE Center , $618

These are all internet direct companies, they are a great value, but there are many good speakers out there, and hopefully you will get some more recommendations from others so you have lots of options to choose from.

· Registered
1,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/16872868

Quite honestly, while two fronts and a sub is a better setup than the fronts and a center, your money would go further with the center than a sub for now, at least if you intend to get a sub later. You will be compromising on the sub quite a bit if you try to get it and the fronts on $600. You will have a better system overall if you wait and save for the sub. In my opinion, the real magic starts to happen in the subwoofer world at around $700 to $800. At around that point you can get stuff from Epik, or the more heavy-duty stuff from Elemental Designs, HSU, SVS, Outlaw, etc. If you ask me, it's worth waiting for.

But for $500 to $600, you can get good fronts and a center. Here are some deals:
SVS SCS-01m "front three" package , $489
ED A6 6T6 fronts and center , $476 (use the speaker package builder to put that together)
HSU Research HB-1/HC-1 sale , $505, I don't know how much longer this sale will last, but these are great speakers.

TSC TC2 Center with TST2 towers , $550 or you can downgrade to the TST1's for $450

Axiom Audio VP100 v2 Center with M3 v2 Bookshelf speakers , $585

Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 se fronts with CMT-340 SE Center , $618

These are all internet direct companies, they are a great value, but there are many good speakers out there, and hopefully you will get some more recommendations from others so you have lots of options to choose from.

All good choices, and you're getting a lot more for your money going I.D. (Usually). THough I don't think shipping is included in those prices.

Also, another thing about the sub - hate to break it to you, but you won't find a good quality sub to fill your area (that's pretty big) in the $500 range. There's lots of subs in that price range, but they will sound boomy and wont' pressurize that room. If you're really tight on that budget, even though it is less 'boom' for your buck, I'd get the 3 speakers (check each one out - all very good speaker companies and all have excellent reputations) and see which would appeal more (some may be offering free shipping right now). Then, save save save for a subwoofer. I.D. is the way to go there, and a good one delivered to your door will cost upwards of $1000 (a lot more depending on what you're getting). But, for a grand, there are a lot of great subs out there from SVS, ED, HSU, Rythmic, Epik, Axiom, etc.

Tough choice, you won't go wrong going two mains and a sub now either, you just won't get a very good sub for your room in that budget ($600 max - decent front speakers will run you $300 min, not leave much left for a quality sub).

· The Village Idiot
9,905 Posts
A pair of used speakers are often a better buy than new. Take a look at the Infinity Beta 50s with C360 center. Great sound and the price will be good too.

These will be at least as good as any new speaker at the same price. This very combo sold this morning for under $400. I bought the C360 center for $213 shipped. Those towers are worth more than that! Easily!

· Banned
8,744 Posts
These speakers all have different strengths. Without a sub, you might go for something that has a lower roll-off, so you can get some bass in the meantime until you can afford a subwoofer. I would guess that the ED's would roll off lower than the SVS, given the larger woofer size and larger enclosure. Better than both of those for subwoofer-less bass performance is the TSC speakers; those towers claim to go down to 30 hertz, and, although I doubt they will do that with authority, they will do better than any of the bookshelf speakers. The HSU's also do well with low frequency performance, especially the HC-1, and I think that the Axioms and the Ascends would do good also.

Here's another option you have available: you can get three Emotiva ERM-1 LCR monitors for $450, plus free shipping. I think your Denon could easily handle the four ohm load. Or you could replace one of the ERM 1's with a ERM 6.2 center for $600, but you don't get free shipping.

Where you go from any of these systems is an interesting route. For instance, with the Emotiva's, once you've gathered the money, you can shift the ERM-1s to rear duty, get another ERM 6.2 for the front, and get the ERM 6.3 for a center . That would be a terrific setup, it would sound great.

With the SVS, you could, after gathering the money, place the two front SCS's as rears, and get a pair of STS towers as fronts, that would also be a fantastic system. With Ascend, shift the CBMs to the rear and get CMT fronts . With Axiom, put the M3's in back and get M22 fronts . With the TSC speakers, you are don't really have room for a substantial upgrade. With the HSUs, you can get some HC-1s as massive fronts (but you have to reconfigure the tweeters). You get the idea.

My point is, whatever you buy now can lead you to a much more powerful setup down the road. If you factor that into your purchase, you will end up with that much better of a system later on. Especially with the speakers mentioned above which can serve multiple roles well in a surround sound system.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/16877201

These speakers all have different strengths. Without a sub, you might go for something that has a lower roll-off, so you can get some bass in the meantime until you can afford a subwoofer. I would guess that the ED's would roll off lower than the SVS, given the larger woofer size and larger enclosure. Better than both of those for subwoofer-less bass performance is the TSC speakers; those towers claim to go down to 30 hertz, and, although I doubt they will do that with authority, they will do better than any of the bookshelf speakers. The HSU's also do well with low frequency performance, especially the HC-1, and I think that the Axioms and the Ascends would do good also.

Here's another option you have available: you can get three Emotiva ERM-1 LCR monitors for $450, plus free shipping. I think your Denon could easily handle the four ohm load. Or you could replace one of the ERM 1's with a ERM 6.2 center for $600, but you don't get free shipping.

Where you go from any of these systems is an interesting route. For instance, with the Emotiva's, once you've gathered the money, you can shift the ERM-1s to rear duty, get another ERM 6.2 for the front, and get the ERM 6.3 for a center . That would be a terrific setup, it would sound great.

With the SVS, you could, after gathering the money, place the two front SCS's as rears, and get a pair of STS towers as fronts, that would also be a fantastic system. With Ascend, shift the CBMs to the rear and get CMT fronts . With Axiom, put the M3's in back and get M22 fronts . With the TSC speakers, you are don't really have room for a substantial upgrade. With the HSUs, you can get some HC-1s as massive fronts (but you have to reconfigure the tweeters). You get the idea.

My point is, whatever you buy now can lead you to a much more powerful setup down the road. If you factor that into your purchase, you will end up with that much better of a system later on. Especially with the speakers mentioned above which can serve multiple roles well in a surround sound system.

Thanks a lot for your time and all those explanations. i really appreciate, i will look into all those options, try to go around and listen to some of them if possible.

thanks everybody for your help. feel free to advice as you will

· Registered
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/16877201

sorry to interrupt, i just wanted to ask a quick question on this topic.

how well do the Emotiva ERM-1 wall mount (if at all)? does it include brackets or require expensive brackets?

also, any idea how they compare to energy rc-minis or energy rc-mini-CCs ?

I am looking for possibly L/C/R replacement for my back-ordered rc-mini-CCs, but i have to wall mount them next to my lcd. no room for a entertainment shelf/speaker stands/ or tower speakers

· The Village Idiot
9,905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzou0 /forum/post/16880811

sorry to interrupt, i just wanted to ask a quick question on this topic.

how well do the Emotiva ERM-1 wall mount (if at all)? does it include brackets or require expensive brackets?

also, any idea how they compare to energy rc-minis or energy rc-mini-CCs ?

I am looking for possibly L/C/R replacement for my back-ordered rc-mini-CCs, but i have to wall mount them next to my lcd. no room for a entertainment shelf/speaker stands/ or tower speakers

They don't come with wall mounts.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well my choice is coming down to 2 as far as the 3 fronts:

either the Hsu 3 fronts for $505+shipping and tax

or the Paradigm Titan or Mini (still not sure) + a cc190 or cc290 for center.

what you guys think?

it will be on a denon 2310ci

· The Village Idiot
9,905 Posts
You should take another look/think at the Infinity Beta combo I linked to on ebay above. They will sound better than either of those and you won't miss a sub much with dual 8" woofers in each tower...leaving that for another time when you can pour more into one. I have a very similar speaker setup in my bedroom - Infinity IL40 towers - kissing cousin to the Beta 50s - and the Beta C360 center. The sound is very good.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/16890439

You should take another look/think at the Infinity Beta combo I linked to on ebay above. They will sound better than either of those and you won't miss a sub much with dual 8" woofers in each tower...leaving that for another time when you can pour more into one. I have a very similar speaker setup in my bedroom - Infinity IL40 towers - kissing cousin to the Beta 50s - and the Beta C360 center. The sound is very good.

I'll look into it. thank

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok, i went and listen to the Klipsch RF-52 and RF-62. do you think the Hsu speakers or the Paradigm would sound better (even if they are only bookshelfs).

i'd like to know before i do a 3-4 hours drive down to LA to listen to the Hsu

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.